Roster Speculation 2015-16 Pt. III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Obviously thats not even possible since we already have nine players who will be 25 years or older when the season starts (possibly ten if Kaleta re-signs). Four of whom are over 30.

Kane-Eichel-Ennis
Moulson-Girgensons-Reinhart
Foligno-Grigorenko-Gionta
Deslauriers-Larsson-Kaleta

Zadorov-Ristolainen
Gorges-Bogosian
McCabe-Pysyk

Not counting goaltenders, that's only 5 in the starting roster.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Kane-Eichel-Ennis
Moulson-Girgensons-Reinhart
Foligno-Grigorenko-Gionta
Deslauriers-Larsson-Kaleta

Zadorov-Ristolainen
Gorges-Bogosian
McCabe-Pysyk

Not counting goaltenders, that's only 5 in the starting roster.

That's not going to be the starting roster. And even if it was it's still not a U25 roster. Something you threw out there and is obviously not a possibility.

Btw the 25 and older to start the season group would include; Bogo, Hodgson, Ennis, Weber, McCormick, (Kaleta), Moulson, Gorges, Gionta and Chad Johnson.

Last edited:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Anybody know what Carolina wants to do with Cam Ward? Wouldn't mind taking on that 6.3M contract of his since he'll be a UFA after next year. Might bring down the cost of Skinner.

Why wouldn't Carolina want to keep Skinner? They need to put fans in seats.

Further, since it's just one year, why wouldn't / couldn't Carolina keep Ward at that salary, regardless of whether or not he's bundled with Skinner?

Skinner is not someone I'd want on BUF until they are a better puck possession and overall defensive team. Skinner helps with neither of those things, and BUF won't make deep playoff runs until they are capable of doing those same things.

Skinner, or players like him, are either finishing pieces once a playoff-capable Sabres roster is developed and proven, or pieces you re-build/build with if/when you have established NHL-caliber center depth who can help cover for him. Skinner's fragility aside, I'd rather have 80% of his production with 50% more defensive responsibility and awareness.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
That's not going to be the starting roster. And even if it was it's still not a U25 roster. Something you threw out there and is obviously not a possibility.

Btw the 25 and older to start the season group would include; Bogo, Hodgson, Ennis, Weber, McCormick, (Kaleta), Moulson, Gorges, Gionta and Chad Johnson.

When I say U25 I include 25 year olds (Bogo) like World Juniors are U20 and include 20 year olds.

And my opinion of the starting roster has just as much merit as yours so don't act like you are the supreme holder of Sabres knowledge.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Is JVR a possibility?

If so, I'm sure its going to take a boat load.
What would JVR actually bring to this team?

Consistent offense? Nope. Possession through skill (zone entries)? Nope. Possession through effort (forechecking)? Nope. Defense that abets somebody else's offense? Nope.

Dude sucks.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Article:

Hockey Writers: Who May Be Done With The Sabres?

Unassociated Observation:

I think the Sabres want a core of a certain age group near their best players, but don't know if they really want everyone to fit into that age group. They'd all be hitting their UFA years around the same time. Bad recipe.

A good mix of veterans getting pushed out and rookies pushing up is a way to have more sustainable success, currently exemplified by Chicago, Detroit, Tampa, Anaheim. Gives you more bites at the apple, even if you won't have that 1 or 2 year window of a monstrous cluster of talent just before that payday where the salary cap forces the team to shed some of the high-priced high-talent guys by necessity. It's a question of how best to get on that track.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
What would JVR actually bring to this team?

Consistent offense? Nope. Possession through skill (zone entries)? Nope. Possession through effort (forechecking)? Nope. Defense that abets somebody else's offense? Nope.

Dude sucks.

Definitely wouldn't consnider paying close to market value for him. We are fine at wing. I don't get people who think we need to make another Kane acquisition. For a team that's not expected to be a playoff team, Kane, Ennis, Moulson, one of Larsson/Reinhart/Grigorenko, Gionta, Foligno, Deslauriers, whoever I'm forgetting is not a bad group. The difference from last year that needed to be made at forward, above all, was getting an actual group of centers, which we'll have, though young (Girgensons, Eichel, Reinhart/Larsson/Grigorenko), especially after the Kane acquisition.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Splitting hairs here but I'd be surprised if Gorges starts the season going by past microfracture surgery recoveries. Similar predicament with McCormick and his bloodclot.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
Anybody know what Carolina wants to do with Cam Ward? Wouldn't mind taking on that 6.3M contract of his since he'll be a UFA after next year. Might bring down the cost of Skinner.

The only good reason to get Ward is if they're tanking again. He's been terrible for years.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Why wouldn't Carolina want to keep Skinner? They need to put fans in seats.

Further, since it's just one year, why wouldn't / couldn't Carolina keep Ward at that salary, regardless of whether or not he's bundled with Skinner?

Skinner is not someone I'd want on BUF until they are a better puck possession and overall defensive team. Skinner helps with neither of those things, and BUF won't make deep playoff runs until they are capable of doing those same things.

Skinner, or players like him, are either finishing pieces once a playoff-capable Sabres roster is developed and proven, or pieces you re-build/build with if/when you have established NHL-caliber center depth who can help cover for him. Skinner's fragility aside, I'd rather have 80% of his production with 50% more defensive responsibility and awareness.

Carolina is an interesting bird. Not good enough to contend, not bad enough fully rebuild. They'll almost always be a budget team while Karmanos owns them. Eric Staal is 31 and has 1 year left on his deal. If they trade him does Jordan want to GTFO? Who wants to pay Jordan Staal 6M per for the next 8 years?

What about Semin? Do you pay him another 21M to be on the bench the next 3 seasons?

What astounds me after the absolute trainwreck that Rutherford left in Carolina that he was handed the keys to the most talented roster in the Penguins.

Whats funny, to me at least, is their worst case scenario is Eric Staal having a career year. They make the playoffs as a 7/8 seed then Staal walks. It's kind of what I hope for, because, you know, **** the hurricanes.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
No interest in JVR.

How in the world would Ottawa do that???

I think it works as a basis for a trade. Add the 2nd we got for Stewart or a prospect like Malone. Or take another contract off their hands.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
A thought:

TO Buffalo: TB's 1st round pick, Vinny Lecavalier
To PHL: Cody Hodgson

Philly can then buyout Hodgson using the 26 and under clause.

Buffalo can use lecavalier to help Eichel deal with expectations of being a 18 year old NHL phenom and can center our 4th line and help the PP with his heavy shot.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
A thought:

Buffalo can use lecavalier to help Eichel deal with expectations of being a 18 year old NHL phenom and can center our 4th line and help the PP with his heavy shot.

Theres no way Philly is giving up a 1st just for us to take on Vinny and buy out another negative value contract.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
A thought:

We're going to pay a 4th liner 4.5 million for three seasons? I'm all aboard the "cap space doesn't matter this year" train, but I hope by the time 2018 roles around it does. :laugh:

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
A thought:

The Flyers would save like 250k on the cap and swap one bad contract for another with more term if they pulled the trigger on this trade. They're not giving up a first rounder to do that.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The Flyers would save like 250k on the cap and swap one bad contract for another with more term if they pulled the trigger on this trade. They're not giving up a first rounder to do that.

If the used the under 26 buyout on Hodgson, they'd save something like 3.7 M for the next 3 years.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
We're going to pay a 4th liner 4.5 million for three seasons? I'm all aboard the "cap space doesn't matter this year" train, but I hope by the time 2018 roles around it does. :laugh:

Cap space won't be a legitimate issue for a while given that Eichel and Reinhart's ELCs expire the same year Lecavalier's current deal expires.

If Buffalo could add a pick by taking on Vinny's contract, I'm all for it.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
If the used the under 26 buyout on Hodgson, they'd save something like 3.7 M for the next 3 years.

True. Hadn't thought of that. Still, I don't think they're going to give up a first round pick for a player and buy him out right away.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

He's making 6.5 M in salary this year (4.5 + 2M in signing bonus), 3.5 next year, and just 3 in 2017-18. He may simple retire after this year if he's not NHL caliber anymore

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I'd be OK with Hodgson for Lecavalier plus Rd1 29/30 if BUF can use the pick to move up earlier than #21. But I don't see Philly offering that, and I don't think BUF would inquire (unless they read these boards and get the idea).

AFAIK, there's no connection between Vinny and any Sabre player or coach / management.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Article:

Hockey Writers: Who May Be Done With The Sabres?

Unassociated Observation:

I think the Sabres want a core of a certain age group near their best players, but don't know if they really want everyone to fit into that age group. They'd all be hitting their UFA years around the same time. Bad recipe.

A good mix of veterans getting pushed out and rookies pushing up is a way to have more sustainable success, currently exemplified by Chicago, Detroit, Tampa, Anaheim. Gives you more bites at the apple, even if you won't have that 1 or 2 year window of a monstrous cluster of talent just before that payday where the salary cap forces the team to shed some of the high-priced high-talent guys by necessity. It's a question of how best to get on that track.

I disagree with Weber on the list. He has more value retained with BUF than in trade, and with the concern over Gorges returning, I don't see BUF having the luxury to move any LHD, regardless. In fact, I think they'll acquire 2 UFA in the offseason.

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008
When I say U25 I include 25 year olds (Bogo) like World Juniors are U20 and include 20 year olds.

And my opinion of the starting roster has just as much merit as yours so don't act like you are the supreme holder of Sabres knowledge.

There are no 20 year olds in the World Juniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad