Roster Speculation 2015-16 Pt. III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
There are also potential restricted free agents to re-sign, most notably Jakob Silfverberg. Silfverberg, 24, emerged as an important second-line winger and had 18 points in 16 postseason games while playing on a one-year, $850,500 contract.

Asked if Silfverberg could be the target of an offer sheet from another team, Murray said, “That’s a scare. Somebody could try that. So we’ll try to get ahead of that curveball.â€

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/beleskey-664091-ducks-going.html

No one knows if Tim Murray will use the offer sheet option but if he does, I have to think that Toffoli and Silfverberg are at the top of his list of targets. Odds are that LA and Anaheim will lock them up before July 1st but if they don't, look out. :naughty:

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/beleskey-664091-ducks-going.html

No one knows if Tim Murray will use the offer sheet option but if he does, I have to think that Toffoli and Silfverberg are at the top of his list of targets. Odds are that LA and Anaheim will lock them up before July 1st but if they don't, look out. :naughty:

Im guessing these 2 would be in the 3.6-5.4 range meaning we would have to give up a first and a third. I couldn't care less about any pick out of the first round, but if we fall flat next year, losing that 1st could hurt big time

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Im guessing these 2 would be in the 3.6-5.4 range meaning we would have to give up a first and a third. I couldn't care less about any pick out of the first round, but if we fall flat next year, losing that 1st could hurt big time

I like Silfverberg, but I'm not giving up a 1st for him. And that's the problem. Anaheim matches anything in that 2nd round compensatory range. They have no cap issues next season and they will again be a Cup contender. Next summer they'll have some big decisions to make, but that's next summer and they won't let go of an important piece for a draft pick in advance of a season in which they'll contend.

LA and Chicago are far more vulnerable than Anaheim.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

Especially with the draft being in BUFFALO. :help:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I don't think Murray would put our 2016 first in play for anything other than a potentially elite dman. I certainly don't think he would do it for a winger. Between Kane, Ennis, Moulson and potentially Girgensons I think he's going to think we already have enough of our cap invested in the wings, without sacrificing a 1st round pick to invest even more.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I like Silfverberg, but I'm not giving up a 1st for him. And that's the problem. Anaheim matches anything in that 2nd round compensatory range. They have no cap issues next season and they will again be a Cup contender. Next summer they'll have some big decisions to make, but that's next summer and they won't let go of an important piece for a draft pick in advance of a season in which they'll contend.

LA and Chicago are far more vulnerable than Anaheim.

If Selanne was still playing I would love to route for Anaheim, because the way they have drafted and cap room, they are going to be good for a long time still. But now I don't care so much. But I do agree with Chicago and LA comment.

Especially with the draft being in BUFFALO. :help:

Maybe we make a move, and then we are still a seller come trade deadline. We could always jump back into the 1st round. Although trading to a playoff team we would be in the later half. :boredom:

Perhaps we say to the Hawks/Kings, look it, we have a deal in place with RFA ______. We want him, and don't want you to be forced into a tight spot. So lets just make a deal, or else you're getting a 1st and a 3rd from us (or whatever it is).

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I like Silf but he's no the type of player a team like Buffalo should be offersheeting. He's the type of player a team much closer should offersheet or a team that lacks players similar to him in their system. You'd basically have to give up a 1st for a guy who ideally slots into your 3rd line with 2nd line potential. We already have that in Larsson and a bunch of our prospects.

Bps21*

Back to back 50 loss seasons and the saviors are all still kids. They shouldn't be offersheeting anyone.

Bps21*

:shakehead
50 loss seasons... ON PURPOSE. There's been some changes.

Yes. All young players. I hate then people compare our rebuild to edmonton...some people are talking about the immediate expectation of a super young roster the way their fans do.

Bps21*

Doing it on purpose does not change that it was done. They're the worst team in NHL history when the gun fired to end this season. It's not shake your head emoticon reaction worthy to saying don't trade your first round pick just because bad players will be replaced by kids.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Yeahhh, but you're also injecting players like Kane and Pysyk that didn't see any ice time last year that aren't exactly kids.

I'm not saying offer sheet teresenko and maybe next year would be more appropriate. But it's still fun to discuss who of the RFAs would be the best fit.

Bps21*

A third pair d with less than a season in the NHL and a winger playing with an 18 year old C.

It's not time to trade that pick guys.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
There a package that exists that could pry OEL from Arizona without Girgs,Risto,Eichel,or Reinhart?

Grigorenko,1st-2016,Zadorov,Baptiste,Hodgson for OEL,Smith ??

Would love to flip a bundle of strong assets for an elite, established, dman. I'm just not sure if it's doable without one of the aforementioned big 4.

Edit: I expanded talks of Hodgson for Smith into this, which is how both ended up in this deal.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I like OEL but he's not a guy you build a winner around when you have Eichel already. And the package it would take to get him is for a player you build around. He's just very inconsistent defensively but I imagine a lot of that could be because of Arizona being garbage. He looked like he was playing pond Hockey out there for the last half of the year.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I like OEL but he's not a guy you build a winner around when you have Eichel already. And the package it would take to get him is for a player you build around. He's just very inconsistent defensively but I imagine a lot of that could be because of Arizona being garbage. He looked like he was playing pond Hockey out there for the last half of the year.
OEL is not inconsistent defensively and doesn't get moved without Risto/Reinhart going the other way.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
OEL is not inconsistent defensively and doesn't get moved without Risto/Reinhart going the other way.
No ****.

And yes he is inconsistent defensively. Some games he just doesn't give a **** about the defensive side of the game. Maybe it's his ability to get up for a game on a terrible team that is inconsistent but I watched probably half of Arizona's games last season and during the last 20 or so he was more worried about getting a hat trick than being a rock defensively.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
A third pair d with less than a season in the NHL and a winger playing with an 18 year old C.

It's not time to trade that pick guys.

It's definitely time to trade that pick... given that it's for a prime aged, core piece.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
It's definitely time to trade that pick... given that it's for a prime aged, core piece.

I guess it depends on who. Would I trade it for Toffoli or Tarasenko? Sure.

A guy like Silfverberg? Noooope.

It would have to be a high-end core piece that more or less is guaranteed to get us out of the top 10 draft-wise next year.

You've been the once preaching patience throughout the entire thing. I think we can be patient with the 2016 1st rounder unless it's a godfather offer.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

The fact that we have a lot of young guys should be an argument FOR trading the pick. Not against it. That pick will just turn into...another young guy. We have enough of those.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I guess it depends on who. Would I trade it for Toffoli or Tarasenko? Sure.

A guy like Silfverberg? Noooope.

It would have to be a high-end core piece that more or less is guaranteed to get us out of the top 10 draft-wise next year.

You've been the once preaching patience throughout the entire thing. I think we can be patient with the 2016 1st rounder unless it's a godfather offer.

Agreed... Not for silfverberg... Duh

I don't think trading hypothetical 18 year olds for 22-25 yr old core type players is being impatient

I think it's flat out smart.

Now, will the opportunity presents itself? Probably not, but I'd have a list of guys and I'd be having those conversations.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
That pick will just turn into...another young guy. We have enough of those.

Do the Penguins have enough young guys? Kings? Sharks?

I get the argument for trading the 2017 1st rounder, and am actually expecting it. But that 2016 1st rounder is likely to be top 10....and as such, that's one of those players that could come in and make an impact on an ELC on a team ready to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad