Roster Speculation 2017-18 Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
How so? We'd still have Ennis, Moulson, Gorges, Bogo, and D-Lo. It would mean that Ullmark stays, if that's what you mean.

That's what I mean. I don't see Ennis or Moulson getting selected unless we're giving them something else to improve the value. Bogo probably gets protected to send a good message to the rest of the D and for lack of another reasonable option for the 3rd defenseman slot. Gorges and D-Lo can easily be buried in Rochester for their final year, if necessary. Ullmark is the only asset we stand to lose in expansion that actually has positive expectation for future Buf/Roc teams.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
That's what I mean. I don't see Ennis or Moulson getting selected unless we're giving them something else to improve the value. Bogo probably gets protected to send a good message to the rest of the D and for lack of another reasonable option for the 3rd defenseman slot. Gorges and D-Lo can easily be buried in Rochester for their final year, if necessary. Ullmark is the only asset we stand to lose in expansion that actually has positive expectation for future Buf/Roc teams.

Gotcha...I think they send something to LV for not taking Ullmark. Losing Ullmark would be a tough pill to swallow when compared with our other options.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Bogosian-Lovejoy

I think we need to accept that building the defensive heavy lifting pair that alleviates Risto... is not going to happen in 1 offseason... we don't have a single known component of that pairing at the moment.

Bogosian does seems to play well on his off side. I want to see him again in a new system where he's not asked to do things he struggles to do.... read the play, make stretch passes. He's a horse that needs to have a green light to go.

Regarding the defensive pairing... I wonder if Bogosian redux with Ristolainen works? Then McCabe with someone on the right side.

Maybe Florida will trade us Pysyk back. :laugh:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
The list of players misused under Bylsma:

Bogosian: wild horse asked to be a decision maker.
Reinhart: center asked to be a dump-and-chase winger.
Girgensons: combo grinder and possession player put on lower lines for two years.

Overused:

Ristolainen: he's Letang with a hitting game. He's not a shutdown defender.
ROR: way overused in all situations.

I want to see all of them in an up tempo possession system before passing judgment.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Bogosian does seems to play well on his off side. I want to see him again in a new system where he's not asked to do things he struggles to do.... read the play, make stretch passes. He's a horse that needs to have a green light to go.

Regarding the defensive pairing... I wonder if Bogosian redux with Ristolainen works? Then McCabe with someone on the right side.

Maybe Florida will trade us Pysyk back. :laugh:

yea, i'd like to see Bogo-Risto too...

Just make Bogo's game simple:
1. Eliminate your man and/or his space (punish him when possible)
2. Get puck
3. Skate

Don't make him over think it

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
yea, i'd like to see Bogo-Risto too...

Just make Bogo's game simple:
1. Eliminate your man and/or his space (punish him when possible)
2. Get puck
3. Skate

Don't make him over think it

Yep. Bogosian under Nolan was who we thought we were trading for.

Bogosian-Ristolainen playing a physical game together would be tough to play against. Crazy-Bogo could do a lot of standing up for Ristolainen after he starts his mind games.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Yep. Bogosian under Nolan was who we thought we were trading for.

Bogosian-Ristolainen playing a physical game together would be tough to play against. Crazy-Bogo could do a lot of standing up for Ristolainen after he starts his mind games.

This setup would fit nice if we could snag brodin.

Let him and McCabe eat some tough minutes and let antipin and whoever is left get the easy matchup.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
IDK about Bogosian-Ristolainen. Who is the one stepping up and gambling, and who is the one ready to stay back or get back quick? I don't like the thought of either one constantly covering up for the other. Will need some defensive minded wingers out there with them.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I'm tired of spending over 5 million per trying to ascertain who the real Zack Bogosian is. I just don't care anymore. They guy's completely brain dead. Time to cut our losses and move on.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
IDK about Bogosian-Ristolainen. Who is the one stepping up and gambling, and who is the one ready to stay back or get back quick? I don't like the thought of either one constantly covering up for the other. Will need some defensive minded wingers out there with them.

Both of them. AT THE SAME TIME. :sarcasm:

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I'm tired of spending over 5 million per trying to ascertain who the real Zack Bogosian is. I just don't care anymore. They guy's completely brain dead. Time to cut our losses and move on.

This isn't exactly where I'm at. I'd leave him exposed. If he gets taken, great, if not see what happens with him this year I guess.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

I think a good amount of posters know who the real Bogosian is. Unfortunately, we had a coach who for 2 years had no clue who he was.

7 11 14

Jan 18, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I think this team needs Housley. The defense is not nearly as talented as Nashville's, but we have mobility, and that's what Houlsey has really pushed with the Preds. Bogo, McCabe, Risto, Antipin, possibly Guhle, they all can skate pretty/very well. I'd love to see them have some freedom in their game. If we can snag Makar in the draft too, all the better.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I think this team needs Housley. The defense is not nearly as talented as Nashville's, but we have mobility, and that's what Houlsey has really pushed with the Preds. Bogo, McCabe, Risto, Antipin, possibly Guhle, they all can skate pretty/very well. I'd love to see them have some freedom in their game. If we can snag Makar in the draft too, all the better.

In the long run that's a nice idea -- yet even if we draft a mobile dman, they're likely 2-3 years away from making the team. Guhle is likely a season away from making an impact on the roster.

Your idea is nice if we keep Bogo and Antipin beyond this year and our two young defenseman are ready.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Some people are really romanticizing 21 games of Bogosian on a team that never had the puck so he could hit a lot. What can he do for me with a team that's better? He looks like a monkey humping a football trying to get the puck past his own blueline. He has a near zero hockey sense and his partner always has to bail him out. And he's never healthy.

Let's move on.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Some people are really romanticizing 21 games of Bogosian on a team that never had the puck so he could hit a lot. What can he do for me with a team that's better? He looks like a monkey humping a football trying to get the puck past his own blueline. He has a near zero hockey sense and his partner always has to bail him out. And he's never healthy.

Let's move on.

There is plenty of video of him playing for Winnipeg. He wasn't a wreck, ask Jets fans how they liked Bogosian.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
The list of players misused under Bylsma:

Bogosian: wild horse asked to be a decision maker.
Reinhart: center asked to be a dump-and-chase winger.
Girgensons: combo grinder and possession player put on lower lines for two years.

Overused:

Ristolainen: he's Letang with a hitting game. He's not a shutdown defender.
ROR: way overused in all situations.

I want to see all of them in an up tempo possession system before passing judgment.

This is a great comment. I'd add:

Forcing Gorges-Risto, Kane-Eichel (and Gionta at times), when it was clearly not working

Playing Gorges and Des, period.

Completely distrustful of young talent (aside from Jack and Risto) and over reliance on vets. This was a common complaint of Pens fans too.

Edit: I forgot to add that Bylsma never seemed to like Eichel and Girgs together, even though it seemed to work almost every time it was tried. Of course, that meant he'd rarely try it

Honestly, the roster as is would probably be capable of 8-10 more points given competent coaching.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad