Roster Speculation 2015-16 Pt. III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I don't think trading hypothetical 18 year olds for 22-25 yr old core type players is being impatient

I think it's flat out smart.

Now, will the opportunity presents itself? Probably not, but I'd have a list of guys and I'd be having those conversations.

Can't really disagree with anything here.

If we get an offer for a guy like OEL or Toffoli or some other 22-25 year old that would fit perfectly in this team, yeah you do it. No question.

I'm not trading it just to trade it though.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Let me throw out something that others may or may not have suggested. How about starting Eichel on RW? He is a young bull and a very good goal scorer. Leave Moulson, Girgs, and Ennis together. Put Reinhart with Kane and Eichel. Larsson centres Grigo and Foligno. Staple together a 4th line out of what's left. Eichel can get his sea legs and when TM thinks he is ready puts him to centre on top line with whatever wings he thinks. Ah--hope and anticipation--it's been so long!

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Let me throw out something that others may or may not have suggested. How about starting Eichel on RW? He is a young bull and a very good goal scorer. Leave Moulson, Girgs, and Ennis together. Put Reinhart with Kane and Eichel. Larsson centres Grigo and Foligno. Staple together a 4th line out of what's left. Eichel can get his sea legs and when TM thinks he is ready puts him to centre on top line with whatever wings he thinks. Ah--hope and anticipation--it's been so long!

Starting Eichel on the wing is and always has been an option. But not with another young center that may also need to start on the wing.

That said -- watching Eichel in the WCs......I'm not nearly as sold on him needing to start at wing. Maybe you break him in easy between Foligno and Gionta.....Foligno's played a bit of C before.

As far as Girgensons goes, in my ideal world he starts with Reinhart. Seems like a great pairing and then when Reinhart is ready to play C, figure out where Zemgod goes.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I don't think Murray would put our 2016 first in play for anything other than a potentially elite dman. I certainly don't think he would do it for a winger. Between Kane, Ennis, Moulson and potentially Girgensons I think he's going to think we already have enough of our cap invested in the wings, without sacrificing a 1st round pick to invest even more.

To build on this, I just listened to Bylsma on WGR and, in response to a question about goaltending, he discussed how the most important pieces on the team are the top-4 D and the top 3 centers. If his thinking is in line with GMTM's, I'm even more sure a big name winger isn't going to be on the agenda.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
It may be just as or almost as effective to trade one of the three big RW prospects. It will certainly hurt less and I believe they're regarded pretty highly among GMs. Take your pick

A successful year in the A will definitely build value to Bailey and Baptiste though.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Grigo. Zadorov, 21st, 2016 1st, hodgson,
For
OEL

Done. And I don't even think twice about it. With the exception that I'd probably want some sort of protection (maybe top 3/lotto win protection) on the '16 pick. Otherwise you take this, run away screaming and happy.

In other words Arizona hangs up the phone.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
It may be just as or almost as effective to trade one of the three big RW prospects. It will certainly hurt less and I believe they're regarded pretty highly among GMs. Take your pick.

Trade them for what exactly? It certainly wouldn't surprise me to see one of them flipped for an equal value D prospect.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Trade them for what exactly? It certainly wouldn't surprise me to see one of them flipped for an equal value D prospect.

Yeah exactly. I think the odds of all three coming up with the Sabres, all within a year or so, are slim anyway.

To be more precise, if they were packaged for a young NHL ready d man with say, 21. I'm pretty sure we've picked apart any possible trade returns but more importantly, TM surely has his favorites.

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
To build on this, I just listened to Bylsma on WGR and, in response to a question about goaltending, he discussed how the most important pieces on the team are the top-4 D and the top 3 centers. If his thinking is in line with GMTM's, I'm even more sure a big name winger isn't going to be on the agenda.

Everything he says is music to my ears.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Done. And I don't even think twice about it. With the exception that I'd probably want some sort of protection (maybe top 3/lotto win protection) on the '16 pick. Otherwise you take this, run away screaming and happy.

In other words Arizona hangs up the phone.

I don't even need top 3 protection... Isn't OEL the top 10ish defensemen/dynamic offensive force we'd be looking for with a top pick anyways?

Phoenix has a ton of work to do... I'm not so sure they'd turn down 5 first rounders, 3 of which their assistant GM chose...

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
It's become an easy yes, because our prospect pool is insanely good

the extra shot at Matthews could be enticing to them. i would **** a brick if we acquired OEL. he is one of my favorite players to watch. i consider him a top-5 defenseman.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
the extra shot at Matthews could be enticing to them. i would **** a brick if we acquired OEL. he is one of my favorite players to watch. i consider him a top-5 defenseman.

Furthermore, it would add an already-established elite core piece to our system, in exchange for several 'potential' cornerstones. Win-win move. The only question would be Arizona's take on it.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Furthermore, it would add an already-established elite core piece to our system, in exchange for several 'potential' cornerstones. Win-win move. The only question would be Arizona's take on it.

No. They wouldn't.

Reinhart ++

Risto ++

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Grigo. Zadorov, 21st, 2016 1st, hodgson,
For
OEL

smiley-face-thumbs-up-cartoon-yTkeza64c.png

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
OEL is great, but we are in no position to trade our 2016 1st, under any circumstancesl. Most untouchable asset we have after Eichel. There is a very good chance we are back in the basement again, even with OEL, and we don't have much margin of error even if things go well. We need to see where this ship is heading first.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Don't want to put two youngsters together like that (Eichel/Reinhart). You also forgot Gionta. Who will certainly be in the top 9.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Strokes, how can you consider our 2016 pick a better asset than Reinhart when Reinhart was a #2 OA and even if we finish last in the league our chance at drafting in the top 2 will only be like 40%?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad