GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Round 1-7 (Jun 28-29)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Well, there will be quite a few defenseman available in the 2nd round.

Maybe Ron does use his other picks to try and trade up in the early 2nd round again.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
A draft where just about everybody can be happy with their picks. Parascak to Washington surprised me as did the draft order, but there was a lot of potentially good players in this draft and their progress will be fun to watch later on.

I'm trying to figure out my wish list for the second round, and I've come up with:

Tier One

Cherynosov
Freij - LD
Hutson - LD
Pulkkinen - LD
Stiga

Tier Two

Artamonov
Badinka _ RD
Ritchie
Mews - RD/RW

Tier Three

Wallenius - LD
Elick - RD

Last edited:
Reactions: Irie and majormajor

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
A draft where just about everybody can be happy with their picks. Parascak to Washington surprised me as did the draft order, but there was a lot of potentially good players in this draft and their progress will be fun to watch.

I'm trying to figure out my wish list for the second round, and I've come up with:

Tier One

Cherynosov
Freij - LD
Hutson - LD
Pulkkinen - LD
Stiga

Tier Two

Artamonov
Badinka _ RD
Ritchie
Mews - RD/RW

Tier Three

Wallenius - LD
Elick - RD
We may actually end up drafting 2 D-men in the 2nd round. One of Freij/Pulkkinen and any other in that list would help.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Corey Pronman (the athletic) lists catton teir wise as a bubble all-star and top of the line player. Compares him to logan cooley
That's probably a good comparison. I see him being an incredible playmaker in the NHL. The size is a concern for sure but I feel his incredible vision and IQ will help out a lot in that regard. That plus some muscle would help too .. :)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I am going to pretend this post isn't a subtext comment in my years long debate with @RainyCityHockey

I'm staggered that the Minnesota Wild managed to pick up Zeev Buium. Combine him with Brock Faber and they have the makings of an elite D group. Add in Kirill Kaprizov, and this is a club that I would bet on, however much they have been a perennially "mid" team. I am more confident in them becoming a top club than I am in most of the bottom feeders.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
In the end, Francis did not go for the safe pick; instead, he went for the elite skill pick. Kudos to him for doing so.

He passed on Dickinson for Catton.

This is the exact situation we debated several months ago, when we wanted Catton and expected Francis to pick Dickinson.

Of course, since then Buium emerged and passing on him hurts. But you can't win them all.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
He passed on Dickinson for Catton.

This is the exact situation we debated several months ago, when we wanted Catton and expected Francis to pick Dickinson.

Of course, since then Buium emerged and passing on him hurts. But you can't win them all.
Yeah, I don;t hate the pick, and I actually would have been extremely happy with the pick had Buium not been there, but I can't help but feel that Francis passed on a likely top pairing D with elite hockey sense.

What could have been is haunting me a bit.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Oh, I forgot one surprise: Sennecke going third overall. While, I must say, it surprised me a lot, it was considerably less than it seemed to surprise him. A great moment.

I sympathize with Irie above about Buium, but I am a bit consoled by the fact that 12 other GMs passed on him, too, and that Philly rated Luchanko above him. A lot of people saw flaws that ended up being deal breakers in Buium's case.

Last edited:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I am going to pretend this post isn't a subtext comment in my years long debate with @RainyCityHockey

I'm staggered that the Minnesota Wild managed to pick up Zeev Buium. Combine him with Brock Faber and they have the makings of an elite D group. Add in Kirill Kaprizov, and this is a club that I would bet on, however much they have been a perennially "mid" team. I am more confident in them becoming a top club than I am in most of the bottom feeders.
Well, I think Chicago etc. has a better chance but, OK. :fence:

If it actually happens for the Wild, congratulatiions to them.
It would've only taken them about 25 years....
200.webp

Also, there seem to be some interesting options left, especially on defense.
I wouldn't be surprised if #40 will be used on one of the remaining defenders(Frij, Wallenius or Badinka would be nice) and I also wouldn't mind if Francis would trade up from #63 into the 40 - 50 range.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Though it is probably unkind to mention, if you are looking for a hilarious take on last night's proceedings, check out the Flyers' page. The collective reaction to the trade and the Luchanko pick is a hoot.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
The scouts know it's okay to leave the state, right?:laugh:

Edit: and these kids must be stoked, drafted by their local NHL team.
Second round feels like the right place for Miettinen.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad