Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strickland

Mar 1, 2007
There’s nothing hard about what to do with Pulock. He has a full NTC.

that doesn't mean he can't be moved, just that he has to approve it. does he want to be a part of a retool/rebuild? it's not going to be easy to move him, but players get traded with full NTCs all the time. worst case, you hold onto him.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
that doesn't mean he can't be moved, just that he has to approve it. does he want to be a part of a retool/rebuild? it's not going to be easy to move him, but players get traded with full NTCs all the time. worst case, you hold onto him.
I can only think of one time it happened recently with a player with significant term, and he was very unhappy about it. In that case it at least was a cap casualty. In ours it’s just “oops we regret this one”.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
My Hypothetical TDL tear down -
1 - Varlamov to the Kings for Quick and 2023 2nd round pick
2 - Mayfield to the Golden Knights or Leafs for 2023 1st and 2024 2nd
3 - Nelson to Colorado for Newhook and '23 1st
4 - Bailey to Boston for Craig Smith and Mike Reilly
5 - Clutterbuck to Dallas for 2024 3rd round pick

Gives them cap space and draft capital to make moves in the offseason as well as capitalize on the upcoming draft classes of '23 and '24.

Last edited:

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Gives them cap space and draft capital to make moves in the offseason as well as capitalize on the upcoming draft classes of '23 and '24.

As much as I do not want to trade Nelson if they can get Newhook and a 1st? Sign me the f*** up.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
As much as I do not want to trade Nelson if they can get Newhook and a 1st? Sign me the f*** up.
Newhook+First would be fine, but if the Avalanche are getting desperate they might add in more. Again, take advantage of that. Real NHL fans know how clutch Nelson is in the playoffs.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

I think NYI should trade Mayfield, Varlamov, and Nelson. I don't think that Bailey, or Clutterbuck are moveable. Also, I'm not against retaining 1-1.5M on Nelson.

Once these decisions are made, NYI's so-called cap issues will imo work themselves out. Other than making good draft picks, the only major decision NYI should face this offseason is on Sorokin.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I think NYI should trade Mayfield, Varlamov, and Nelson. I don't think that Bailey, or Clutterbuck are moveable. Also, I'm not against retaining 1-1.5M on Nelson.

Once these decisions are made, NYI's so-called cap issues will imo work themselves out. Other than making good draft picks, the only major decision NYI should face this offseason is on Sorokin.
That’s clearly a rebuild and if you do it right you probably also pick up a bad contract or two over the next couple of years to acquire even more assets.

I’m not sure management is there yet.

Reactions: saintunspecified

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

I could see Varly going to a Pacific team since most are hanging by a thread with Hamburgerler goaltending: LAK, SEA, EDM.

He has a M-NTC so it’s really whether he wants to go, looking to resign, and how the Isles feel about Sorokin not having his buddy around.

I don’t see Quick being traded. While he’s toast, he is known as a key lockerroom guy for them. Doubt Blake tosses him aside.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
I was hesitant to jump aboard tbe rebuild train but i am finally there. I think brock is their best asset and should be moved. Unfortunately pulock has a NTC but id move him too.

ZP, beau, pags, mayfield, varly can all regain some assets.

Buy out bailey in the offseason.

Tank hard for bedard!

Reactions: Glorydays22

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I was hesitant to jump aboard tbe rebuild train but i am finally there. I think brock is their best asset and should be moved. Unfortunately pulock has a NTC but id move him too.

ZP, beau, pags, mayfield, varly can all regain some assets.

Buy out bailey in the offseason.

Tank hard for bedard!
You can only move up 10 spots in the lottery so you’d have to be no worse than the 11th worst team pointwise at year’s end. We are currently tied for 14th.

There are 6 teams that are 12 or more points behind us as of today. We’d have to really suck to get any lower than the 7th worst record. That’s unlikely and even then our chances of winning the lottery as the 7th seed are only 6.5% so we can all keep dreaming (unless we hire the Rags’ lottery ball expert).

Reactions: BrockLobster

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
You can only move up 10 spots in the lottery so you’d have to be no worse than the 11th worst team pointwise at year’s end. We are currently tied for 14th.

There are 6 teams that are 12 or more points behind us as of today. We’d have to really suck to get any lower than the 7th worst record. That’s unlikely and even then our chances of winning the lottery as the 7th seed are only 6.5% so we can all keep dreaming (unless we hire the Rags’ lottery ball expert).
Yeah we’d have to pay someone to grease our balls if we’re to have any shot

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh

So basically what you are saying is.....not only do we suck...but we suck at sucking.

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
So basically what you are saying is.....not only do we suck...but we suck at sucking.
Well said.

To be fair, we didn’t think we’d suck at the beginning of the season. Once it’s clear you’re not a contender then at some point it’s fish or cut bait.

Are you there yet Lou?

There are no moral victories or confidence building by finishing middle of the pack. The Jets won 2 of their last 3 games 2 years ago to finish second in the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes. That netted them Zach Wilson.

Reactions: CRYHAVOC

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Honestly, the only NYI capital that might have the makings of an NHL trade would mean trying to move LEE or Barzal. You just hope the guy making the deal knows what he’s doing

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Not only do we need to catch the pens, but we'll also need to stave off the sabres and red wings for the privilege of facing Boston in the first round. There are 21 games until the deadline. In order to not be sellers, the islanders will probably need to take down 8 of these 11 games:

1/14 Montreal
1/16 Washington
1/19 Buffalo (second game of back to back)
1/25 Ottawa
1/27 Detroit
2/6 Philadelphia
2/9 Vancouver
2/11 Montreal
2/14 Ottawa
2/17 Pittsburgh
2/20 Pittsburgh

The other 10 are against Boston (2x), Winnipeg (2x) Carolina, Toronto, Vegas, Seattle, Minnesota and Los Angeles - all of those are playoff teams, and half are against division leaders. Still would need to win half of these to be able to come out of that 21 game stretch at something like 13-6-2. That's likely about the pace we'll need to play at to feel like we have a firm grasp on a chance at a wild card spot. Anything less and we're likely on the outside looking in.

Since I've made this post they are 1-3-2. Since they lost to Buffalo and Washington, they'll need to win 8/9 of the remaining games at the top. They lost all three of the bottom games, so they'll need to go 5-2 in the rest of those. So basically, go from winning 1 of their last 10 to winning the next 13/16 to stay in the race. It's over.

Reactions: duster19

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Isles badly need a hungry natural goal scorer that can hunt, skate, shoot, and check.

UFA and trade will not work for a small market team. Draft in the top 11OA in a strong draft year is the only solution and can save on cap too. Talents like Mathews, Marners came that way. I think it is time Isles start to monitor closely the top 20 eligibles for this year's entry draft. If they get lucky they may land one of the top 3. bottom 1 to 6 may be out of reach, but 7 -11 are very likely, still with a slim chance to land a top 3. Just do not win any more games from the Flyers. Let them maybe win a couple. Metro is going to be tougher in 2 years, if Columbus luck out with the 1OA pick this year.

I am interested in the captain of Owen Sound. Go check out his overall play and potential. Any other top prospect worth mentioning? Do not just focus on Bedard, at this point.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Lou should resign and hand over the reins to a younger guy. The Lambert experiment hasn't worked out and the team still can't score. The have the most abysmal PP in the league and a roster filled with underperfoming vets on bad contracts. It's time to start anew.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Lambert absolutely is in over his head, but in the same respect Lou is not giving the guy the best roster to work with.

Firing Trotz was a massive mistake and if there is absolutely anyway to rectify that, but at this point… I just want Lou as far away from this team as possible.

Reactions: xECK29x
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad