Roster Speculation 2015-16 Pt. III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The line-up next year fits pieces a lot better if we can shed Hodgson. I'd rather use a slot trying to keep Grigorenko than use a slot trying to keep Hodgson.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
And then what? Pay him a terrible contract for a few more years? His cheap buyout window will be closed and they'll get stuck.

I can't wait until he's bought out so that we can stop trying to force Cody Hodgson into the future plans. There's more defense of him from one poster than Hodgson has mustered against the opposition in his entire career.

Well, he'd only have 3 years left at that point. I'd be willing to bet at least one if not two of those three years Arizona won't be a cap team. They could always flip him to another rebuilding team with a year or two left on his contract. Or hell, he could always return to 20 goal form for them and play out the contract until becoming a UFA deadline trade chip.

If the Sabres want to move on from Hodgson they will find a suitor, even if for just a 7th round pick (I think we'd get a 4th). Someone will take the reclamation project. And I trust TMGM not to be asinine enough to take on a million dollar dead cap hit for the next bazillion seasons.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The line-up next year fits pieces a lot better if we can shed Hodgson. I'd rather use a slot trying to keep Grigorenko than use a slot trying to keep Hodgson.

100% agreed.

Someone will take a flier on CoHo for a mid round pick or some other poor contract.

Just not Mike Smith though.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Why are they mutually exclusive? Why can't they compete for a roster spot?

I don't give one damn about Cody Hodgson, and if Murray wants to flip him for a 7th because he wants to move on and is afraid of his contract, fine by me. But I don't see any reason to trade him because we don't have enough roster spots to go around.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Are there any really, really, really terribad contracts out there with only a year left?
not really too many, wouldnt even call some of these terribad

Soupy-$7.2m
Cam Ward $6.2m
Quincey & W. Mitchell $4.25m
PAP $4m
Liles $3.875m
and so on

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
Please, enough of the Des&Hodgson guck. Nolan tried it when he first came on as coach, and again pushed it for long stretches this year. It doesn't work. There is ZERO good that comes of a line with this wing pair.

And that's not a knock on Des for what he brings - it's just an acknowledgement that what Des and Hodgson bring do not make for a useful chemical mix. So, if you're not going to put Hodgson back into center (the only spot he's actually demonstrated capacity to produce at the top 6 over multiple seasons) then at least put him into a wing pair with a guy who actually has some offensive ability.

Otherwise, press box him from the onset to the season and be done with it. There's just no point in continuing to put any player into a position he cannot succeed - and then complaining about the fact he doesn't magically succeed.

Personally though, if Hodgson is even a Sabre come September, I'd plug him into the top 6 by definition. He's as wasted in the bottom 6 as a guy like Moulson (who has never shown a defensively sound bone in his own body). So, plug him into a role where he's proven capable and let him either make a case to keep the spot or build his trade value.

Playing Hodgson as a 4th line grinder with Des isn't going to do the Sabres any good whatsoever.

Umm, did you read the entire post, or just come swooping in to defend Hodgson when you got to the bolded?

Ultimately, what the other top 9 forwards bring in that lineup is a lot more than what Hodgson would bring in those roles. They are better skaters and more complete players than Hodgson, end of story. Im not gifting Hodgson a top 9 spot on the roster and weakening my lineup because Hodgson "doesnt belong on the 4th line".

I acknowledged that something has to be done about Hodgson. Its not an absolutely necessary move (as under certain circumstances I believe he can rebound), but its the one move I want Murray to make.

I also specifically stated that if Reinhart is NHL ready, I'd put Grigo on a line with Hodgson and Des and they would be my heavy ozone matchup line. Larsson and Reinhart would do the heavy defensive lifting if thats the case. Im not looking for that line to grind it out against tougher matchups and play defense. Im looking for them to catch favorable matchups in the ozone to create offense.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Re: Hodgson....

I think he's done with this team. I'd be surprised if he's on the roster come next season.

Based on what we've seen, Hodgson doesn't seem to have a role / slot ~3 years out when BUF should be ready for deep playoff runs, let alone this coming season.

Murray's tried to fish with Hodgson. Let's see when he cuts bait.

The longer Murray holds, the less chance (IMO) another team will take Hodgson as a reclamation.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
Based on what we've seen, Hodgson doesn't seem to have a role / slot ~3 years out when BUF should be ready for deep playoff runs, let alone this coming season.

Murray's tried to fish with Hodgson. Let's see when he cuts bait.

The longer Murray holds, the less chance (IMO) another team will take Hodgson as a reclamation.

I agree. Based on the 2013-14 season, I'd say he still has some value. But last season and his contract weigh heavily on him. Maybe he's worth a 4th. As far as teams looking to acquire him? Atizona needs help in its top six. And maybe he helps them get to the cap floor.
Maybe NJD are interested. Maybe TML.

But if I was a team looking to get him on the cheap, I'd just wait til buffalo buys him out and try to sign him rather than give up assets.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Murray seemed to hint that he himself felt part of Hodgson's struggles last season were Ted Nolan. I imagine if he can find a team to take Hodgson he would but also wouldn't lose sleep if Hodgson plays another year here. You don't just fall off a cliff like that if you're healthy so I think it's fair to say he will have some rebound in his game. Hodgson is a passenger player and those types of players on historically bad teams with a coach who doesn't like him generally don't do well. That and he didn't show up to about 70 of the games last season. Hodgson is definitely a player who needs to be pampered and have his hand stacked for him and if we can somehow do that and get rid of him next season I will be happy.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
Murray seemed to hint that he himself felt part of Hodgson's struggles last season were Ted Nolan.

Sure, and that makes sense if Murray is trying to pump his trade value.

I imagine if he can find a team to take Hodgson he would but also wouldn't lose sleep if Hodgson plays another year here. You don't just fall off a cliff like that if you're healthy so I think it's fair to say he will have some rebound in his game.

Right, and this is why I'm holding out hope that he might still be traded for a low pick.

Hodgson is a passenger player and those types of players on historically bad teams with a coach who doesn't like him generally don't do well. That and he didn't show up to about 70 of the games last season. Hodgson is definitely a player who needs to be pampered and have his hand stacked for him and if we can somehow do that and get rid of him next season I will be happy.

Agree about the passenger player bit. I really do expect a buyout this summer. But maybe I'll be surprised idk. We'll find out pretty soon though.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Cam Ward only has one year at $6.2M left. The canes are trying to get out of the contract, Buffalo has cap space and may need a goalie for stopgap next season. Do you think TM inquires what he can get from Carolina for taking Ward's contract?

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Cam Ward only has one year at $6.2M left. The canes are trying to get out of the contract, Buffalo has cap space and may need a goalie for stopgap next season. Do you think TM inquires what he can get from Carolina for taking Ward's contract?

Unless he's coming in a big deal that also brings us #5 overall, I'm not really interested. Carolina doesn't have anything enticing beyond that pick.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Unless he's coming in a big deal that also brings us #5 overall, I'm not really interested. Carolina doesn't have anything enticing beyond that pick.

Even bringing up 5th overall in this convo is kind of ridiculous. Cam Ward only has one season on his contract. It's not like moving a Clarkson or Mike Richards deal.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Even bringing up 5th overall in this convo is kind of ridiculous. Cam Ward only has one season on his contract. It's not like moving a Clarkson or Mike Richards deal.

I agree, I wasn't saying it because I think it's likely to happen. I'm just laying my interest level in Ward out there...which is extremely minimal.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I suppose the dispute lies in your premise. It's possible that Murray does not view Neuvirth as equal to some of the guys who may be available via trade. In fact, it sounds like he had no intention whatsoever of making any attempt at re-signing Neuvy based on his comments post-Neuvirth trade with the Isles. I think Neuvirth could be a low-end starter in this league, but given his relative lack of upside and his injury history, I'd look elsewhere.

If the prices are too high on trade candidates, I'd prefer Niemi on a three-year deal. At least you know he'll be more available than Neuvirth.

Are you assuming my premise is that Neuvy is equal to Lack or that nhl caliber goalies who have not shown to be super elite carry about the same value? Because I have no idea what Murray thinks of Neuvy in particular, though his season with the Sabres looked pretty respectable to me, however I think in less we are talking about one of maybe 5 goalies in the league I see almost no point in trading assets for a goalie you could get in fa. Whether its Neuvy, Enroth, Niemi or Lindback, it will be much more important to spend big dollars and picks on the skaters in front of the goalie than the keeper. The position is flooded with talent, huge pads and smart defenses.

The top 5 guys, lets call them Lundquist, Price, Rinne, Rask and Quick(when he's on his game) are difference makers. 6-40 ehh, not a huge separation in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad