Roster Speculation 2015-16 Pt. III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmack224

Aug 18, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Bogo and Risto will play on opposite pairs...

Im not afraid of 30 year old defensemen who will improve our team tremendously over the next 3-4 years.

Yeah but trading 4 first round picks for one?

I like Edler a lot but that seems like an overpayment

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Remind me what Murray's quote was on trading Tyler Myers....

“I’ve never made a call to another team on Tyler Myersâ€

“I have not tried to trade this guy.â€

“Some teams have asked about availability,†he said. “I’ve plainly said, ‘I’m not trying to trade the guy, if you want to knock my socks off with an offer I’ll listen,’ but it would have to be a major, major trade for me to move this guy.

“I’m not pusuing that.â€

:sarcasm:

tmack224

Aug 18, 2009
Buffalo, NY
What cap strapped team has a 24-28 year old that we can pry away for

Grigorenko, Zadorov, 21st, and 31st?

I was thinking along the lines of Lucic

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

No. He's gonna command a hefty raise at the end of the year.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY

As Travis Yost said "Some stupid team is going to want Milan Lucic on their team". That package is ridiculous for him.

BakedBuffalo

**** run 4 Chychrun
Oct 29, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Getting OEL would be ****ing amazing. That package is not too much to give up at all imo. The 2016 1st is the only part that I'd be a little on the fence about. I like Zadorov, but OEL can take his place, and he's already a top flight, elite defensemen in the league. The 2016 1st gives me pause just because of the new ridiculous lottery, and if we're picking top 3, that could be a significant loss. I know, OEL is the type of player you hope to get with a pick like that, but it would still sting.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
At this point, I'm not entirely sure if I want to make the trade for OEL yet. I think I'd rather revisit this at the TDL when we may be for comfortable giving up the 2016 1st pick. You may also get time pumping up the value of some of the assets you be willing to give up, and I'm sure it would help to know where those assets are, and where the 2016 1st round may be from Arizona's perspective.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Its very interesting to see how many fans don't include Grigorenko in their mock lineups for next season. Do most of you feel a trade will happen?

Some feel strongly about trading him and consistently create hypotheticals based on that assumption. Some feel that he will be a very valuable piece moving forward or that timing is terrible. Just depends on who you ask but both sides seem strongly opinionated.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Some feel strongly about trading him and consistently create hypotheticals based on that assumption. Some feel that he will be a very valuable piece moving forward or that timing is terrible. Just depends on who you ask but both sides seem strongly opinionated.

Ya its quite interesting to me to read that some fans are definitely FOR Grigorenko and some fans are definitely AGAINST Grigorenko. Its funny because it almost feels as though he is starting to improve and get better at the pro level, but unfortunately he has to play in the NHL next year. IMO one more season in the AHL would be perfect for his development, but unfortunately due to waiver reasons, he will be in NHL.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Ya its quite interesting to me to read that some fans are definitely FOR Grigorenko and some fans are definitely AGAINST Grigorenko. Its funny because it almost feels as though he is starting to improve and get better at the pro level, but unfortunately he has to play in the NHL next year. IMO one more season in the AHL would be perfect for his development, but unfortunately due to waiver reasons, he will be in NHL.

I think that's one thing we could all agree on. Personally, I think the timing is wrong and one full season in the NHL could make the situation more clear. He's improved his all around game and nobody really doubts his vision, release and skill. I see the other side, I just don't necessarily agree. We've pretty much beaten the cheap out of that horse so nobody really bothers to argue hypocritical lineups to that point. It's a wait and see situation for us now.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I think that's one thing we could all agree on. Personally, I think the timing is wrong and one full season in the NHL could make the situation more clear. He's improved his all around game and nobody really doubts his vision, release and skill. I see the other side, I just don't necessarily agree. We've pretty much beaten the cheap out of that horse so nobody really bothers to argue hypocritical lineups to that point. It's a wait and see situation for us now.

its crazy he just turned 21. It feels like people have been talking about his situation for many years.

It's funny though because if he would have been brought along slowly and properly and played full seasons in junior still as an 18 year old and again as a 19 year old and lit up junior hockey with 100 point seasons and then just finished his rookie season last year in the AHL with his 36 points in 43 games, he would be considered one of the top prospects in all of hockey and the hype with him would be insane. But the fact he was bounced all over the map when he was 18, 19 and 20 and was bad in his NHL games, many fans are considering him a bust. The skill is obviously there and I am really hoping it shows next year at the NHL level

7 11 14

Jan 18, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Murray not opposed to pissing off other GMs with offer sheets. Tarasenko, Toffoli, Saad, Stepan...let's see what happens!

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Name one top 10 player at his position that was in a situation like the Coyotes? How many bottom feeding rebuilding teams have top 10 players in their prime? It's a silly standard to base anything on.

Some would argue Vanek and/or Pominville were top 10 wingers when they were traded... or at least close. Pominville finished 9th in scoring among wingers the year before he was traded - with term left.

I don't see PHX moving OEL now. Sure could he be acquired at some price..yes. But I'd rather wait before trying yo bid on him.

I'd rather wait because buffalo's players values will only go up. Thus they won't have to trade 5 things for him as some proposals have said.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
yeah i'm still in the wait and see right now. I liked what i saw from him in his recent callups (away from the puck especially)...but...if there is a log jam and TM wants to flip players...instead of him being involved in a multipiece swap for that ROR type...what if he's a 'prospect' flip for a LD?

lookin at Philly...lots of projections that Provorov would be their guy at 7, yet another LD to go with Ghost, Sanheim, Morin & Haag there.

would Haag be expendable then? would a Grigo/Haag swap work for both clubs? both have put in some development time, both are arguably questionable to hit their ceilings. Philly could probably use another lotto ball in their F ranks

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Only toffoli could actually happen. anything else is a major pipe dream

No chance. I think LA would match anything--anything--that Toffoli signed as an RFA. I think Saad would be more likely, but we're talking about the difference between about a 2% chance and a 0.00001% chance.

Considering I don't think Murray puts his 2016 1st on the table through an offer sheet, I don't think there are many players who are worth a 2nd whose team wouldn't match. Maybe someone like Eric Gelinas, where an old school guy like Lou Lams wouldn't match on principle, but I don't see too many players who we could get for a 2nd or a 3rd.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Under no circumstances am I moving the 2016 1st be it a trade or an offer sheet.Even in a deal for a Tarasenko or OEL caliber player.

Not only is the draft in Buffalo but there are prospects available who have ceilings as high or even higher then whoever we acquire.And even if we do acquire another 1st it would almost assuredly be a later one and not worth moving ours when the draft is in our building.But the most important reason is the most obvious....we just had back to back last place finishes and picked 2nd overall twice in a row.Even with a top 3 lottery in place we could very well pick 4th or higher if the season doesn't go our way.We cannot take the chance of moving our 2016 1st and have it ending up to be Auston Matthews.Thats a Tyler Seguin Toronto situation waiting to happen.You don't think Leaf Fans are still visibly sick knowing that instead of Kessel they could have Seguin and Hamilton?Hell,I think Hamilton alone is worth more then Kessel let alone Seguin who is already a proven ppg franchise player at the ripe age of 23.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
The general concept of signing someone to an offer sheet in hopes of acquiring a young, proven NHLer in exchange for draft picks that may or may not develop into varying levels of NHL players is great. However in reality we are going to have a number of RFAs over the next few years and if one or two of them delay signing an extension then we may regret opening Pandora's Box by offer-sheeting someone this off-season.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Murray not opposed to pissing off other GMs with offer sheets. Tarasenko, Toffoli, Saad, Stepan...let's see what happens!

People seem to overlook Silfverberg, a player Tim Murray drafted in Ottawa and who has shown with his playoff surge that he has the two-way, "heavy" game Murray likes. His size, age and skill should make him just as appealing as those other options listed.

Just imagine the irony if:

- Tim Murray signs one of Bob Murray's players (Silfverberg) to an offer sheet
- Tim Murray trades for one of Bryan Murray's players (Lehner)
- Tim Murray hires Terry Murray to coach Rochester or sees him get hired as one of Bylsma's assistants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad