Roster Speculation 2015-16 Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Are you counting Ennis on that team?

Eventually, the can't carry all of Hodgson, Ennis and Grigorenko but I agree with you, they all can be on the team next season. It you'd end up with players in non-ideal spots in the lineup and/or on the bench but it's certainly doable.

Yeah, why wouldn't I?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
There's only 13 FWs that are expected to be on the roster so far -

Moulson-Eichel-Ennis
Kane-Girgensons-Reinhart
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta
Deslauriers-McCormick-Hodgson
Grigorenko

Kaleta might be back, but McCormick might not be. Either way, as it stands, there's no pressure for Murray to make a decision on Grigorenko or Hodgson based on the other player being around. I don't mind waiting for one to prove himself next season.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Which? A fully functional Hodgson and Ennis are pretty similar and, at least IMO, Grigorenko could have a future at wing.

I'm still not a huge ennis fan, but at this point in time he's not in the same conversation as Hodgson and Grigs. And I still like both Hodgson and Grigs.

Ennis has grown every year, and even though its just one tournament I was impressed by his play at the world championships this year. He looks to be on a path at being an impact player, while Hodgson and Grigs both still need some "ifs" that need to happen.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
There's only 13 FWs that are expected to be on the roster so far -

Moulson-Eichel-Ennis
Kane-Girgensons-Reinhart
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta
Deslauriers-McCormick-Hodgson
Grigorenko

Kaleta might be back, but McCormick might not be. Either way, as it stands, there's no pressure for Murray to make a decision on Grigorenko or Hodgson based on the other player being around. I don't mind waiting for one to prove himself next season.

The pressure is from bypassing the buyout opportunity because you want to keep him around to play 7 mins/game as a 4RW. You have to envision him getting at least 15 mins a game, minimum 3rd line play to justify keeping.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Do we all see Ennis at RW this year? Seems like we have a lot of natural LW like Matty and Kane or LW/Cs like Larsson and Girgs.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Does anyone actually see a spot on this team for Hodgson when we are good? If not, it's either time to trade him (good luck) or cut your losses. He's as good as gone.

Meh I don't see the urgency to dump him. He's got 4 more years on his deal and this team is a few years out from competing. In the two seasons previous to this one he was .65 ppg. So roughly a 50 point player. I'm willing to bet last year was the outlier. Get him some better linemates, and a coach that has a clue how to use and motivate him properly and I think he'll bounce back. However if he's bought out it won't really bother me, it's not a large cap hit and the money could be used to pursue free agents.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
The pressure is from bypassing the buyout opportunity because you want to keep him around to play 7 mins/game as a 4RW. You have to envision him getting at least 15 mins a game, minimum 3rd line play to justify keeping.

There's no reason to even bring up his future as a 4th liner because he can't and shouldn't make this team as a fourth liner. If he's not bought out one of the reasons will not be because he can play 7 minutes on the fourth line. If Hodgson sticks around its because someone thinks he can be relied on to get to 20 goals on primarily PP minutes and soft o-zone starts.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
I don't understand how there are still people who aren't Tyler Ennis fans? Why not? Currently he is far and away our best player.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I don't understand how there are still people who aren't Tyler Ennis fans? Why not? Currently he is far and away our best player.

some people still see a primarily offensive player who hasn't been especially impressive or consistent offensively

he's certainly higher on my list than Hodgson or Grigorenko

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I still doubt hodgson gets bought out

Good motivational outtactic though

Why sit down with WGR now? It seems like they wanted to get out a controlled message on particular players........for motivational purposes ??

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I'd rather buy out Hodgson in 3 years when we need the cap space and pay for it then than take on a cap hit, albeit a small one, for the next bazillion years.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Definitely. Would Girgensons be at lw? I haven't heard.

I think if Girgenson's plays a top-six role down the line, then it's likely at LW. With that said, I see him at C for the immediate future, allowing for a guy like Reinhart to start on the wing.

I always thought Ennis played LW before the conversion attempt at C, but I would be pleased to him at RW. We're thinner on the right side.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I'd rather buy out Hodgson in 3 years when we need the cap space and pay for it then than take on a cap hit, albeit a small one, for the next bazillion years.

That won't gain much...

He is owed $5.5M his last year which means about $3.66M over 2 yrs. a better move would be to retain his salart and trade him.

Also at this time it would be the time to trade him and possibly Moukson and Ennis with all having 1 yr left and all likely gone after the season.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Moulson always gets a pass and I understand what TM said about him being part of the core now but, I've always had doubts about his long term viability.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Why sit down with WGR now? It seems like they wanted to get out a controlled message on particular players........for motivational purposes ??

Obviously. What other purpose was there?

Hodgson was given 12 million reasons to have the best offseason of his life

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
That won't gain much...

He is owed $5.5M his last year which means about $3.66M over 2 yrs. a better move would be to retain his salart and trade him.

Also at this time it would be the time to trade him and possibly Moukson and Ennis with all having 1 yr left and all likely gone after the season.

Sure. My point is more about how much I hate the idea of taking on a dead cap hit for several seasons (4 I think?) past when his contract would expire anyway.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Reinhart likely to start in the NHL
Grigerenko might be odd man out.

Two items that really shouldn't be revelations. I fully expect Reinhart, short of falling on his face in camp, to be in the top 6 in Buffalo next season.

I guess this makes sense. It shows confidence in the player that he is an NHL'er (as long as he commits to being ready). Either way they need to add more depth on defense. More so for Rochester by the sounds of it.

If Zadorov sticks, it seems McCabe becomes the # 1 in Rochester next year.

No mention of Larsson, I think he might be the package trade bait rather than Grigorenko

There was no need to - Bylsma gushed over Larsson in his hiring P.C. so we know how impressed he was with the player. And Murray noted how much improvement Larsson showed at the end of the season.

I do think the mention of Grigorenko and the numbers game is a foreshadowing of the obvious - that he may get dealt more because of the depth at center than any reflection of his potential.

I didn't know Hodgson's agent was Claude Lemieux.

His agent when first traded to Buffalo was Ritch Winter.

I put money Hodgson is bought out.

I still doubt hodgson gets bought out

Good motivational tactic though

Bob McKenzie, who often has strong reads of things like this, feels Murray was just being coy with the media and that the Sabres have already decided to buy Hodgson out.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-105...on-likely-to-be-bought-out-by-sabres-1.305827

I tend to agree - even if Hodgson becomes Eric Heiden this offseason in his skating, he's still a terrible defensive player and too much of a perimeter player to fit Murray's desired M.O. It was obvious last season that Murray wasn't planning the future around him from what I heard and read him say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium