Roster Speculation 2015-16 Pt. III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmack224

Aug 18, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I wouldn't trade Reinhart for Couture straight up.

A number 1 center who nets 30 goals per 82 games over his career and is only 26? Can play both ends of the ice.

Are you basing it purely off Reinhart being the number 2 pick?

I just think the guarantee with Couture would be to hard to pass up.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Assuming Murray thinks Lehner could be our long term solution in the crease, I could be convinced to give up Grigorenko and a pick for him, but I'd really hate that pick to be our 21 or 31 this year. I would reserve those picks for moving up or for a big name, ROR-type of trade. I'd hate to lose that asset on a goalie.

Does anyone think Murray would really consider 21 + Grigo for Lehner? Not the end of the world, but it would make the draft much less exciting, for starters.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
A number 1 center who nets 30 goals per 82 games over his career and is only 26? Can play both ends of the ice.

Are you basing it purely off Reinhart being the number 2 pick?

I just think the guarantee with Couture would be to hard to pass up.

It's more about my feeling that it's way too early to jettison off core youngsters for guys that make $6M+ and will hit UFA right around when the Sabres young core will be ready to be Cup contenders.

Plus, I'll roll the dice that Reinhart gets near his ceiling and is a better player than Couture.

tmack224

Aug 18, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Im for it, SJ probably isnt looking for a player 2-3 years from being a reliable consistent top 6 option

From what i have heard from SJ fans this is what they would do. Save money, fast track their own rebuild. Yes Marleu and Thorton are the guys that seem likely to be moved but they wont pull a Reinhart type return like Couture can.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Assuming Murray thinks Lehner could be our long term solution in the crease, I could be convinced to give up Grigorenko and a pick for him, but I'd really hate that pick to be our 21 or 31 this year. I would reserve those picks for moving up or for a big name, ROR-type of trade. I'd hate to lose that asset on a goalie.

Does anyone think Murray would really consider 21 + Grigo for Lehner? Not the end of the world, but it would make the draft much less exciting, for starters.

No. He's not moving 21 for a goalie. He could move 31 if he got another piece on top of lehner.

I think he uses 31 & 52 as goalie bait. My gut feeling is he goes for either him or Anderson. If he gets Anderson, then he likely drafts samsonov

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Why spend any assets?

Sign a FA, don't trade stuff for goalies.

What if the decent ones won't want to come to Buffalo? I'm just going by the rumors. I hope Murray doesn't spend too much either, but it's hard to ignore the rumors, especially since we know it's a guy Murray likes and has experience with. I seriously don't think Murray is going to go with Lindback or Neuvirth, and I don't think Niemi will come to Buffalo when he has other options.

Bps21*

I'll take whatever goalie will walk through the door and move on with my life. Price isn't playing Lundqvist right now. And Dubnyk didn't wake up one morning and triple his ability...he stopped playing behind a bad team and started playing behind one that had the puck all the time. I wish to give no assets to goaltending and instead all of them for what plays in front of them. Then one day a Crawford or Bishop type will benefit from it here.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
What if the decent ones won't want to come to Buffalo? I'm just going by the rumors. I hope Murray doesn't spend too much either, but it's hard to ignore the rumors, especially since we know it's a guy Murray likes and has experience with. I seriously don't think Murray is going to go with Lindback or Neuvirth, and I don't think Niemi will come to Buffalo when he has other options.

I think there's more decent ones than teams that need a starter

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'll take whatever goalie will walk through the door and move on with my life. Price isn't playing Lundqvist right now. And Dubnyk didn't wake up one morning and triple his ability...he stopped playing behind a bad team and started playing behind one that had the puck all the time. I wish to give no assets to goaltending and instead all of them for what plays in front of them. Then one day a Crawford or Bishop type will benefit from it here.

I agree in general but you're taking the "goalies don't matter" a bit too far. Moreover, I don't think TM agrees with you that he'll take "any goalie that walks through the door"...everything he's said to date goes against that.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
Yep. Try the UFA route on a goalie and see how our guys in the pipeline develop. I'm not worried about acquiring a really good goalie right now as the Sabres are far from contending. I'd rather focus on spending picks/prospects on skaters to try and add to the core. If none of the goalie prospects develop, then the Sabres can readdress the issue in a couple years when they are trying to make the playoffs consistently.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Free agents? Which ones?

Niemi, Neuvirth, Dubnyk, Ramo, McElhinney, Greiss.

And if we do have to trade for someone it's going to be a complete buyers market. There will be basically no competition bidding up the price but a solid 5 teams looking to move a goalie out driving down the price.

No reason to give up a serious asset at all.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
JVR is a possession-based forward if the line is designed to play that kind of style of game. When on Kadri's line, he was retrieving pucks and played more of a cycle game. On Kessel's line which was supposed to be a fast attacking line centred by a defensively-weak, playmaking #3C, JVR depends a lot more on speed.

Put him on a heavier line with Eichel and he'll thrive. It would actually make more sense to plug in Kane with Reinhart which would create two devastating top lines. I think that's what contenders require IMO.
IE "he's good enough to be carried by his linemates if those two are good at possession" because he's straight up never been a lightning rod for the Leafs having the puck, even relatively compared to the rest of one of the league's worst possession teams over the past three seasons.

He's done nothing to earn his asking price, aside from score goals in a role that requires much, much more.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Niemi, Neuvirth, Dubnyk, Ramo, McElhinney, Greiss.

And if we do have to trade for someone it's going to be a complete buyers market. There will be basically no competition bidding up the price but a solid 5 teams looking to move a goalie out driving down the price.

No reason to give up a serious asset at all.

I'd sign up for two years more of enrich too, unless Dallas resigned him and I missed it.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia

I think he would consider it, which makes me nervous because I don't think Lehner is worth either straight up.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL

Niemi's options are basically Buffalo or Edmonton, unless he wants to be a backup. I'd like to think we'd have pretty good odds.

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
Why not keep the younger player who will be in his prime when BUF contends?

Agree completely. Seems like much of the talk around here is focused on running up to the 8th seed next year, as opposed to building a contender in 2-3 years. It is too soon for many of these type deals being discussed here.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Agree...we don't need to make a trade like that for Staal right now....maybe when we are seriously ready to contend.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
IE "he's good enough to be carried by his linemates if those two are good at possession" because he's straight up never been a lightning rod for the Leafs having the puck, even relatively compared to the rest of one of the league's worst possession teams over the past three seasons.

He's done nothing to earn his asking price, aside from score goals in a role that requires much, much more.
He's a skilled forward first-most. Just because he has power forward attributes doesn't make him one. For that reason, he looks the best when playing with linemates who are involved in the play. Neither Bozak or Kessel are that kind of forward. Even as a one-timer solution, Bozak is usually pretty damn awful because he's weak when it comes to accessing the middle.

I could certainly seem him fit with Eichel, though. He'd essentially be a force multiplier producing +30 goals, and a package involving Grigorenko would do the job. Add that low first rounder and it even gets closer. The only roadblock are the Sabres who may be interested in trialing him for an additional season. After all, his upside is quite undeniable.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
He's a skilled forward first-most. Just because he has power forward attributes doesn't make him one. For that reason, he looks the best when playing with linemates who are involved in the play. Neither Bozak or Kessel are that kind of forward. Even as a one-timer solution, Bozak is usually pretty damn awful because he's weak when it comes to accessing the middle.

I could certainly seem him fit with Eichel, though. He'd essentially be a force multiplier producing +30 goals, and a package involving Grigorenko would do the job. Add that low first rounder and it even gets closer. The only roadblock are the Sabres who may be interested in trialing him for an additional season. After all, his upside is quite undeniable.

I just think that the timing is wrong. I doubt Murray sees JVR as a mentor type and no doubt about his numbers but, that's not a priority at this point. I think the team is looking for leadership and consistency for the kiddies to learn from. Giving up assets for empty numbers would be counterproductive.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I agree in general but you're taking the "goalies don't matter" a bit too far. Moreover, I don't think TM agrees with you that he'll take "any goalie that walks through the door"...everything he's said to date goes against that.

Everything he's done says otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad