Roster Speculation 2015-16 Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The cap killed the goalie.

I would say it's less the cap and more a refinement of technique, equipment and team defense that killed putting huge resources into goalies.

There are just way too many guys who are competent, well trained and huge, that have excellent team support to make the small difference between a Lundquist and a Crawford.

While the cap certainly exasperates the issue from a team building view, the difference between elite and average now is a tiny gap compared to twenty years ago.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The fact that this overall concept is being debated makes me laugh a bit. I mean this has been the league landscape for at leather last 7-8 years. I think it's safe to say a goalie hasn't been worth elite money to your team since the early aughts.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Wait a second.

It's the post season.

That looks like a PRESS CONFERENCE with the GM and Coach

And they talked about summer plans and specific players

Was that a POST SEASON PRESS CONFERENCE

QUICK, SUMMON THE HARRINGTONS. I NEED HOT TAKES. SOMEONE PLEASE GET ME SOME HOT TAKES

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Why does Hodgson have have to work on his skating and conditioning? He goes to Gary Roberts and He skates smart.

Sorry, I'll go away.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Zadorov

So he's penciled in for a roster spot and its his to lose. I thought they would take the approach that he has to win a spot in training camp.

I guess this makes sense. It shows confidence in the player that he is an NHL'er (as long as he commits to being ready). Either way they need to add more depth on defense. More so for Rochester by the sounds of it.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
No mention of Larsson, I think he might be the package trade bait rather than Grigorenko

Maybe he wasn't mentioned because his position isn't in question. There were more questions about Zadoro, Reinhart, Hodgson, and Grigorenko imo. Larsson slots in pretty comfortably anywhere in the line-up at center or wing.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
Hopefully Reinhart is putting that much effort into improving his skating as well..

I think you'll be really happy with Hodgsons play when he comes back next year. Nolan kinda ruined him last year, give him a chance to get it back. If he falters, move on.

If Reinhart can skate next year we could have a decent little team on our hands. I don't know why I worry so much about Reinhart

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I would say it's less the cap and more a refinement of technique, equipment and team defense that killed putting huge resources into goalies.

There are just way too many guys who are competent, well trained and huge, that have excellent team support to make the small difference between a Lundquist and a Crawford.

While the cap certainly exasperates the issue from a team building view, the difference between elite and average now is a tiny gap compared to twenty years ago.
Before the Cap, the marginal difference between goaltenders had no costs aside from pure dollars. It's how pretty much all the best netminders that weren't Hasek ended up on the best teams (and it eventually happened to him as well). Now, you sign a high dollar goalie at the expense of skater talent, which is practically guaranteed to make your team less competitive.

Bps21*

Hopefully Reinhart is putting that much effort into improving his skating as well..

I think you'll be really happy with Hodgsons play when he comes back next year. Nolan kinda ruined him last year, give him a chance to get it back. If he falters, move on.

If Reinhart can skate next year we could have a decent little team on our hands. I don't know why I worry so much about Reinhart

Here's them problem with that...you have to decide to move on earlier than that. Right now the buyout is super cheap. If you give this terrible terrible terrible player...who also now couldn't score...another chance and it turns out the way it is assuredly going to turn out...you just stuck yourself with an immovable bad contract and no cheap buyout.

I'll ask for them mlliionth time...where does anyone think he fits? He's not a top 6 forward on a good team. And He can't play defense even a little. Banish him. Failure to act means getting stuck with a hopeless case...who we now have to hope finds his scoring so he can be a terrible player who scores sometimes.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Maybe he wasn't mentioned because his position isn't in question. There were more questions about Zadoro, Reinhart, Hodgson, and Grigorenko imo. Larsson slots in pretty comfortably anywhere in the line-up at center or wing.
If he can play RW then I'm all for it because right now LW and C seem pretty full unless Reinhart is in the AHL after struggling. We're incredibly weak at the RW. I'm pretty sure Larsson played LW in Sweeden for some time.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I didn't know Hodgson's agent was Claude Lemieux.

My prediction for Hodgson (if he is not traded or bought out):

He will score 20 goals, still be bad defensively, and be selected in the expansion draft.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Wait a second.

It's the post season.

That looks like a PRESS CONFERENCE with the GM and Coach

And they talked about summer plans and specific players

Was that a POST SEASON PRESS CONFERENCE

QUICK, SUMMON THE HARRINGTONS. I NEED HOT TAKES. SOMEONE PLEASE GET ME SOME HOT TAKES

They only did it because they knew Harrington was not going to be there.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Hmm, I think a see the disconnect, stay tuned...

No I didn't, you're just being stubborn and doctrinaire. If you rank order a list, there will always be something/someone at the bottom of the list. If you rank on value, the last item will be the least valuable on that list. That does not make it valueless.

Valueless and devalued are not the same thing.

Maybe splitting hairs, but I don't think that process will "manufacture" a goaltender.

It will either be manufactured or easily acquired. The evidence on that is quite clear.

...still with me from the top. I'm not using a monetary component when I'm saying "value." I'm just thinking in terms of something like win shares. It's a fine split but I do think there's a tangible difference between goaltenders in terms of their value to winning on a night, and the their value in terms of the overall construction of a roster.

I don't.

A semi-related parting thought. On whatever your list of elite goaltenders is, how many are in the organization that drafted them?

Elite goaltenders is a myth. If the term must be used, it's to differentiate Lundqvist's consistency from all of the other really good goaltenders in any given season.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
So what about Grigorenko? I mean, if they send him to AHL, he'll go through wavers, and I'm not sure some team isn't going to take him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad