Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
As much as I dislike Lou as a GM and his prehistoric ways that are no longer a path to greatness, Roy likes to win so I’m sure this team will be different come opening day. I think Roy has more clout now than previous coaches only because Lou has realized his formula is not working. Expect changes!

Reactions: BelovedIsles

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Does buyout money get taxed based on where you live?
I was wondering about that when I posted it… I think maybe? The company I work for isn’t legally based in NY but I pay NY taxes. If that were the case though, wouldn’t every player get a trailer in Nevada and list it as their legal residence? Would fix the parity issue in a second lmao

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
On a one year minimum deal too.

No matter which way you slice it, Lou's hands are pretty much tied this offseason. Sure, I think he may try to trade Pageau but there will be no return and the Isles' needs are plaenty so it's not like you can just take that $5 million to pay for a top 6 player to replace him. Also, the deals made on July 1st are nearly all horribly bad, and there is little point in trying to get rid of JGP only to sign Henrique to a mutil year deal. It doesn't move the needle at all.

I think Lou will stick to his guns and there will not be any major changes, or changes at all. Dobson and Romanov will need to be paid this offseason, and Nelson WILL get a 5 year deal to see out his career with the Isles. I wouldn't be in the least surprised to see Reilly back on a 3-4 year deal either.

It's gonna be a summer full of hopes to be crushed...
If I’m Romanov, I might take a deal this offseason. But no way in hell am I signing anything if I’m Dobson. Coming off a career year where I slowed down at the end because I was forced to play 30 mins a night for a quarter of the year?

If I’m Dobson I’m hoping for a healthier year from my teammates and betting on myself and my new coach. Let me show I can play at that level for a whole season under less extreme circumstances. He’s got virtually no injury history (knock on wood), and the only reason I could see him signing early would be the fear that his value has peaked. I don’t think it’s anywhere close tbh

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
If I’m Romanov, I might take a deal this offseason. But no way in hell am I signing anything if I’m Dobson. Coming off a career year where I slowed down at the end because I was forced to play 30 mins a night for a quarter of the year?

If I’m Dobson I’m hoping for a healthier year from my teammates and betting on myself and my new coach. Let me show I can play at that level for a whole season under less extreme circumstances. He’s got virtually no injury history (knock on wood), and the only reason I could see him signing early would be the fear that his value has peaked. I don’t think it’s anywhere close tbh

How much better of a season can Dobson have? I don't think it's realistic to expect that kind of offensive output year over year based off what he's shown so far. Very few defenseman are able to do that, it'd be a huge gamble.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Be curious to get your take on Holmstrom and Iskhakov - both RFA's this summer.

During Lou's time with NJ, the AHL club was nicknamed "Lou U" - because the Devils used to let players "marinate" in minor pro more than some other organizations.

Is that still possible in the current cap era or are those two destined for greener pastures elsewhere?

Holmstrom is here. He'll be sticking around. I think Lou and Roy are fully planning on him taking a further step. He's going to need to, to be honest.

Iskhakov is a gimmick. He's a trickster who can entertain a minor league crowd. Don't get me wrong. I like the young man just fine. He's good-natured and well-spoken. He's a good kid to have around and yes, you'd have to think he too will be re-upped at the expected minimum raise.

But no way should anyone think this team is planning with him as an NHL option.

I personally contend that he needs to be part of deal before we see him jump over to Europe once he'd be parked back on the farm next fall, something his group will likely want to build in as a an option in the next contract.

He is waiver-exempt.

Last edited:

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
I'd rather trade out Pageau and Holmstrom for Lilegjren and Robertson (or a prospect and Lilejgren)

isles need to get crafty, then again we dont exactly need a RHD. I just feel like everything is speculation.
Robertson has some potential and is a good choice in my view. Unfortunately, this team's GM has really pushed them into a corner cap wise where the team needs to find value, which comes with the unknown. Robertson's got some wheels and maybe he just needs to get away from that organization and not be so far down the depth chart.

Perhaps Holmstrom evolves into that value LW this team needs. I liked Kaliyev and thought maybe he could be a fit. He also just may be a left handed version of Wally. Maccelli is another player I like and watched a lot. 31 other gm's are trying to do the same thing and find some gems that hit and maybe need a change of scenery. It's gonna be an interesting summer for sure.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The draft is now a week away (with Stanley Cup and NHL Awards ceremonies taking place before then).

I'd love to just finally see this team use the picks. Then free agency kicks off.

At this point though, taking currrent league events, the current cap & line-up situation, and Lou's propensity to move 1st and 2nd rounders into consideration, I'd be all up for seeing the following take place:
June 28th:
- Pageau, Engvall, Dufour, Bolduc & Pick 20 to Ottawa for Shane Pinto, Mathieu Joseph, and Pick 136.

June 29th:
- Wahlstrom to Los Angeles for Kaliyev.
- Palmieri, Iskhakov, and Pick 54 to St. Louis for Buchnevich and Pick 81
- Gauthier and pick 81 to Utah for Soderstrom and Pick 98
- Use picks 61, 98, 115, 136, 147, 179

As of July 1st:
- D Reilly 2 x 1.5 MM
- LW Lomberg 3 x 1.2 MM
- F Beauvillier 1 x 900 k
- D Calle Rosen 2 x 850 k

Top 7:
Barzal, Horvat, Nelson, Buchnevich, Pinto, Lee, Kaliyev
Bottom 8:
Cizikas, Holmstrom, Joseph, Lomberg, MacLean, Beauvillier, Tsyplakov, Fasching

Top 4:
Romanov, Dobson, Pulock, Pelech
Bottom 4:
Reilly, Mayfield, Soderstrom, Rosen

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
The draft is now a week away (with Stanley Cup and NHL Awards ceremonies taking place before then).

I'd love to just finally see this team use the picks. Then free agency kicks off.

At this point though, taking currrent league events, the current cap & line-up situation, and Lou's propensity to move 1st and 2nd rounders into consideration, I'd be all up for seeing the following take place:
June 28th:
- Pageau, Engvall, Dufour, Bolduc & Pick 20 to Ottawa for Shane Pinto, Mathieu Joseph, and Pick 136.

June 29th:
- Wahlstrom to Los Angeles for Kaliyev.
- Palmieri, Iskhakov, and Pick 54 to St. Louis for Buchnevich and Pick 81
- Gauthier and pick 81 to Utah for Soderstrom and Pick 98
- Use picks 61, 98, 115, 136, 147, 179

As of July 1st:
- D Reilly 2 x 1.5 MM
- LW Lomberg 3 x 1.2 MM
- F Beauvillier 1 x 900 k
- D Calle Rosen 2 x 850 k

Top 7:
Barzal, Horvat, Nelson, Buchnevich, Pinto, Lee, Kaliyev
Bottom 8:
Cizikas, Holmstrom, Joseph, Lomberg, MacLean, Beauvillier, Tsyplakov, Fasching

Top 4:
Romanov, Dobson, Pulock, Pelech
Bottom 4:
Reilly, Mayfield, Soderstrom, Rosen

Now do the same approach as an optimist instead of a pessimist . . . :laugh:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Actually, who am I kidding? He’s probably going to sign in Toronto to play for his hometown leafs. 🤮
I remember way back when that Skinner and Tavares played on a line together in a WC and killed it. So maybe that's not a crazy idea on a 1 year deal.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
It's gonna be a summer full of hopes to be crushed...
1718988842185.png

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
My expectations are yes change is inevitable, however coaches have a short shelf life if they aren’t winning. Therefore I expect more of the same trading for immediate help.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
As much as I dislike Lou as a GM and his prehistoric ways that are no longer a path to greatness, Roy likes to win so I’m sure this team will be different come opening day. I think Roy has more clout now than previous coaches only because Lou has realized his formula is not working. Expect changes!

I'm definitely excited and optimistic to see what Roy can do with a fresh season. He can't work miracles, as seen by the playoffs, but I hope some changes and him behind the bench from game 1 will produce results.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
How much better of a season can Dobson have? I don't think it's realistic to expect that kind of offensive output year over year based off what he's shown so far. Very few defenseman are able to do that, it'd be a huge gamble.
He was done by game 60. Had a small burst of life there at the end but that unwatchable skid we went on was largely tied to him just being gassed. If I’m trying to keep his AAV down, that’s likely what I’m pointing to… you can’t be “the guy” for 2/3s of the season and expect to get paid like Roman Josi.

I think that there’s a good chance that without Pulock + Mayfield missing extensive time simultaneously he keeps it up for the season. If he shows that, he shows he’s a true #1 and potentially challenges for one of the highest defensive contracts next offseason. We might be talking the difference between 8.5x8 and 11x8 which is 20M. If I’m Dobson I’m betting on a better playing field, and I’m betting on myself.

Reactions: MJF

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
The problem with Beauvillier while he was here, is that we expected him to be a top-6 forward. Now that we know he isn't that, what's the problem with bringing him on as a third liner?

He still gives his all, and a familiar face isn't the worst thing - especially at a low cap hit.
There’s like 4 minor leaguers I’d rather give a chance to than Beau. If the plan isn’t to replace MM and CC with similar type players, we have a couple of Beau types we could call up right now.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
He was done by game 60. Had a small burst of life there at the end but that unwatchable skid we went on was largely tied to him just being gassed. If I’m trying to keep his AAV down, that’s likely what I’m pointing to… you can’t be “the guy” for 2/3s of the season and expect to get paid like Roman Josi.

I think that there’s a good chance that without Pulock + Mayfield missing extensive time simultaneously he keeps it up for the season. If he shows that, he shows he’s a true #1 and potentially challenges for one of the highest defensive contracts next offseason. We might be talking the difference between 8.5x8 and 11x8 which is 20M. If I’m Dobson I’m betting on a better playing field, and I’m betting on myself.

Even at 8 million a year, you just guaranteed yourself generational wealth, never having to work after hockey again. A bad injury and that could all go down the drain, obviously that seems unlikely, but you never know what can happen.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
You must have really loved that post you made! Anyway…

- Marner scores at a .87 ppg clip in the playoffs. The islanders have exactly 0 players that match that. His lowered playoff production is higher than any player we’ve had since the 80s.
- What? When did i say anything about 3 assets?
- What? Did you read what I posted?

I thought it was obviously that when I reposted my original reply was to someone else, but still gave the overall concept on Marner.

In regards to your bolded comment above...That is so much more a comment about how pathetic most owners and GMs have been around here the last 40 years than Marner.

Hopefully your goal is like mine and that is to win a Cup. And while there is no magic bullet, a pretty big clue is when you see most Cup winning teams the guys with the highest contracts on their teams had their PPG in the playoffs IMPROVE when compared with the regular season.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I thought it was obviously that when I reposted my original reply was to someone else, but still gave the overall concept on Marner.

In regards to your bolded comment above...That is so much more a comment about how pathetic most owners and GMs have been around here the last 40 years than Marner.

Hopefully your goal is like mine and that is to win a Cup. And while there is no magic bullet, a pretty big clue is when you see most Cup winning teams the guys with the highest contracts on their teams had their PPG in the playoffs IMPROVE when compared with the regular season.

To be fair, Marner is ranked 82nd overall in NHL history with that 0.87, so it isn't like he's awful.

#83 is Zetterberg
#84 is Bobby Clarke

There's a LOT of big names below hm on the list. There are reasons to look towards for not bringing him here, but playoff performance is only a problem if his contract is outlandish. In the entire history of hockey, being 82nd isn't bad and not easy to beat no matter who Lou brings in. And under Barry, there will be NO ONE who scores a large PPG anyhow given how the team would play.

Reactions: Potvottier

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
To be fair, Marner is ranked 82nd overall in NHL history with that 0.87, so it isn't like he's awful.

#83 is Zetterberg
#84 is Bobby Clarke

There's a LOT of big names below hm on the list. There are reasons to look towards for not bringing him here, but playoff performance is only a problem if his contract is outlandish. In the entire history of hockey, being 82nd isn't bad and not easy to beat no matter who Lou brings in. And under Barry, there will be NO ONE who scores a large PPG anyhow given how the team would play.

Respect this post, but you simply can't judge players from before 2000 on this list. It was a different game back then...And even moreso the further back you go.

Though not sure why we're still talking about Trotz since he's no longer coach.

But what is relevant is who Marner has been playing with in Toronto, which is significantly more talented than who he'd be playing with if he came here. It's looking like Matthews is going to go down as a top 10 goal scorer of all time in the NHL. That makes a huge difference.

And even with him, Tavares, Nylander, etc, the Leafs are a mess. And I do think Marner has a lack of grit and leadership that is a notable part of the issues there.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Respect this post, but you simply can't judge players from before 2000 on this list. It was a different game back then...And even moreso the further back you go.

Though not sure why we're still talking about Trotz since he's no longer coach.

But what is relevant is who Marner has been playing with in Toronto, which is significantly more talented than who he'd be playing with if he came here. It's looking like Matthews is going to go down as a top 10 goal scorer of all time in the NHL. That makes a huge difference.

And even with him, Tavares, Nylander, etc, the Leafs are a mess. And I do think Marner has a lack of grit and leadership that is a notable part of the issues there.

The Toronto market is so crazy that I would kind of discount any reputation (30 Beat Writers!). We'll likely never know, but he could be a whole different player in another market, if we ever see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad