Roster Speculation 2015-16 Pt. III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
A number 1 center who nets 30 goals per 82 games over his career and is only 26? Can play both ends of the ice.

Are you basing it purely off Reinhart being the number 2 pick?

I just think the guarantee with Couture would be to hard to pass up.

6 and a half years older,under team control for only 4 more years while Reinhart is under control for at bare minimum 7,already makes 6 mil per, and only has surpassed 30 goals or 60 points two times.

Reinhart is projected as a 2 way center with a ceiling of 75 points.By the time the Sabres are ready to contend Couture will be not only nearing 30 but nearing the end of his contract.Wouldn't even trade Reinhart straight up for him indeed.

And I think everyone will be disappointed if Reinhart only tops out at Couture's level.He is projected to have a 2 way game as good as Patrice Bergeron but an offensive output of 70+ points.Also Couture is nothing special in the playoffs.

Just keep Reinhart and stay the course.We have 2 centers who are going to be elite franchise #1 centers and both are still teenagers.

He's a skilled forward first-most. Just because he has power forward attributes doesn't make him one. For that reason, he looks the best when playing with linemates who are involved in the play. Neither Bozak or Kessel are that kind of forward. Even as a one-timer solution, Bozak is usually pretty damn awful because he's weak when it comes to accessing the middle.

I could certainly seem him fit with Eichel, though. He'd essentially be a force multiplier producing +30 goals, and a package involving Grigorenko would do the job. Add that low first rounder and it even gets closer. The only roadblock are the Sabres who may be interested in trialing him for an additional season. After all, his upside is quite undeniable.

I agree.The Sabres have 3 guys who are capable of 30+ goals a season as of now.Ennis,Kane and Moulson.Eichel obviously too when he is drafted.But it's silly to dismiss JVR as a possible addition because he isn't a selke caliber 2 way player.Some times a player is what he is, a big strong winger who can score 30 goals consistently.There's definitely room for JVR on this sorry team.We need help scoring at ES and the PP.JVR is an immediate upgrade at both areas.He would be a great piece to add as the LW in the top 6 on either Eichel or Reinhart's line with Kane on the other line.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Your projections are my favorite.

Just as a reference if Reinhart becomes who you say he will, he will basically be a more prolific Toews. We are going to win all the cups!

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Your projections are my favorite.

Just as a reference if Reinhart becomes who you say he will, he will basically be a more prolific Toews. We are going to win all the cups!

Mine too :biglaugh:

It's never close either.

God forbid Reinhart ever gets paid more that 4 mil. if he never averages above 55 points a season.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Everything he's done says otherwise

Well, 1.) he's gone against things he's said before and (more importantly) 2.) he's never tried to win games before.

Niemi's options are basically Buffalo or Edmonton, unless he wants to be a backup. I'd like to think we'd have pretty good odds.

Eh, Miller to Vancouver was a curveball to a lot of people. I'm not going to assume Niemi won't have a broader market.

Ghills23

Young Guns
Aug 12, 2006
Buffalo
Eh, Miller to Vancouver was a curveball to a lot of people. I'm not going to assume Niemi won't have a broader market.

I don't think that was much of a curveball. Vancouver had a need at goalie. There wasn't many options out there for Miller to go to a contending team after St. Louis re-signed Elliot. I do agree that Niemi will have a broader market however.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL

Not really. It was known for weeks that they were a favorite to get him.

And I'm struggling to find a spot he'd have a chance to be a starter other than EDM or BUF. Maybe Winnipeg? But that's it.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Not really. It was known for weeks that they were a favorite to get him.

And I'm struggling to find a spot he'd have a chance to be a starter other than EDM or BUF. Maybe Winnipeg? But that's it.

Minny (if Dubnyk goes)
St Louis (if Elliott is traded)
Toronto
Carolina
Dallas (if Lehtonen is traded)
back to SJ

Some more realistic than others.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Minny (if Dubnyk goes) Valid, not banking on that though
St Louis (if Elliott is traded) Jake Allen
Toronto Bernier and Reimer, at least one is staying, and they aren't forking forward UFA money for Niemi
Carolina Possible, but I think they'll stay with Ward
Dallas (if Lehtonen is traded) I don't think anyone will take Lehtonen, and I also think they're going to re-sign Enroth. They also have Jack Campbell.
back to SJ I've read multiple places they don't intend to bring him back

Some more realistic than others.

See above.

So, let's say Edmonton, Buffalo, Carolina, and we'll throw in Dallas.

What makes any of the other three that much better than Buffalo? IMO, we outrank the other three as a desirable market by a long shot.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
1. Example (Myers wasn't against what he said

Wanting to move in last year's draft but didn't (had the juice to go to 28). The stuff about being more competitive from last offseason and during this year.* A goalie may be in play at 31 or 21 from last week.

I agree with you about his public statements on Myers.

*Do you remember the quotes I'm taking about, maybe from around the Arizona games? I tried to find them but I'm blanking.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Wanting to move in last year's draft but didn't (had the juice to go to 28). The stuff about being more competitive from last offseason and during this year.* A goalie may be in play at 31 or 21 from last week.

I agree with you about his public statements on Myers.

*Do you remember the quotes I'm taking about, maybe from around the Arizona games? I tried to find them but I'm blanking.

He tried to move up.

Public statements about "not tanking" aren't relevant here.

And that's the point... His public comments should not be taken as gospel.

Murray hasn't "done" anything to make one believe he values goaltending very highly... To this point. Someone claiming otherwise is doing so to fit their belief

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
See above.

So, let's say Edmonton, Buffalo, Carolina, and we'll throw in Dallas.

What makes any of the other three that much better than Buffalo? IMO, we outrank the other three as a desirable market by a long shot.

Well, we have a market for him beyond BUF/EDM now right? That's what you tasked me with.

I can't speak for desirability. If he wants to win and Dallas is in play, that's the team that's closest to going back the playoffs, right? Edmonton and Buffalo are at similar stages. Carolina would probably be a take-the-money-for-an-open-job situation.

To defend the options you dismissed. St Louis might look for one last gasp, not want to turn the position over to Allen yet, and look for an upgrade over Elliott. If Babcock/Shanny think Niemi (or another goalie) are upgrades I doubt either Bernier or Reimer will stop them. You may be right about San Jose, I haven't followed that either way.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
He tried to move up.

Well, the McDavid stuff and his reaction right after the lottery kinda goes against that right?

Murray hasn't "done" anything to make one believe he values goaltending very highly... To this point. Someone claiming otherwise is doing so to fit their belief

Agreed, and vice versa. I see a lot of posters projecting their beliefs onto comments or moves that Murray makes but that doesn't mean he shares those beliefs and there's a lot of cult of personality surrounding him as well.

I think goaltending is an important position and shouldn't be devalued. Murray has said he believes in drafting big athletic European netminders in the middle rounds each draft. I'm all for that too. He's cycled through low-cost starter options during a bottom-out period. I'm all for that too. If you believe the position isn't valuable, you can use those last two examples to say Murray agrees with you. IMO, nothing he's done or said has revealed his philosophy either way.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Well, the McDavid stuff and his reaction right after the lottery kinda goes against that right?

Agreed, and vice versa. I see a lot of posters projecting their beliefs onto comments or moves that Murray makes but that doesn't mean he shares those beliefs and there's a lot of cult of personality surrounding him as well.

I think goaltending is an important position and shouldn't be devalued. Murray has said he believes in drafting big athletic European netminders in the middle rounds each draft. I'm all for that too. He's cycled through low-cost starter options during a bottom-out period. I'm all for that too. If you believe the position isn't valuable, you can use those last two examples to say Murray agrees with you. IMO, nothing he's done or said has revealed his philosophy either way.

I don't believe, that you believe that.

Pick 2 of the following:
A Vezina Goalie
A Hart Center
A Norris Defender
A Richard Winger
A Selke Center

We have left the age of building from the net out. The goaltending position HAS been devalued. it's over. it's been over.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
I don't believe, that you believe that.

que?

Would you rather have a good goaltender or a poor goaltender?

Pick 2 of the following:
A Vezina Goalie
A Hart Center
A Norris Defender
A Richard Winger
A Selke Center

We have left the age of building from the net out. The goaltending position HAS been devalued. it's over. it's been over.

Say there are 30 Victoria's Secret models in the room. Who's the 30 prettiest? "Pick 2" is an artificial construct.

When the Sabres are competitive again, I'd like them to have one of the best goalies in the league on that team also. Do you really have such a problem with that?

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
don't know where to put this but is Zads getting married this weekend? Grigorenko just posted a picture to Facebook saying "In town for Zadorovs wedding"
Kids wifed up at 20!

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Should mention that the interview period for free agents to talk to other teams begins June 25. Can't sign with other teams until July 1

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
que?

Would you rather have a good goaltender or a poor goaltender?

I'd rather have a good one... and that has zilch to do with the value of the position.

Say there are 30 Victoria's Secret models in the room. Who's the 30 prettiest? "Pick 2" is an artificial construct.

So you think Sergei Bobrovsky = Crosby and Keith? Because you just equated the Vezina Goalie with the Hart Center and the Norris Defensemen.

But I do agree with your anology in the more obvious way... yes, there are plenty of goalies to choose from... it doesn't matter which one you pick

When the Sabres are competitive again, I'd like them to have one of the best goalies in the league on that team also. Do you really have such a problem with that?

I'd like the Sabres to build a great franchise around Centers, 2 way forwards and Defensemen, when they do they will have manufactured a very good goalie along the way

But I do have a problem with the Sabres paying the cost of a goalie viewed as one of the best in the league. I would be completely against that. If we build a great team, and our goalie puts up Lundqvist/Price/Rinne numbers... There's is NO WAY I would pay the cost to retain his services. Next man up.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
He tried to move up.

You're putting words in my mouth. All I said was that he wouldn't take any goalie who walks through the door. And by that I meant that I don't think he would re-sign Neuvy, Enroth, or Lindback. If you claim otherwise, it's you who is trying to fit your belief since Murray has not said or done anything to the contrary.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
You're putting words in my mouth. All I said was that he wouldn't take any goalie who walks through the door. And by that I meant that I don't think he would re-sign Neuvy, Enroth, or Lindback. If you claim otherwise, it's you who is trying to fit your belief since Murray has not said or done anything to the contrary.

again, that's literally ALL he's done so far... take whatever goalies have walked through the door... seriously, that's the exact definition of taking Halak, flipping Halak for Neuvy, flipping Enroth for Lindback, flipping Neuvy for Johnson.

There are reasons for that..."tanking"... but you are claiming he's going to do something different than what he has actually done... and there is really no basis for those claims

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Re: Goalies.

I disagree that you can pick "any" goalie out of the pack and be fine. In regular season, that may be the case. Lots of goalies will have good regular seasons based on the teams in front of them. Turek, Cechmanek, Gerber, Neuvirth, Elliot, Tugnutt, Nittymaki, the list goes on. Goalies that do well during a regular season but crash in the playoffs.

Goaltending matters at some level. Is it AS important as it was during the early 90s? No. The ability to compete and handle things under pressure are important. The ability to make that big save, as cliche as it sounds, its important. You put an average goalie behind a good defensive team, the goalie will put up great numbers, but he won't be a great goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad