Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
We were a fring playoff team last season...We're a fringe playoff team this season. So no.

It's Trotz that we miss more than we think (no matter how much you miss him).

replying to you right now because you asked how I can possibly be indifferent on Lambert a few days ago.

Before I start of course I realize Trotz is a better coach. He is the best coach in the league. That being said I also saw Trotz struggle without Pelech (would have missed playoffs had COVID not happened) while Lambert was able to get this team into the playoffs with no Pelech or Barzal the entire second half.

I also do believe that Lou should have moved on from Lambert after the SJ game. Every game that we keep Lambert is a negative towards Lamoriello. The roster that Lambert has right now is better than any Trotz level roster in my personal opinion. We also saw Lambert survive Mayfield, Pulock, and Pelech injuries all at once this season as well.

So while you all may not like it and this is likely the most positive Lambert post you will see until they go on another winning streak there it is. I remain indifferent on him not because I think he is an amazing coach but like many coaches we will replace him with he has done some good and some bad.

iggy

Aug 2, 2005
I honestly thought Lambert would've been gone by xmas but yet he is still here cause he put together a few wins but the problem is still here. The system stinks worse than a bum on the A train.
He has a system? Haven't seen it.

• Haha
Reactions: Lek

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Respect the reply SI.

My thing is that if you look at this entire team/organization through a micro or macro lens I don't see how they could be close to a Cup for years. To me that's the bottom line, so while there may be some improvements in individuals players' or on the PP as a whole, it doesn't get us anywhere near a championship and why I was, and am, so disappointed with the direction of the team.
IMO, they are close. They have many pieces in place - Dobson is a 1D, Sorokin is a top G and Vezina caliber goalie, Barzal and Horvat top line F’s, Nelson is a perfect 2C, strong RHD depth, shutdown D Pair, and a 3C…

And to illustrate my point, look at Vancouver - similar team with many nice pieces but last season was a MESS. Tocchet comes in and changes approach- focuses on process and now they are world beaters - you could not predict that last season.

Again, I was late to the fire Lane crowd - I think it is time - we could use the new coach bump, but I also think a new voice can get this team playig to their potential.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Plenty of talent on this team in all three areas, one of the most respected GMs in the league, stable franchise, owner spends money on the team (and the coach), minimal media attention, playoff team 4/5 years, east coast travel, etc.
Some talent, not plenty. But no farm talent and several upcoming draft picks already traded away. A respected GM who won't be there long. Stable franchise and good owner can be found in many places. Minimal media attention could be a negative as easily as a positive. East coast travel is real, but half the league has that. Point is, for any desirable coach, there are probably better gigs. Just trying to be honest.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Some talent, not plenty. But no farm talent and several upcoming draft picks already traded away. A respected GM who won't be there long. Stable franchise and good owner can be found in many places. Minimal media attention could be a negative as easily as a positive. East coast travel is real, but half the league has that. Point is, for any desirable coach, there are probably better gigs. Just trying to be honest.
And those are all fair, however, if you look around the league and the significant coach turnover in the past two years, teams are on a new hire, one already invested in, or long term guys with good teams.

If the Isles open the spot up, then it’s one of the few places to go. Same way Trotz ended up with the Isles: no place to go, isles had committed ownership, their franchise player ditched them, they had NVMC, old man Lou was still old (and super respected), and he got paid…which is what he wanted.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Don't forget, a host of bad contracts, a few the next GM will deal with for 6 more years.

Reactions: Top Corner

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Are the preseason optimists still optimistic?

Will all of them actually admit they were...Or even identify themselves at all...?
To the extent that there are camps on this board, I've never seen it as optimists vs. pessimists. For me it always seemed that "tear it down and rebuild" vs "retool on the fly" is the real dividing line.

As for your request to see papers, I like enough things about the roster to think tearing it down doesn't make sense. It needs some work, but in a largely mediocre East the roster with a tweak or two might be able to do some damage in the playoffs with a good coach and some discipline and adherence to a system. But I'm not "optimistic" with this coach. And I said I hoped he'd be gone last offseason.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Don't forget, a host of bad contracts, a few the next GM will deal with for 6 more years.
Could you please name the host of bad contracts? Because you are making it more of an issue than it actually is.

And any contract you can name it has a very reasonable buyout option.
BTW, there a handful of teams - at least 12 that I can think of - dealing with dead contracts eating in to their cap- the Isles have no dead $.

Arsenalogist24

Dec 10, 2013
If Barzal and Bo aren’t gonna get reunited on a line I think Brock should be traded for some futures or young NHLer(s) to join our younger core

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Could you please name the host of bad contracts? Because you are making it more of an issue than it actually is.

BTW, there a handful of teams - at least 12 that I can think of - dealing with dead contracts eating in to their cap- the Isles have no dead $.

Here’s a better question.

Can you name the good contracts we have? It’s a shorter list.

On a similar note, would any team pick up Mayfield or Engvall if they were put on waivers? That’s a serious question.

Reactions: Ishkabible and MJF

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008

On a similar note, would any team pick up Mayfield or Engvall if they were put on waivers? That’s a serious question.
Who around the league has good contracts? How do the Gaudreau and Kadri contacts look?

Isles have a hard time bring big time free agents where, so resigning players has become a priority. Mayfield and Engvall have their warts but they are NHL caliber players. Who would be signed to replace them at that age and price? Reminder you can throw a name out there does not mean they will come to Long Island.

All these contracts that were signed were ment to keep this core together for the next three years. After that hopefully cap goes up and you can buy out the dead weight, and maybe get lucky with some of these picks.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Who around the league has good contracts? How do the Gaudreau and Kadri contacts look?

Isles have a hard time bring big time free agents where, so resigning players has become a priority. Mayfield and Engvall have their warts but they are NHL caliber players. Who would be signed to replace them at that age and price? Reminder you can throw a name out there does not mean they will come to Long Island.

All these contracts that were signed were ment to keep this core together for the next three years. After that hopefully cap goes up and you can buy out the dead weight, and maybe get lucky with some of these picks.
I see the argument there.

Other teams made ill advised signings, so why be so upset with the ones that we made. And don’t forget those long-term low AV contracts can always be bought out.

Please provide me a list of all the contract buyouts that the isles have made in the last 10 years. You can also let me know how things are going for Minnesota with all their buyouts.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

How many contract buyouts can you make in 1 season?

I'm not concerned with the other 12+ teams with bad contracts. I'm only concerned about the Islanders bad contracts and how they affect the moves Lamoriello can make.

Or Palmieri, Pageau, Martin, Lee?

If the answer is yes, maybe it will be worthwhile to waive a few of them if there's no trade partner out there.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Serious question, how many games have we blown in the 3rd this year? and lost in OT? i know some of it is normal and happens, but i figure we should have at least 8 more points, no?

Reactions: Nassau Revisited

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
I see the argument there.

Other teams made ill advised signings, so why be so upset with the ones that we made. And don’t forget those long-term low AV contracts can always be bought out.

Please provide me a list of all the contract buyouts that the isles have made in the last 10 years. You can also let me know how things are going for Minnesota with all their buyouts.
Isles didn’t sign any player to a contract comparable to Parise and Suters. Long contract high cap hit…not smart.

Say what you want about Lou he knows all about buying guys out, just look at the Kovalchuk contact. Low cap hit makes buyout or even a trade possible.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway

I'm not concerned with the other 12+ teams with bad contracts. I'm only concerned about the Islanders bad contracts and how they affect the moves Lamoriello can make.

If the answer is yes, maybe it will be worthwhile to waive a few of them if there's no trade partner out there.
Realistically, Martin would get picked up, but the rest are going nowhere because their contracts are untradeable unless you're taking a similarly bad contract in return. Signing Mayfield and Engvall to their deals are pretty bad business, because it's not that easy just buying them out. The Islanders will be on the hook for 14 years in doing so, even at a low AAV. But having a healthy scratch on a seven year contract is bad any which way you look at it.

This team is a bubble team, and on their last legs in being so too. It will require one hell of a clean up job after Lou is gone, and it will be bleak for a good number of years still.

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008

Lee is doing his job after a slow start

Pageau is hindsight, he has not been the same since his hand injury. At the time his contract was fair market value, and he filled a need. Can’t predict injuries

Martin’s contact can be buried. He’s done his job, a few hits a goal or two. What do you expect from a fourth line winger? I don’t think he’s the one putting himself on the ice late in games that’s the coach.

Palmeri is streaky another guy that filled a need at the time and came through in the playoff. He’s only got one more year left and can prob be moved next year if need be, but the question becomes who is his replacement?

I truly believe the issue with this team is coaching

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Lee is doing his job after a slow start

Pageau is hindsight, he has not been the same since his hand injury. At the time his contract was fair market value, and he filled a need. Can’t predict injuries

Martin’s contact can be buried. He’s done his job, a few hits a goal or two. What do you expect from a fourth line winger? I don’t think he’s the one putting himself on the ice late in games that’s the coach.

Palmeri is streaky another guy that filled a need at the time and came through in the playoff. He’s only got one more year left and can prob be moved next year if need be, but the question becomes who is his replacement?

I truly believe the issue with this team is coaching
But here we are today. Do we have the flexibility to make roster changes to boost our chances at the playoffs?

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
But here we are today. Do we have the flexibility to make roster changes to boost our chances at the playoffs?
What option did isles have? None of those players are taking one year deals. You gamble on long term deals. I dont think Pageau, Lee, and Palmeri deals are cap killers

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
IMO, they are close. They have many pieces in place - Dobson is a 1D, Sorokin is a top G and Vezina caliber goalie, Barzal and Horvat top line F’s, Nelson is a perfect 2C, strong RHD depth, shutdown D Pair, and a 3C…

And to illustrate my point, look at Vancouver - similar team with many nice pieces but last season was a MESS. Tocchet comes in and changes approach- focuses on process and now they are world beaters - you could not predict that last season.

Again, I was late to the fire Lane crowd - I think it is time - we could use the new coach bump, but I also think a new voice can get this team playig to their potential.
They also traded Horvat last year for futures and used that pick to trade for a top pairing dman. Lou should deal Nelson while his value is still very high. We cant afford to lose Nelson for nothing next season. We also need to get younger and signing a 34 year old Nelson will not help. We need to re stock the system while also trying to remain competitive and dealing Nelson could help

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
What option did isles have? None of those players are taking one year deals. You gamble on long term deals. I dont think Pageau, Lee, and Palmeri deals are cap killers
They are not cap killers as individual deals but they are still untradeable without retention or sending an asset away. The problem is with everyone locked into to overpaid deals it is hard to have any roster turnover

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Serious question, how many games have we blown in the 3rd this year? and lost in OT? i know some of it is normal and happens, but i figure we should have at least 8 more points, no?
Columbus is doing the same thing. The sign of a not-so-great team, to put it nicely.

Reactions: TeamKidd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad