Roster Speculation 2017-18 Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Give them Kane and add a mid round pick (4th?) to get their 1st. Get one of Andersson or Valimaki depending on what you get at 8. Profit.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I think we're going to get less than anyone wants in a Kane trade. If he's part of the problem in the room or you aren't going to sign him no matter what then you take what you can get.

I'm a fan of the player but recognize there are reasons that moving him might be right anyway.

The question to me is always how close the value of a return could be. If it isn't...like I said...I'm a fan of the player.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Give them Kane and add a mid round pick (4th?) to get their 1st. Get one of Andersson or Valimaki depending on what you get at 8. Profit.

I don't think anyone is giving up a first for one year of Kane and a 4th.

Picks are overvalued around the draft. They get undervalued at the TDL.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I don't think anyone is giving up a first for one year of Kane and a 4th.

Picks are overvalued around the draft. They get undervalued at the TDL.

If they pre-reach an agreement on extension that would be a realistic price I think. They do need scoring wingers. Unfortunately when Kane goes, we will too so I'm a bit split on that. But if we get 11OA and have 8OA that's 2 potentially excellent young players in the farm for the years to come.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If they pre-reach an agreement on extension that would be a realistic price I think. They do need scoring wingers. Unfortunately when Kane goes, we will too so I'm a bit split on that. But if we get 11OA and have 8OA that's 2 potentially excellent young players in the farm for the years to come.

Given Kane's injury history and all the off ice baggage, I would be stunned if Botts could get a 1st for him this offseason, even if an extension were agreed to.

If Kane starts the season with the Sabres, the only way I see him returning a 1st is if he's healthy, productive, and not a distraction and Botts sells him at the TDL.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Given Kane's injury history and all the off ice baggage, I would be stunned if Botts could get a 1st for him this offseason, even if an extension were agreed to.

If Kane starts the season with the Sabres, the only way I see him returning a 1st is if he's healthy, productive, and not a distraction and Botts sells him at the TDL.

You don't think Kane would net a 1st? A 25 year old who was 8th in the NHL in even strength scoring, on a team that was almost last in scoring.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
You don't think Kane would net a 1st? A 25 year old who was 8th in the NHL in even strength scoring, on a team that was almost last in scoring.

I don't think GMs just look at Kane's ES goals when looking at what to give up for him.

The Sabres gave up a lot more ES goals than they scored with Kane on the ice.

He has one year before UFA.

He makes over $5M against the cap.

He has off ice baggage.

Add all that up and I think it would be surprising if Botts were able to land a 1st rounder straight up for Kane.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Yeah...in 2020
The Sabres shouldn't be pushing to win now anyways, Murray was a fool trying to excellerate this rebuild. I think we need to pump the breaks on expectations of winning now. Getting an extra first and setting ourselves up for the future when Eichel, Risto and Reinhart are in their prime is perfect.

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
The Sabres shouldn't be pushing to win now anyways, Murray was a fool trying to excellerate this rebuild. I think we need to pump the breaks on expectations of winning now. Getting an extra first and setting ourselves up for the future when Eichel, Risto and Reinhart are in their prime is perfect.

I couldn't possibly disagree more. Time to win is now while 15 and 23 are cheap. Do your best to dump Ennis, Moulson, Bogosian, Foligno, etc and go for it. The fans and probably the Pegulas aren't going to wait 3 years for a good team. See Toronto and Edmonton. Bylsma got two years before he was shown the door. So did Rex Ryan. Win now

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Edmonton was bad for like 10 years collecting top picks. Using them as a example of turning it around fast is hilarious.

Captain Holt

Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
Edmonton was bad for like 10 years collecting top picks. Using them as a example of turning it around fast is hilarious.

We've been bad for 5 years. Is that not long enough? You want to sign up for three more?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I couldn't possibly disagree more. Time to win is now while 15 and 23 are cheap. Do your best to dump Ennis, Moulson, Bogosian, Foligno, etc and go for it. The fans and probably the Pegulas aren't going to wait 3 years for a good team. See Toronto and Edmonton. Bylsma got two years before he was shown the door. So did Rex Ryan. Win now
Eichel, Reinhart and Risto aren't ready yet to carry the team to win now since they are all still learning to win and play consistent.

Edmonton is the worst example and Toronto hasn't made the playoffs since Sundin unless you count the lock out half season when they choked against Boston. Both example's are horrible.

We've been bad for 5 years. Is that not long enough? You want to sign up for three more?
No but you do realize we completely tore everything down? You can't just slap band aids over all our weaknesses and pretend to win now sacrificing the future when the future is really gonna matter when our top prospects are in their prime.

The worst thing I can think of is our top prospects being so good but the depth completely lacking because we pushed now when the team wasn't ready.

Captain Holt

Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
Eichel, Reinhart and Risto aren't ready yet to carry the team to win now since they are all still learning to win and play consistent.

Edmonton is the worst example and Toronto hasn't made the playoffs since Sundin unless you count the lock out half season when they choked against Boston. Both example's are horrible.

No but you do realize we completely tore everything down? You can't just slap band aids over all our weaknesses and pretend to win now sacrificing the future when the future is really gonna matter when our top prospects are in their prime.

Edmonton was bad enough to get lucky and win a lottory and Toronto was a last place team.
Both are LIGHTYEARS ahead of Buffalo

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Edmonton was bad enough to get lucky and win a lottory and Toronto was a last place team.
Both are LIGHTYEARS ahead of Buffalo
Yes they are, that's why Im wondering why your comparing them to us as the reason we need to win now.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Because it didn't take very long at all. Again, Toronto was last place and Edmonton won a lottery and won 3rd the next year
but it did, it took Edmonton 10 years to build a team and make the playoffs. Toronto hasn't made the playoffs in a full season since the lockout of 2004. Yes both teams lucked out and one got a generational talent and the other a guaranteed superstar centre. If you look back at Toronto's struggles, after they lost Sundin they have never had a 1C and that has costed them. You could say that they rushed their original rebuild by not drafting Seguin who could have been their 1C for Kessel and tried to fill the gap with Bozak.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
8, 55, 99 for 6. Take Makar.
Kane, 37 for 11. Take Valimaki.

D fixed.

So we score less goals this year and improve the defense 3 years from now? I love the idea of adding those two but I'm looking at getting young nhl ready guys not guys 3 years out.

If there's no market for Kane now you hold him until the deadline when teams will overpay for him and hope 3/4 of a year in rochester has nylander ready to step in for kane.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
We had a bad coach and a lot of injuries last year. We are not as bad as the results from last year but neither are we cup contenders with a few tweaks. Not yet..A coach who uses the players properly (especially Reinhart, Girgensons and Bogosian), steady goaltending (up in the air about Lehner et al), addition of some speed with skill up front (Nylander and?). and the addition of Antipin and another Dman will set us up to be a playoff team. A top player at 8OA and judicious use of our second round picks combined with hoped for development of Guhle, Asplund and Pu could mean cup contender in 2 or 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad