Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Look, I'm a leaf fan and I come in peace. I am by no way saying you guys should trade Dobson for Marner (however it would make me very happy if it did happen.)

Obviously with this deal, if it were to happen. Is there a preferred contract you'd want to attach to the deal?

I've talked myself about JGP + Dobson but no idea if you guys consider Pageau that bad of a contract.
IMO Lou hangs up the second Dobson is mentioned. But for the sake of HFBoards-ing, if there were to be a framework around Dobson/Marner (extended) I think it would make sense to include Lee/Liljegren to balance out cap/roster spots... And then Toronto makes a rather large add.

We’d all love to have Marner here, but we aren’t really in a position to let go of a player like Dobson unless a deal is very overwhelmingly in our favor.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Any other than shipping out Pageau/Lee, grabbing a very good winger, and then replacing the defense they will likely have to deal for the winger is a failure of the offseason.

Also I should add on to your poster saying this offseason also has to include not signing guys like Rielly to insane deals.

Amen brother. Feels like you have your hand on the pulse and we are very much in lockstep about where Lou/this franchise is on the "how to have any hope about a Cup" map.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
IMO Lou hangs up the second Dobson is mentioned. But for the sake of HFBoards-ing, if there were to be a framework around Dobson/Marner (extended) I think it would make sense to include Lee/Liljegren to balance out cap/roster spots... And then Toronto makes a rather large add.

We’d all love to have Marner here, but we aren’t really in a position to let go of a player like Dobson unless a deal is very overwhelmingly in our favor.

Regarding Marner...Please speak for yourself. This is my philosophy on him....

Rule #1: Do not trade for an offensive player who's production goes down (considerably) in the playoffs.

Rule #2: Do not trade 3 good assets for this player.

Rule #3: Do not trade for a player like this when they are 1 year out from UFA. Better to take your chances and just sign them (but still better to just walk away).

Reactions: MarsTBOW

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
So far so good for Lou. Hopefully he can get Reilly in at a good rate. Maybe 3yr/2mil per. Also like to see another good low signing for the bottom 6/PK. I think a guy like Blackwell would look nice along side Mac and Zeek for the 4th line
I don't want Reilly, I would like them to get either Ekman-Larsson or Kulikov for the 3rd pair LD

Florida has cap problems. They have to re-sign Reinhart, Montour, Lundell and Stenlund first.

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
Any thoughts on Jeff skinner? Rumor is Buffalo is buying him out.

At a low salary, he could really help us. I know he’s a perimeter player but we do need players that can score.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

At a low salary, he could really help us. I know he’s a perimeter player but we do need players that can score.
I absolutely would take him at a low salary. He’s productive, he’s just grossly overpaid. Same how I’d like Goodrow if the Rags bought him out. How I like Pageau and Lee. Economically no at their current deals but at a lower price, sure

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

If BUF buys him out, Skinner will take $1M to play on a top contender so he has a shot at the Cup that he so richly deserves. :rolleyes:

Reactions: periferal

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Taking on a fading 14-year vet who hasn't played a single playoff game and would be overpaid even if the Sabres retained salary is so the wrong move, but this is the kind of thing our GM has forced us to consider because of how he still hasn't solved the scoring issue and how desperate we still are for it.

Reactions: beach

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
Taking on a fading 14-year vet who hasn't played a single playoff game and would be overpaid even if the Sabres retained salary is so the wrong move, but this is the kind of thing our GM has forced us to consider because of how he still hasn't solved the scoring issue and how desperate we still are for it.
If he’s bought out, he’s a free agent. We wouldn’t have to worry about retained salary.

He’s made over 100m in his career, he will probably sign for less that 3m, I think it’s worth kicking tires on a player who had 33g 30a, 35g 47a, and 24g 22a his last 3 seasons.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Atlanta
Everybody drink!

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If he’s bought out, he’s a free agent. We wouldn’t have to worry about retained salary.

He’s made over 100m in his career, he will probably sign for less that 3m, I think it’s worth kicking tires on a player who had 33g 30a, 35g 47a, and 24g 22a his last 3 seasons.

I hear you. Sure...Sign him for a million if you can, but...

• With the cap going up let's see if some foolish team gives the Sabres something small if they retain 50% of his salary.
  • The Sabres have no big FAs to sign and 23+ million of cap space so no really rush to buyout Skinner
  • The cap should go up next season as well when the Sabres have over 36 million in cap space, so again...No real need to buyout Skinner
  • Even If he does hit the UFA market, with more cap money out on the market no doubt Skiiner will have enough suitors who both can offer him more money and a better chance at the Cup so no reason for him to sign here (unless he doesn't want to get a new driver's license).

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
I hear you. Sure...Sign him for a million if you can, but...

• With the cap going up let's see if some foolish team gives the Sabres something small if they retain 50% of his salary.
  • The Sabres have no big FAs to sign and 23+ million of cap space so no really rush to buyout Skinner
  • The cap should go up next season as well when the Sabres have over 36 million in cap space, so again...No real need to buyout Skinner
  • Even If he does hit the UFA market, with more cap money out on the market no doubt Skiiner will have enough suitors who both can offer him more money and a better chance at the Cup so no reason for him to sign here (unless he doesn't want to get a new driver's license).
Actually, who am I kidding? He’s probably going to sign in Toronto to play for his hometown leafs. 🤮

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

He's another guy you take a shot at if the price is right. I don't care much about his lack of playoff experience, a new opportunity could be motivation for him. He scores goals and that would be a welcome addition for a team that doesn't.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I think he will be as well, I wonder who is replacement unless it’s just Desroyers.

Yeah, I suspect he'll take over the D. It was reported he helped implement Roy's structure. Moreover, Mac has to go as well; clean house. That PP looks abysmal. His son just got an extension, so all parties should be happy.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Regarding Marner...Please speak for yourself. This is my philosophy on him....
You must have really loved that post you made! Anyway…

- Marner scores at a .87 ppg clip in the playoffs. The islanders have exactly 0 players that match that. His lowered playoff production is higher than any player we’ve had since the 80s.
- What? When did i say anything about 3 assets?
- What? Did you read what I posted?

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY

Skinner will take his buyout money and go play for a cup somewhere where there are no state taxes. Florida, Vegas, Dallas, take your pick

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Skinner will take his buyout money and go play for a cup somewhere where there are no state taxes. Florida, Vegas, Dallas, take your pick
On a one year minimum deal too.

No matter which way you slice it, Lou's hands are pretty much tied this offseason. Sure, I think he may try to trade Pageau but there will be no return and the Isles' needs are plaenty so it's not like you can just take that $5 million to pay for a top 6 player to replace him. Also, the deals made on July 1st are nearly all horribly bad, and there is little point in trying to get rid of JGP only to sign Henrique to a mutil year deal. It doesn't move the needle at all.

I think Lou will stick to his guns and there will not be any major changes, or changes at all. Dobson and Romanov will need to be paid this offseason, and Nelson WILL get a 5 year deal to see out his career with the Isles. I wouldn't be in the least surprised to see Reilly back on a 3-4 year deal either.

It's gonna be a summer full of hopes to be crushed...

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
On a one year minimum deal too.

No matter which way you slice it, Lou's hands are pretty much tied this offseason. Sure, I think he may try to trade Pageau but there will be no return and the Isles' needs are plaenty so it's not like you can just take that $5 million to pay for a top 6 player to replace him. Also, the deals made on July 1st are nearly all horribly bad, and there is little point in trying to get rid of JGP only to sign Henrique to a mutil year deal. It doesn't move the needle at all.

I think Lou will stick to his guns and there will not be any major changes, or changes at all. Dobson and Romanov will need to be paid this offseason, and Nelson WILL get a 5 year deal to see out his career with the Isles. I wouldn't be in the least surprised to see Reilly back on a 3-4 year deal either.

It's gonna be a summer full of hopes to be crushed...
Ugh.

The absolute worst thing you can do when your "hands are tied" is make it to where your feet are too in the future and do stupid extensions like it most certainly would be if you hand out a 5-year deal to a 34-year old and give extra unnecessary years to a journeyman defenseman who has played for 6 teams in the last six years.

Although I dont completely agree with that argument, the reason it is difficult is exactly for that reason, because so many contracts are hard to move (JGP, Lee, Mayfield, Engvall, etc) because of said stupid extensions.....last thing you want to do is add two more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad