Roster Speculation 2015-16 Pt. III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
he's young, but the concussion is a pretty big concern, and even without that he wouldn't be a sure bet to become an above average starter.

Or a starter at all. This is his 6th year as a pro and he's not been able to take the job from 3 different guys now - Anderson, Bishop and Hammond. And now you factor in the injury. I wouldn't even give 51. You should be able to get 1 of the top tier/tier-and-a-half of guys around there or lower (Samsonov, Blackwood, Booth, Vladar, Montembeault).

Sure Lehner's a Murray guy with Murray connections and yada yada but as Revelate said up there: what has he ever shown that warrants that kind of ask?

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Ben Bishop and Cory Crawford are the two starting goalies in the SCF. While they're both good, fine, adequate, hell even above average, neither of them would ever be confused with "elite" or anything like that. Given up serious assets for a goalie is just a complete non starter in my book until goalie is actually an impediment for us (which it hasn't been since... forever?).

There are, of course exceptions...Gibson, Jones, Vasilevsky, Mrazek would be guys I WOULD DEFINITELY give up pretty serious assets for.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
There are, of course exceptions...Gibson, Jones, Vasilevsky, Mrazek would be guys I WOULD DEFINITELY give up pretty serious assets for.

I would even cut that list to Vas and Gibson. Bishop wouldn't be terrible if we got him a new catching glove without the big hole in it.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
There arein this , of course exceptions...Gibson, Jones, Vasilevsky, Mrazek would be guys I WOULD DEFINITELY give up pretty serious assets for.

Doesn't seem like Jones belongs in this group.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Just a FYI Oshei is 28. Not really in the age wheelhouse Murray is looking for like ROR is at 24.

Exactly - which is why I don't see Oshie even being on Buffalo's radar, just like a 33-year old Sharp won't be. Bylsma even added reinforcement to the plan when he said he and Murray wouldn't look for quick-fix acquisitions just to win a few extra games.

O'Reilly, Toffoli, Saad, Silfverberg, Stone, van Riemsdyk, maybe Skinner....those seem to fit Murray's M.O.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Exactly - which is why I don't see Oshie even being on Buffalo's radar, just like a 33-year old Sharp won't be. Bylsma even added reinforcement to the plan when he said he and Murray wouldn't look for quick-fix acquisitions just to win a few extra games.

O'Reilly, Toffoli, Saad, Silfverberg, Stone, van Riemsdyk, maybe Skinner....those seem to fit Murray's M.O.

in the same breath you could argue that only ROR and maybe Silf(whos really riding a hot post-season lets be honest) fit that hard to play against big two-way mold...so if we are reading between the lines of interviews that eliminates some of those you listed.

On a side note I'd be pissed if we expended assets to acquire a guy like Skinner who is one hit away from scrambled eggs and wouldn't know two-way if his girlfriend went Katy Perry on us and kissed a girl.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia

Leafs fan here.

What would be the asking price for JVR? Personally, I would love to acquire Grigorenko.

Bps21*

I feel like we don't make good JVR trade partners. Our first first is immovable and our second isn't high enough. He'll return a high first as part of any package.

Castrophy

Feb 26, 2015
Oswego, NY
I don't necessarily agree with trading big assets for a goalie either but I think Vasilevskiy is someone worth going after. Even then I don't know how much higher then Grigorenko and NYI 2nd. I'm not sure if that gets the job done from Tampa's perspective.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I don't necessarily agree with trading big assets for a goalie either but I think Vasilevskiy is someone worth going after. Even then I don't know how much higher then Grigorenko and NYI 2nd.

The most I would do is like a 21st pick and a 42nd pick.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

When Murray said he would look to add a guy that is young, fast, and plays heavy, and I immediately thought of Saad.

I can't see him prying Saad out of Chicago, but one can hope...

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Just a FYI Oshei is 28. Not really in the age wheelhouse Murray is looking for like ROR is at 24.

I know it goes against what he's said in the media, but I don't think Murray's going to limit his pool of targets to players of a specific age so long as he feels the "older" (i.e. Oshie) players have several productive seasons ahead of them. He's a player that could slide into this rebuild and be a contributor for four or five seasons.

I agree that the Sharp-aged players shouldn't be targets at all, but I don't think Murray will totally close the door on players older than 24/25.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL

But we can't field an entire team of U25 players. Oshie is still young enough to have at least 3-4 more 50+ point seasons, and old enough to bring a veteran presence to our top-6 we lack (Moulson isn't going to be the top-6 guy that he once was after this season).

That said, I'd also prefer a younger guy. Just saying don't rule it out.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
From a salary point of view I wouldn't be surprised if we went after Chicagos players. They only have like 5-6 million left to spend for next year, not counting RFAs and UFAs.

I think they match almost any offer sheet on Saad unless they get to a point where they just can't. That would either leave a potential offer sheet for Kruger or I could see Chicago trading Shaw if they absolutely need the cap relief.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006

Anybody know what Carolina wants to do with Cam Ward? Wouldn't mind taking on that 6.3M contract of his since he'll be a UFA after next year. Might bring down the cost of Skinner.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I know it goes against what he's said in the media, but I don't think Murray's going to limit his pool of targets to players of a specific age so long as he feels the "older" (i.e. Oshie) players have several productive seasons ahead of them. He's a player that could slide into this rebuild and be a contributor for four or five seasons.

I agree that the Sharp-aged players shouldn't be targets at all, but I don't think Murray will totally close the door on players older than 24/25.

Its not that he is closing the door on acquiring players over 24. Its that he isn't planning on making a big aggresive trade using any combo of young roster players, prospects and picks to acquire one. Like he did when acquiring Kane/Bogo. In fact he has referenced this trade as an example of what he'd like to do.

He may acquire older players in free agency or in a lesser trade. An example of a lesser trade being Gorges for a 2nd. But he isn't looking to go big to acquire one. So unless you think Oshie can be acquired with a pick like Gorges was. I don't see him being a target. Its not really about whether or not Oshei has 4 or 5 good years left. Its about whether he fits with what Murray is looking to do.

But we can't field an entire team of U25 players. Oshie is still young enough to have at least 3-4 more 50+ point seasons, and old enough to bring a veteran presence to our top-6 we lack (Moulson isn't going to be the top-6 guy that he once was after this season).

That said, I'd also prefer a younger guy. Just saying don't rule it out.

Obviously thats not even possible since we already have nine players who will be 25 years or older when the season starts (possibly ten if Kaleta re-signs). Four of whom are over 30.

Last edited:

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Trades:

BUF:
Gormley
ARI:
Grigorenko

BUF:
Gelinas
NJD:
Hodgson (33% retained)
Cornel

BUF:
2015 OTT 1st (18 OA)
Legwand
Prince
OTT:
2015 NYI 1st (21 OA)
Karabacek
small + (if necessary)

BUF:
Läck
VAN:
2nd rounder (51 OA)

BUF:
a little something
WHOEVER:
C.Johnson

Lines:

Ennis Larsson Moulson
Kane Reinhart Girgensons
Foligno Eichel Gionta
Deslauriers Legwand Prince
Schaller

Larsson, Girgensons, Eichel could change places as the season unfolds.

Gorges Ristolainen
Gormley Bogosian
Gelinas Pysyk
Weber

Gelinas could be that PPQB and should form a decent 3rd pairing with Pysyk

Läck
Lindback

Two big swedes who have shown the ability to be starters at some point and are about to enter their prime

Thoughts?

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Or a starter at all. This is his 6th year as a pro and he's not been able to take the job from 3 different guys now - Anderson, Bishop and Hammond. And now you factor in the injury. I wouldn't even give 51. You should be able to get 1 of the top tier/tier-and-a-half of guys around there or lower (Samsonov, Blackwood, Booth, Vladar, Montembeault).

Sure Lehner's a Murray guy with Murray connections and yada yada but as Revelate said up there: what has he ever shown that warrants that kind of ask?

Lehner still falls into the gray area of players of his age, who have some NHL experience but not enough to rule out untapped potential. Murray drafted him and has presumably a lot of intel about the player in doing so - and, as he said when describing his preferred targets, he's looking at players who may be ready to take the next step with increased responsibility in a more prominent role with a change of scenery. Admittedly, Lehner has had ups-and-downs but he's always had the pressure of unseating a proven, established starter like Anderson who all of the Ottawa coaches were ready to switch to (when Anderson was healthy) as soon as the other goalies stumble. I can see Murray thinking that, with the unqualified opportunity to be the # 1 on a young team with similar aged-core, Lehner might be able to fulfill his potential.

in the same breath you could argue that only ROR and maybe Silf(whos really riding a hot post-season lets be honest) fit that hard to play against big two-way mold...so if we are reading between the lines of interviews that eliminates some of those you listed.

Valid point.

What would be the asking price for JVR? Personally, I would love to acquire Grigorenko.

If all it took was Grigorenko, I'd love the deal too - but I see the Leafs wanting a huge haul for JVR, such as.....

I feel like we don't make good JVR trade partners. Our first first is immovable and our second isn't high enough. He'll return a high first as part of any package.

No doubt a 1st rounder would have to go back along with 1-2 top prospects. JVR's size and age are in the prime range every team craves.

Maybe so - but I'd place odds on Murray pushing for players in his top 6 to be younger, who the team can build around and let grow with Eichel and Reinhart. If he adds a late 20's guy - or even a 30+ player - it seems more likely to be for a role or depth player in the bottom 6 IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad