Value of: Marner's Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Maybe Marner turns out like Kessel.

Kessel was plagued with attitude and work-ethics problems for years. Mocked for hot dogs, lack-luster performances, considered a "Kesselitis" infecting the Leafs as a whole.

He moves on and lands on a contender where his complementary talents mesh well with the superior players like Crosby, Malkin and others...and he thrives for years as an underling...winning 3 Stanley Cups in the last years of his career.

This is being unnecessarily disrespectful to Kessel.

During the 2016 cup run, Kessel led the team in playoff scoring, averaged more icetime than Malkin and would lose the Conn Smythe by a hair to the best hockey player in the world at the time.

That's not the work of an underling.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
marner had too much pride to accept that AAV, he will want more money

Well if it's true, he should put his pride into playing his best hockey when it matters most instead of his $$ numbers...

Maybe, I say maybe, if it's true, we got a clue why this team is chocking in the playoffs.

A bunch of superstars who care more about themselves than collective successes..

Reactions: Sundinisagod

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
It will be interesting to see what happens. Is Shanahan allowed to make this deal or is his role too tenuous?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2003
KW
Marner’s ego won’t accept anything below the nylander contract. Ego is a hell of a drug
Yes and not in dollars he'll use Nylander's cap percentage as his floor. Nylander used Marner's rfa deal as his floor. Other teams don't have such floors in place, i dont see him getting better offers than his current deal elsewhere, perhaps only from a total non playoff team...which is probably the best fit for him.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Yes and not in dollars he'll use Nylander's cap percentage as his floor. Nylander used Marner's rfa deal as his floor. Other teams don't have such floors in place, i dont see him getting better offers than his current deal elsewhere, perhaps only from a total non playoff team...which is probably the best fit for him.
This is how I see playing out. Shanahan is in his last year. He’s already replaced the GM, the coach, signed and gave matthews the C, resigned nylander, that leaves marner as the only one left to blame if things go sideways again. Shanny already hinted at marner’s underwelming playoffs this past end of year presser. Marner will not be resigned during the year and if or when things do end badly, marner will walk to ufa and sign to the highest bidder which will be Columbus or Chicago.

There are just some nhlers destined not to win a cup, marner will be one of them

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Leafs biggest mistake was not making a big move sooner.*

They have a new coach right? That’s a big move, but I don’t understand why it took several years, and waited until AFTER extensions/NMC kicked in minimizing their flexibility

Why did they keep Keefe so long? Maybe recognized it was a player issue? So why not move the player? They have had an over abundance of skill scoring (not even “skill scoring forwards”. Skill scoring, condensed into a few players at the top of the roster for years.)

Marners current contract could fit a really really good defenseman and at least one depth scoring forward to mitigate some of the lost offense (as would the right defenseman). Probably could get a draft pick too since scoring forwards are infinitely more valued than solid defenseman, maybe flip some more pieces in the deal to make another trade for another depth forward or fine dman.

Or just Nylander pre-extension. There are really good defensemen still signing for less than 7 mil.

Looking at some of the other trades teams have made over the last several years, I just don’t believe that’s impossible from a creative GM.

You want to have faith in your players? Okay, fire the coach BEFORE you have no say in where your players go anymore.

They’d better hope Berube squeezes a solid ECF or Final performance this year or the noise should be fun.

*they did make a big move though. It’s not outside the realm of possibility they look way better in the playoffs this year, and so none of this will matter anymore. Though it wouldn’t erase the fact that they could have made such a move way sooner and presumably got more from the core

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Leafs biggest mistake was not making a big move sooner.*

They have a new coach right? That’s a big move, but I don’t understand why it took several years, and waited until AFTER extensions/NMC kicked in minimizing their flexibility

Why did they keep Keefe so long? Maybe recognized it was a player issue? So why not move the player? They have had an over abundance of skill scoring (not even “skill scoring forwards”. Skill scoring, condensed into a few players at the top of the roster for years.)

Marners current contract could fit a really really good defenseman and at least one depth scoring forward to mitigate some of the lost offense (as would the right defenseman). Probably could get a draft pick too since scoring forwards are infinitely more valued than solid defenseman, maybe flip some more pieces in the deal to make another trade for another depth forward or fine dman.

Or just Nylander pre-extension. There are really good defensemen still signing for less than 7 mil.

Looking at some of the other trades teams have made over the last several years, I just don’t believe that’s impossible from a creative GM.

You want to have faith in your players? Okay, fire the coach BEFORE you have no say in where your players go anymore.

They’d better hope Berube squeezes a solid ECF or Final performance this year or the noise should be fun.

*they did make a big move though. It’s not outside the realm of possibility they look way better in the playoffs this year, and so none of this will matter anymore. Though it wouldn’t erase the fact that they could have made such a move way sooner and presumably got more from the core
If there is one thing the leafs are great at, is extremely poor hiring of management and the timing that follows. They kept keefe because dubas was never firing him. Then when dubas left, treliving wanted to see atleast a year, but on top gave him a 2 yr extension only to fire him a few months later. This is all on Shanahan’s watch, and he is a moron of epic proportions. Shanahan will throw marner under the bus so fast at next years end of year presser if things go south again. Whether that saves his job is up to petty. I used to like the leafs, pat Quinn, Wendell clark, Doug gilmour, mats sundin, McCabe, kaberle, likeable people and players. Now we just have incompetence and selfish players with big egos and maturity of a 3 yr old. As gifted as matthews is, he is unlikable, plays every meaningless game to get to 70 goals instead of resting and then doesn’t get 70 and misses the first round because of illness. You just can’t make this stuff up. F*ck the leafs, I hope they miss the playoffs and MLSE cleans house and actually makes a good hire in their life.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
10m x6 i dont care how well he does in regular season hes proved he sucksi n playoffs for years now to small and no heart no fight when it matters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad