Roster Speculation 2015-16 Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Something around Grigorenko for Wiercioch (plus pieces on either side)

Would love to pry Wiercioch out of Ottawa, and flip center strength for young-established nhl defense help.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Where, without forcing him in? Are we going to send Grigorenko through waivers because we need to fit Hodgson in somehow?

Kane - Girgensons - Ennis
Mouslon - Eichel - Gionta
Larsson - Reinhart - Grigorenko

Are you planning to make him your 4C? I don't get it.

Maybe you don't get it cuz you've got visions of Gionta in the top 6 dancing your head? :dunno: Heck, it could also be that you're thinking of Girgensens as a 1C and presuming all of Larsson, Reinhart and Grigorenko are in the top 9 - despite that none of them have proven a thing in the NHL, and if not for the oddity that was the 2014/2015 season, none of whom would have even seen any regular time on a genuine NHL roster.

Or maybe it's just cuz that despite your joke a couple pages back about leaving the anti-Hodgson topic alone, you're still trying to stoke the fires? :sarcasm:

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Was the interview not recorded/not available for public consumption? Damn

Yeah, I'd like to actually hear TM's words myself. Taking the paraphrase of a blogger with a thick grain of salt, especially seeing how the tweeter has been has been pushing the much same angles himself.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
What's the reason why the Sens would move him?

We could take on a contract to help them with cap relief (Legwand).

There was a deal much larger in scope a month or so back that Ottawa fans liked:
Something like Grigorenko,Ennis,pick for Lehner,Prince,Wiercioch,pick.

I'd work to condense it to something like...

Grigorenko,1-21 for Wiercioch,1-18,Legwand.

Options to add on our side could be Weber (covering LD) or 2-51.

Note: They aren't up against the actual cap, but they do employ an in-house cap.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I don't understand how there are still people who aren't Tyler Ennis fans? Why not? Currently he is far and away our best player.
Bogosian.

Also because he wasn't actually good last season, just less putrid than the rest of a historically bad roster. He still can't be the first or second option on an NHL first line and his offensive game is more limited than his fans want to admit. Like, every shifty little guy I see him compared to is a significantly better shooter. And he can't play the FES from 2012 role anymore because then he's standing in the way of a kid with more upside.

There are tons of scenarios where trading him for an upgrade and seeing if Hodgson plays well enough get traded cleanly makes sense.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Moulson always gets a pass and I understand what TM said about him being part of the core now but, I've always had doubts about his long term viability.
I'm president of his "love the person hate the player" club.

Between his NTC and the circumstances around his signing, Buffalo won't have the leverage to force him out until he actually proves to be a roadblock to our success, instead of just looking like one on paper.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

The article misses the #1 reason I'm against a buy-out:

Taking on a cap hit, even a small one, for 8 seasons, is just bad business.

I think we can all agree his cap hit won't be a problem for at least 2 seasons. That would get us to two seasons remaining. I have no doubt that we could move the contract then if we need to, baring he hasn't found a way to get worse. Even if we have to retain half the salary, the marginal difference in cap savings (in 3 years of buying him out now versus in 3 years of remaining half his salary) aren't worth continuing to pay out for 4 seasons after the contract would've ended. No thank you at all.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

I've been a champion of trading for O'Reilly (and still am), even though his extension will probably be for $7M+. Landing him would require a lot of prospects and/or roster players going the other way.

Instead of giving up players to get O'Reilly, would Murray try to sign Saad to an offer sheet to a number the Hawks would have a hard time matching ($5-6M?) and just give up the draft picks?

O'Reilly: 24, 6'-0", 200, L, 246 Pts in 427 GP

Saad: 23, 6'-1", 202, L, 126 Pts in 208 GP

:help:

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Bogosian.

Also because he wasn't actually good last season, just less putrid than the rest of a historically bad roster. He still can't be the first or second option on an NHL first line and his offensive game is more limited than his fans want to admit. Like, every shifty little guy I see him compared to is a significantly better shooter. And he can't play the FES from 2012 role anymore because then he's standing in the way of a kid with more upside.

There are tons of scenarios where trading him for an upgrade and seeing if Hodgson plays well enough get traded cleanly makes sense.

Everything in this post is wrong. But hey, you've been grinding the anti-Ennis axe for years, so keep grinding.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I've been a champion of trading for O'Reilly (and still am), even though his extension will probably be for $7M+. Landing him would require a lot of prospects and/or roster players going the other way.

Instead of giving up players to get O'Reilly, would Murray try to sign Saad to an offer sheet to a number the Hawks would have a hard time matching ($5-6M?) and just give up the draft picks?

O'Reilly: 24, 6'-0", 200, L, 246 Pts in 427 GP

Saad: 23, 6'-1", 202, L, 126 Pts in 208 GP

:help:
We are already loaded with Left Wingers with Kane and Moulson taking the top 6 role. If Saad would slide down into 3rd being a 50 point player we could be really deep 3 line team. The other option is seeing if he can play right wing but for the prices being offer sheeted at, you don't pay that for a 3rd liner.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
We are already loaded with Left Wingers with Kane and Moulson taking the top 6 role. If Saad would slide down into 3rd being a 50 point player we could be really deep 3 line team. The other option is seeing if he can play right wing but for the prices being offer sheeted at, you don't pay that for a 3rd liner.

Valid point - and considering that O'Reilly can switch between center and wing pretty effectively, he does offer more versatility...

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
We could take on a contract to help them with cap relief (Legwand).

Grigorenko,1-21 for Wiercioch,1-18,Legwand.

Note: They aren't up against the actual cap, but they do employ an in-house cap.

Didn't they want to get rid of Greening too? Two more years at a $2.65M cap hit.

Greening could go to Rochester and Legwand could be depth for the 4th line. We would be saving Ottawa about $9.5M in actual salary over the next 2 years for players they don't want.

Grigorenko, draft pick(s) for Wiercioch, Anderson, Legwand and Greening

Would any team bet on Hodgson bouncing back? Bad contract, but what if we retain 20%? It would be good for the Sabres because we are eating some of Hodgson's salary for 4 years instead of 8 years (if bought out).

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
Maybe you don't get it cuz you've got visions of Gionta in the top 6 dancing your head? :dunno: Heck, it could also be that you're thinking of Girgensens as a 1C and presuming all of Larsson, Reinhart and Grigorenko are in the top 9 - despite that none of them have proven a thing in the NHL, and if not for the oddity that was the 2014/2015 season, none of whom would have even seen any regular time on a genuine NHL roster.

Or maybe it's just cuz that despite your joke a couple pages back about leaving the anti-Hodgson topic alone, you're still trying to stoke the fires? :sarcasm:

Maybe it's because Hodgson was ****ing horrible last year? There's a weird team ennis vs team Hodgson fight going, but last year Ennis wasn't worthless but Cody was.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Didn't they want to get rid of Greening too? Two more years at a $2.65M cap hit.

Greening could go to Rochester and Legwand could be depth for the 4th line. We would be saving Ottawa about $9.5M in actual salary over the next 2 years for players they don't want.

Grigorenko, draft pick(s) for Wiercioch, Anderson, Legwand and Greening

Would any team bet on Hodgson bouncing back? Bad contract, but what if we retain 20%? It would be good for the Sabres because we are eating some of Hodgson's salary for 4 years instead of 8 years (if bought out).

I honestly think a team like Arizona or Toronto would take Hodgson straight up. He plays in their top 6 for two years, either he recoups value and they keep him or deal him to a better team, or he stays bad and they deal him to whatever team is in lose mode then.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
It's a risk, but I wouldn't buy out Hodgson. Let him come back motivated and have a great season.

Then you either keep him, because he's earned a spot in the future

- or -

you trade him at higher trade value.

If he doesn't bounce back... there's the risk.

Bps21*

I don't k ow why we keep letting him name check moulson as of he is Hodgson in any way. His 5 on 5 numbers dwarf hodgsons and no one is on Cody's league of getting outshot while on the ice. It isn't close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium