Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

Status
Not open for further replies.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I was still holding out hope that Leddy would return, soft spot for him, but can't say I am surprised nothing was done today to sure up our deal.

Looking forward to seeing Engvall's first game with us tomorrow.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
If Lou had acquired Horvat and Engvall today, there would be celebration and praise.

I would say that these 2 deals should have happened before the season started or in the very beginning. Would have been interesting to see where we would have been if we had both with a healthy Brazal, Wally, Parms, etc.

Again, not one to mortgage future and I rather retool for next year anyway.

But food for thought. Lou regardless if you agree with his path to build a roster. He just waits way, way too long to make any moves (good or bad moves).

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I would say that these 2 deals should have happened before the season started or in the very beginning. Would have been interesting to see where we would have been if we had both with a healthy Brazal, Wally, Parms, etc.

Again, not one to mortgage future and I rather retool for next year anyway.

But food for thought. Lou regardless if you agree with his path to build a roster. He just waits way, way too long to make any moves (good or bad moves).
We don't know that those players were available before the season.

Reactions: 12Dog

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Ok, NYI, let’s get to work and start stringing some big wins together. Plenty of practice time this week. Come ready to win tomorrow Show us Lou, this team is ready

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Do Horvat and Engvall not count becuase they didn't happen AT the deadline?

You’re being obtuse. Other teams are getting better for fairly mild returns and those two trades for us alone, while they do signify us not being sellers, don’t exactly put us over the top enough to be a serious threat. All those two trades do without other smaller moves being made makes our deadline even more comfusing and makes us more of a team in limbo than we already are.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
You’re being obtuse. Other teams are getting better for fairly mild returns and those two trades for us alone, while they do signify us not being sellers, don’t exactly put us over the top enough to be a serious threat. All those two trades do without other smaller moves makes our deadline even more comfusing and makes us more of a team in limbo than we already are.
He acquired two players in their primes who fill needs in our lineup. Engvall is going to be signed cause Lou never rents a player. Isles will also have Pageau returning relatively soon, Barzal down line and sounded like Lambert was a bit optimistic about Clutterbuck even coming back. I’m surprised they didnt add a defenseman but now it’s about guys they have on left side, Aho, Wotherspoon, Bolduc and even Salo depending on how things go.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
You’re being obtuse. Other teams are getting better for fairly mild returns and those two trades for us alone, while they do signify us not being sellers, don’t exactly put us over the top enough to be a serious threat. All those two trades do without other smaller moves being made makes our deadline even more comfusing and makes us more of a team in limbo than we already are.
I'm just as confused, I hate half measures. Those deals signaled to me that Lou is going for it and the Isles would be full on buyers. Not acquiring an LHD better than Aho is perplexing to say the least.

But you said "no moves." Lou did make moves, one huge move and another smaller one to fill a hole. That's all.

135 degrees.

Reactions: MJF

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
No playoff contending team should have (our) Sebastian Aho on the ice, you can't convince me otherwise. Plenty of opportunities today or earlier in the week to upgrade there that were missed.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Ok fair on the first lane point.. can he lead this team to a cup? I think thats too early to say.

Thank you for acknowledging and addressing the specific point. Respect.

To further...Are you happy finding out if Lane is the guy, or would you have preferred Lou hiring an experienced coach?

I am not thrilled w the not having a 1st round pick for about 4 years now. But getting an NHL defenseman for a #13 overall isnt the worst thing thats happened. His upside is probably a 3/4 d man.

I guess this is where we disagree. I think trading the 13th overall pick for a defenseman who taps out as a 2nd pairing D-man, but is currently a mistake-prone bottom pairing one is about as bad as it gets - Especially when we're being told by the GM that the team you're adding him to is a Cup contender (and that team has zero farm system).

That #13 pick could've been used in so many smarter ways. I mean Kevin Fiala was traded for #19 overall and Brock Faber so the idea that we could've traded #13+ for him is a hell of a lot more appealing than Romanov - And that's taking into account his contract. I'm not even the biggest Fiala fan, but that's just one example. Bottom line, there were other options and better ways to use that asset, and especially now that we can see the Romanov is more problem than solution.

Reactions: BrockLobster

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
We don't know that those players were available before the season.

That's Lou's job though? To inquire, to made (find) a deal to help the team in the offseason. He never does, name a time he made a trade during the offseason?

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I'm just as confused, I hate half measures. Those deals signaled to me that Lou is going for it and the Isles would be full on buyers. Not acquiring an LHD better than Aho is perplexing to say the least.

But you said "no moves." Lou did make moves, one huge move and another smaller one to fill a hole. That's all.

135 degrees.
i'm told that "half measures avail us nothing"

That's Lou's job though? To inquire, to made (find) a deal to help the team in the offseason. He never does, name a time he made a trade during the offseason?
he got JT Miller until someone told the teacher and it ruined it

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
That #13 pick could've been used in so many smarter ways. I mean Kevin Fiala was traded for #19 overall and Brock Faber so the idea that we could've traded #13+ for him is a hell of a lot more appealing than Romanov - And that's taking into account his contract. I'm not even the biggest Fiala fan, but that's just one example. Bottom line, there were other options and better ways to use that asset, and especially now that we can see the Romanov is more problem than solution.

I wholeheartedly agree with you with this. Such a bad move by Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad