Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

Status
Not open for further replies.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
I'm definitely excited and optimistic to see what Roy can do with a fresh season. He can't work miracles, as seen by the playoffs, but I hope some changes and him behind the bench from game 1 will produce results.
What’s his amount of input in roster construction?
Not just trades, but who plays(and how much)and who is on the roster, who sits?
With Lou in charge you get the cone if silence
This year? Actions might speak louder than words as to who is making those types of decisions

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He was done by game 60. Had a small burst of life there at the end but that unwatchable skid we went on was largely tied to him just being gassed. If I’m trying to keep his AAV down, that’s likely what I’m pointing to… you can’t be “the guy” for 2/3s of the season and expect to get paid like Roman Josi.

I think that there’s a good chance that without Pulock + Mayfield missing extensive time simultaneously he keeps it up for the season. If he shows that, he shows he’s a true #1 and potentially challenges for one of the highest defensive contracts next offseason. We might be talking the difference between 8.5x8 and 11x8 which is 20M. If I’m Dobson I’m betting on a better playing field, and I’m betting on myself.

Let's say he regresses a bit offensively, how much of a hit is he going to take? I just don't know if it's worth the risk. Maybe they'll split the difference.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The Toronto market is so crazy that I would kind of discount any reputation (30 Beat Writers!). We'll likely never know, but he could be a whole different player in another market, if we ever see that.

Are you suggesting that the Toronto media/fans are even slightly to blame for the Leafs total playoff ineptitude the last few decades? I hope not.

Amazing that the media/fans don't seem to stop guys like Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander from scoring and winning a decent amount in the regular season.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
If Florida blows a 3-0 lead?
You think they might be interested in acquiring leadership?
Maybe a Lee for Thachuk trade?

I’m being facetious
Maybe

Reactions: FoxYou727

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Are you suggesting that the Toronto media/fans are even slightly to blame for the Leafs total playoff ineptitude the last few decades? I hope not.

Amazing that the media/fans don't seem to stop guys like Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander from scoring and winning a decent amount in the regular season.
No, my point is to discount reputation. When you have that many beat writers, some of them are going to make anyone look bad to keep their job.

Look at New York when it was such a duel between the Post and News and a few other outlets and realize that Toronto is that on steroids.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
No, my point is to discount reputation. When you have that many beat writers, some of them are going to make anyone look bad to keep their job.

Look at New York when it was such a duel between the Post and News and a few other outlets and realize that Toronto is that on steroids.

And? So if you're saying that the Toronto media is in fact NOT to blame for any of the Leafs woes then it is obviously on the players (and management). Even more of a reason to be skeptical about acquiring any of those guys.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
The problem with Beauvillier while he was here, is that we expected him to be a top-6 forward. Now that we know he isn't that, what's the problem with bringing him on as a third liner?

He still gives his all, and a familiar face isn't the worst thing - especially at a low cap hit.
I agree with you and am not opposed to this (especially since I have a jersey with his name on it, haha). He really wouldn't be a bad 3rd liner that can chip in with some goals from time to time. His problem was always consistency. He needs to have less fun and produce more :P

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
And? So if you're saying that the Toronto media is in fact NOT to blame for any of the Leafs woes then it is obviously on the players (and management). Even more of a reason to be skeptical about acquiring any of those guys.
You are seeing this backwards Perif. I'm pointing out that reputation derived from the coverage in Toronto gets overblown because there's so many beat writers that some will go overboard and that taints the reputation the players get.

And sometimes it works in reverse, as the media up there all refused to see what we say with Tavares' weaknesses and no one up there believed he did anything wrong on the Island.

It's hard for all of us to put ourselves in a Toronto player's position; the Yankee coverage PALES in comparison. 90% of ALL the sports media in Canada is hockey, everything gets magnified.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Let's say he regresses a bit offensively, how much of a hit is he going to take? I just don't know if it's worth the risk. Maybe they'll split the difference.
I think maybe it costs him a year? Hronek just got 7.5 after his first high output year which happened to coincide with him being put on a pairing with Hughes. Same thing happened with Toews. Dobson is the Hughes/Makar (obviously not on same level) in this scenario and the cap is going up so I think he realistically bottoms out at a little more than they make.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Idk what it would take, but Rutger McGroarty wants out of the Jets organization. I'd love to pick up a young piece like him a few years into his development already. 52 points in 36 games for U of Michigan last season 🔥

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Idk what it would take, but Rutger Mcgroaty wants out of the Jets organization. I'd love to pick up a young piece like him a few years into his development already. 52 points in 36 games for U of Michigan last season 🔥
Literally came here to post this.

Something around Nelson and McGroarty can be a realistic base of a deal IMO.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
You are seeing this backwards Perif. I'm pointing out that reputation derived from the coverage in Toronto gets overblown because there's so many beat writers that some will go overboard and that taints the reputation the players get.

And sometimes it works in reverse, as the media up there all refused to see what we say with Tavares' weaknesses and no one up there believed he did anything wrong on the Island.

It's hard for all of us to put ourselves in a Toronto player's position; the Yankee coverage PALES in comparison. 90% of ALL the sports media in Canada is hockey, everything gets magnified.

I hear you. I'm just saying that the media doesn't really matter because the media doesn't play games. I'm just focused on results of games and how each player contributes to wins or losses. I'd much rather watch an interview with a player than read an article about them. And to me given the lack of grit/leadership I see from Marner combined with who he plays with there (and who he'd play with here), makes me confident that he'd not only be a "lesser" player here, but a very overpaid lesser player.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
If this is true, Lou needs to be all over this. Id trade this years 20th overall for his rights if he was willing to sign. Hes ready to turn pro and 2 years ahead in development.
One of my favorite players in the 2022 draft. Kids big strong and talented as hell. Great leader too.
I'd imagine they'd want more than the 20th for him, being he was a 14thov and has done nothing to decrease his stock. But yes, we do need to be all over that if he has any interest in playing here (he should...our wing depth is wide open.)

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If this is true, Lou needs to be all over this. Id trade this years 20th overall for his rights if he was willing to sign. Hes ready to turn pro and 2 years ahead in development.
One of my favorite players in the 2022 draft. Kids big strong and talented as hell. Great leader too.

Not a single person should get their hopes up here. If he's holding Winnipeg hostage with threats of going back into the draft that means any team trading for him would want to have a contract in place before pulling of a deal. This McGroarty can basically choose where he wants to go.

Just watch the rangers pull off a deal for him involving Kakko.

Reactions: 12Dog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad