Roster Speculation 2015-16 Pt. III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I am a proponent of the idea that Grigs has no spot in the top 9. But thinking that doesn't mean I think he needs to go. Needs to go to me means him staying causes a problem. Which I don't think is the case at all. At worst he could be cheap depth. At best, he surprises and becomes a contributor.

Sure.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

He's done IMO. Nice that he loves the Sabres and gives his all on every shift when he's healthy, but I've seen enough of him.

He's in negotiations for a new contract with the Sabres

This is the problem with drafting/signing local kids. Remember the ridiculous deliberation around Kennedy?

They cut him over peanuts. It hardly seems like him being local caused an issue in the team's deliberations.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
I am a proponent of the idea that Grigs has no spot in the top 9. But thinking that doesn't mean I think he needs to go. Needs to go to me means him staying causes a problem. Which I don't think is the case at all. At worst he could be cheap depth. At best, he surprises and becomes a contributor.

I agree 100%

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Darren Dreger was on Ottawa’s TSN 1200 on Monday afternoon.

On if he heard anything new on the Ottawa goaltending trade situation over the weekend:

“No, not really by way of update. I mean, we know that Robin Lehner is the carrot that’s being dangled and the Ottawa Senators believe that they’re going to get the most for him. That’s not being disrespectful of Craig Anderson. That’s just the reality of where Robin Lehner is at in his career.

“Is Buffalo interested? I believe Buffalo is interested. I know Edmonton is interested. And there’ll be a market. But Bryan Murray and the Ottawa Senators can’t make the same mistake here that they made with Ben Bishop when they traded him for a fourth round draft pick. They’ve got to realize an excellent level of return.

“Could it be a draft pick and a young forward who is destined to become a top-6 in the National Hockey League? Well, that sounds like what Ottawa is looking for, or a proven top-6 forward at this stage.

“So the asking price is high, from Bryan Murray’s perspective, but this time of year – certainly on the draft floor – there’s a looseness and an appetite from other teams to pay it if they have the need. And there are teams put there, as we know, that definitely need a goalie.â€

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/dreger-on-sabres-oilers-interest-in-lehner/

Don't have a lot of desire for Lehner. I certainly don't want him for anything more than a later 2nd.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Really have no interest in giving up assets for a goalie at this point. Especially if it's going to cost Bailey or Baptiste + a pick.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Really have no interest in giving up assets for a goalie at this point. Especially if it's going to cost Bailey or Baptiste + a pick.

I'd be pissed if we gave up one of them for a Goalie like Lehner.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
It was always going to cost more then that. Was just a matter of how much more

Why? There's not exactly a swarth of teams that will be bidding up the price?
TM: "I'll give you a late second for him."
BM: "No, we want #31."
TM: "Okay I'll just go sign someone else that's almost or possibly just as good."
BM: "Hey Edmonton, what will you give us for this great goalie we have?"
Edmonton: "How about our 3rd round pick?"
BM: "No, no, no, we need at least your second."
Edmonton: "No thanks, we'll trade our third to another team for their goalie."

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/dreger-on-sabres-oilers-interest-in-lehner/

“Is Buffalo interested? I believe Buffalo is interested. I know Edmonton is interested. And there’ll be a market. But Bryan Murray and the Ottawa Senators can’t make the same mistake here that they made with Ben Bishop when they traded him for a fourth round draft pick. They’ve got to realize an excellent level of return.

Could it be a draft pick and a young forward who is destined to become a top-6 in the National Hockey League? Well, that sounds like what Ottawa is looking for, or a proven top-6 forward at this stage

Like it or not, there's too much common sense for Tim not to have Lehner as his 1st choice - he fits all the criteria including needing a change of scenery without the pressure of losing his job to an established vet if he doesn't win consistently.

Maybe it's Grigorenko and # 51 for Lehner....or maybe it morphs into a bigger package that might include Weircioch (which should make all those clamoring for a LHD happy). I just think the odds are better than not of Murray wanting Lehner.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Maybe Cody Hodgson is a proven top 6 forward. :laugh:

Too bad Ottawa needs to shed salary, not add it.

Dreger indicates that the Sens could be looking for either a current top 6 forward (which Hodgson and Grigorenko are not) or one that could turn into a top 6 forward (which Grigorenko very well could be on another team).

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Don't want Lehner at all returning from concussion (see Lieuwen, Darcy). Use the 2nd on a better goalie prospect, and keep the top-6 forward prospect.

Just because Bryan got boned on Bishop doesn't make it Tim's responsibility to make him whole by overpaying for Lehner. I'd be furious.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Don't want Lehner at all returning from concussion (see Lieuwen, Darcy). Use the 2nd on a better goalie prospect, and keep the top-6 forward prospect.

Just because Bryan got boned on Bishop doesn't make it Tim's responsibility to make him whole by overpaying for Lehner. I'd be furious.

Yep. Top 6 forward or a legit top 6 talent prospect is an automatic no from me. NYI 2nd and an OK prospect? Sure, but I wouldn't go much beyond that. Lehner's got some good tools, he's shown well at the NHL level before, and he's young, but the concussion is a pretty big concern, and even without that he wouldn't be a sure bet to become an above average starter.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Ben Bishop and Cory Crawford are the two starting goalies in the SCF. While they're both good, fine, adequate, hell even above average, neither of them would ever be confused with "elite" or anything like that. Given up serious assets for a goalie is just a complete non starter in my book until goalie is actually an impediment for us (which it hasn't been since... forever?).

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Yep. Top 6 forward or a legit top 6 talent prospect is an automatic no from me. NYI 2nd and an OK prospect? Sure, but I wouldn't go much beyond that. Lehner's got some good tools, he's shown well at the NHL level before, and he's young, but the concussion is a pretty big concern, and even without that he wouldn't be a sure bet to become an above average starter.

Well said :clap:

In the end ..... Pass

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Dreger indicates that the Sens could be looking for either a current top 6 forward (which Hodgson and Grigorenko are not) or one that could turn into a top 6 forward (which Grigorenko very well could be on another team).

Grigorenko could be that on the Sabres. Hogson was not top 6 last season but that was an exception to his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad