Roster Speculation 2017-18 Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Undo the acceleration idea. Not tied to it, just throwing it out to the board to get thoughts. I used the trade gadget on draft wired to judge some of the trades.

Calgary: on the trade board, a Calgary fan posted the idea of trading 16OA for a goalie. Taking GMJB's statement on Lehner into account, Lehner for 16OA?
Boston/Edmonton/Montreal: Kane for a first.
Dallas: Looking to dump Niemi.

Expansion Draft and Entry Draft trades:
- Buffalo trades LW Brandon Hagel to Vegas for future considerations (not selecting G Linus Ullmark)
- Buffalo trades 8OA and 55OA to Vegas for 6OA. Buffalo selects RHD Cale Makar.
- Buffalo trades G Robin Lehner and RHD Will Borgen to Calgary for 16OA. Buffalo then trades 16OA and 37OA to Detroit for 9OA. Buffalo selects LHD Jusso Valimaki.
- Buffalo trades LW Evander Kane to Edmonton for 22OA. Buffalo selects C/LW/RW Lias Andersson.
- Buffalo trades 89OA to Dallas for G Antti Niemi and 39OA. Buffalo selects C Joni Ikonen.

Buffalo Draft:
6OA: RHD Cale Makar
9OA: LHD Jusso Valimaki
22OA: F Lias Andersson
39OA: F Joni Ikonen
68OA: RHD Luke Martin

Free Agency:
- Sign LHD Brendan Smith
- Sign RW Justin Williams
- Sign RW Brian Gionta
- Sign G Chad Johnson

Opening Night:
Girgensons - Eichel - Williams
Carrier - O'Reilly - Okposo
Moulson/Ennis - Reinhart - Rodriguez
Foligno - Larsson - Gionta

McCabe - Ristolainen
Smith - Bogosian
Hainsey - Antipin
Gorges

Niemi
Johnson

Reasoning: The defense isn't helped in the short-term as much as expected. But Smith is a top 4 defender, and if Antipin works out, he could displace Bogosian. Also, the forwards aren't bolstered tremendously. And goal is downgraded, even if just for a season. However, this lineup could work with a possession, up-tempo system.

The benefit is in stocking the pipeline. Makar, Valimaki, and Martin re-stock the defense. Andersson is the type of forward you want on your team in May and June. Plus, he can play all three positions. Ikonen is also center/wing versatile, and has some of the same upside as Asplund. Rochester keeps the young forwards and adds in Guhle.

Very much a future-based off-season. Thoughts?

I certainly don't think Lehner has that much value. I also don't see the value in stocking up picks in a weak draft. Seems a lot more like shuffling pieces rather than any real improvement. Also...i think smith is going to get overpaid. Anything longer than 3 years and more than 4M per is pretty hard overpayment. 2 years, 3.5 per? Sure. 4 years, 4.5 per? Gag.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Hehehe... It's like calling out Beetlejuice three times. :D

Zemgus Girgensons (RFA), Justin Bailey, 2nd round (54th overall)
for
Vladamir Sobotka (3.5x3) and David Perron (3.75x1)

St Louis clears ~5 million in cap space.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
for

I don't mind moving girgensons at this point. But....Part of me really wants to see him given top 6 minutes consistently at this point in his career. He can skate, works hard, has a good shot, plays the body. Seems like he just needs to get under a coach who will work with him.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I don't mind moving girgensons at this point. But....Part of me really wants to see him given top 6 minutes consistently at this point in his career. He can skate, works hard, has a good shot, plays the body. Seems like he just needs to get under a coach who will work with him.

yea, Girgensons is on the short list of players who could benefit exponentially from the coaching change

LetsDoughBuffalo

Apr 4, 2014
I really don't get the utter hatred for Bogosian as a player on this team. There is absolutely no way I'd rather see Bogo taken in expansion over Moulson or Ennis.

Am I the only one that thinks Bogo is still a very useful player for the Sabres? I get he has a big salary, but I really feel like he's going to improve under a new coach.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
yea, Girgensons is on the short list of players who could benefit exponentially from the coaching change

I really don't get the utter hatred for Bogosian as a player on this team. There is absolutely no way I'd rather see Bogo taken in expansion over Moulson or Ennis.

Am I the only one that thinks Bogo is still a very useful player for the Sabres? I get he has a big salary, but I really feel like he's going to improve under a new coach.

These posts go hand in hand. There are a couple of players who should benefit from a new HC and Bogosian on the blueline and Girgensons up front. ZG has never seemed to be the same after he had that "little talk" with Disco early in Bylsma's first year. Bogosian... I'd like him to bounce back and if he's free to skate and attack, great. He needs a steady partner (not McCabe, who seems to have similar strengths and weaknesses to Bogo at this point).

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY

Certainly don't want to see him go to Vegas over Moulson or Ennis, but I also think paying a 3rd pairing RD $5 million + is a foolish waste, if he slips below Antipin on the right side.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
These posts go hand in hand. There are a couple of players who should benefit from a new HC and Bogosian on the blueline and Girgensons up front. ZG has never seemed to be the same after he had that "little talk" with Disco early in Bylsma's first year. Bogosian... I'd like him to bounce back and if he's free to skate and attack, great. He needs a steady partner (not McCabe, who seems to have similar strengths and weaknesses to Bogo at this point).

exactly

Just go watch those 30 games after we acquired him, under Nolan... there's no way that guy isn't useful this year.

LetsDoughBuffalo

Apr 4, 2014
Does anybody think it's a possibility that Kulikov might sign with Vegas during their window?

That would count as our pick, right?

Sheesh that would take a lot of worry off of losing Ullmark, but it'd be disappointing to see Ennis', Moulson's, and Gorges' contracts still here...

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Does anybody think it's a possibility that Kulikov might sign with Vegas during their window?

Sheesh that would take a lot of worry off of losing Ullmark, but it'd be disappointing to see Ennis', Moulson's, and Gorges' contracts still here...

If Kulikov signs with Vegas, it counts as our expansion player. I guess it could happen, we really don't have anything of serious value available to them.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Kulikov can't sign with them until July 1st.

No, Vegas has a 72hr window leading up to the expansion draft where they can negotiate with any RFA/UFA players who are not on their teams' protected lists. Any free agents signed during that period count as Vegas' selection from their former team.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
No, Vegas has a 72hr window leading up to the expansion draft where they can negotiate with any RFA/UFA players who are not on their teams' protected lists. Any free agents signed during that period count as Vegas' selection from their former team.

I must've missed that. :laugh: Hey, if they want Kulikov... more power to them.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I did not know that it counted as a selection. Very interesting.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
There's speculation that Vegas may sign Franson as their Buffalo selection, that would work just fine.

That's not a good outcome for us. I'm still hoping for one of Moulson or Ennis, even if we have to tack on a pick.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I like Smith in the right role, but it is worth noting that he has never played 20 minutes a night over the course of a season. Last year was his most at 19. He's solid for what he is, and I wouldn't mind him at all as one of the guys on a defense oriented pairing, but to me he's much more "solid 4/5 option" than bonafide top 4 upgrade.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

exactly

Just go watch those 30 games after we acquired him, under Nolan... there's no way that guy isn't useful this year.

My biggest issue with Bogosian is figuring out where he fits in. The obvious answer is on the 2nd or third pairing, along with Risto and Antipin as the two other right side defensemen. The issue then is there's three different players that I want in offensive roles on three different pairings. all that is to say, Antipin and Bogosian can't both be on two different pairings from Risto AND not have Risto's pairing be the defensive heavy lifting pairing.

Is Bogosian-Antipin a crazy third pairing?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
My biggest issue with Bogosian is figuring out where he fits in. The obvious answer is on the 2nd or third pairing, along with Risto and Antipin as the two other right side defensemen. The issue then is there's three different players that I want in offensive roles on three different pairings. all that is to say, Antipin and Bogosian can't both be on two different pairings from Risto AND not have Risto's pairing be the defensive heavy lifting pairing.

Is Bogosian-Antipin a crazy third pairing?

Bogosian-Lovejoy

I think we need to accept that building the defensive heavy lifting pair that alleviates Risto... is not going to happen in 1 offseason... we don't have a single known component of that pairing at the moment.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
There's speculation that Vegas may sign Franson as their Buffalo selection, that would work just fine.

How so? We'd still have Ennis, Moulson, Gorges, Bogo, and D-Lo. It would mean that Ullmark stays, if that's what you mean.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Per Jackson, ND's coach, he's part of the team and practicing but not playing. What I'd love to know is why.

My gut---either academic probation in the spring semester thus could not play or he did something and was suspended for a semester, or personal family thing like mom/dad having cancer.

for

We give ST Louis a break on their salary cap---not interested.

I agree with others---ZG and ZB should be re-evaluated under a new coach.

Vegas can sign a teams UFA in a 72 hr window and that would count as their expansion pick selection from that club,

In the expansion draft Vegas realistically can only take on about 15 higher priced players totaling around $60M in cap space. the rest that make up the 23 would likely be players who ended their ELCs or finished a bridge deal and still an RFA.

then the top 23 players amount to about $66M in cap space.

If they take more players than 15 its likely means a trade will occurwhere team X asked Vegas to select player A from team Y and trade him to them for stuff.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Bogosian-Lovejoy

I think we need to accept that building the defensive heavy lifting pair that alleviates Risto... is not going to happen in 1 offseason... we don't have a single known component of that pairing at the moment.

I think McCabe could be part of it if we brought in a stud defensive dman to go with him. He's the kind of jack of all trades D that can be fine anywhere, and great nowhere. And I think Guhle could be part of it long term.

But all this is why I'd literally sell the farm for a stud defensive D like Tanev or Ryan Murray. The value cannot be overstated. Look at all the bodies Chicago funneled through with Hammer. And look at what Doumilin is becoming for Pittsburgh. We need that for this team to take the next step. I'd say it's the single biggest piece missing from whatever the hell formula you want to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad