Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
How many years have we all said the Pens, Caps, and Bruins are finally done? They're never done. That last Cup the Pens won everyone had written them off already. Success is not always linear. In the NHL it never is.
Those teams all have Hall of Fame talents on their rosters. None of those players have slowed down.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Those teams all have Hall of Fame talents on their rosters. None of those players have slowed down.

Please.... Go back and look at threads the last 1-5 years of all of these teams. Always a large percentage of them talking about how they look slower and their time is up.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
That's the scary part!

Agree with your assessment of NHL success not always being linear. So many components and variables come into play. I kinda like that part of it. Keeps the charm of human element and unpredictability in play. Makes it fun to watch and follow for me

The way I look at it is last season was a wash. Many felt last year that this team was a Cup contender before that wild start to the year. There was a VERY small percentage who did not feel that way (and it had nothing to do with a random COVID outbreak).

The team this year is starting to infuse young talent in. This may not be for immediate success this season in the playoffs but if Lou continues to have more drafts where he is focusing on skating and a complete game like Raty and Holmstrom this team will be fine for years to come.

Everyone destroyed Lou for selecting Holmstrom because he picked them over McMichael and Tomasino. It took two games for people to change their tune on Holmstrom.

Lou is not without his faults, but this team is going to make the playoffs again unless they collapse to end the year.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
The way I look at it is last season was a wash. Many felt last year that this team was a Cup contender before that wild start to the year. There was a VERY small percentage who did not feel that way (and it had nothing to do with a random COVID outbreak).

The team this year is starting to infuse young talent in. This may not be for immediate success this season in the playoffs but if Lou continues to have more drafts where he is focusing on skating and a complete game like Raty and Holmstrom this team will be fine for years to come.

Everyone destroyed Lou for selecting Holmstrom because he picked them over McMichael and Tomasino. It took two games for people to change their tune on Holmstrom.

Lou is not without his faults, but this team is going to make the playoffs again unless they collapse to end the year.
Isles were Cup favorites in many circles entering last season.

I still think it's 50/50 getting in this year. My latest concern in that Varly wasn't skating as of a few days ago (haven't seen any update). Sorokin will wear down eventually

It will be tough but I've always said Pens are soft and last night reinforced that belief. That might be our ticket in

I love what I've seen of Raty so far. I think he can be an impact player.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Please.... Go back and look at threads the last 1-5 years of all of these teams. Always a large percentage of them talking about how they look slower and their time is up.
The threads say they slowed down? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Has Ovechkin slowed down? I can make a case he’s gotten better with age. Has Bergeron slowed? His biggest problem has been staying healthy but when he’s playing he’s the best player on the Bruins most nights

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
The threads say they slowed down? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Has Ovechkin slowed down? I can make a case he’s gotten better with age. Has Bergeron slowed? His biggest problem has been staying healthy but when he’s playing he’s the best player on the Bruins most nights

This is such revisionist history. I will bite though.

Here is a link that has Bruins barely making it in as the wildcard and Caps missing entirely. I am not sure any of these have all three teams making it this year:

Again this one has this Bruins (and Caps) BARELY making it in: The 2022-23 NHL standings as predicted by oddsmakers | Offside

These were the first two links I found. Maybe we have different definitions of the words slowed down but to me this means they are going from a contender to barely making the playoffs/missing entirely. Which is exactly what you see in many projections.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Here is a link that has Bruins barely making it in as the wildcard and Caps missing entirely. I am not sure any of these have all three teams making it this year:

Again this one has this Bruins (and Caps) BARELY making it in: The 2022-23 NHL standings as predicted by oddsmakers | Offside

These were the first two links I found. Maybe we have different definitions of the words slowed down but to me this means they are going from a contender to barely making the playoffs/missing entirely. Which is exactly what you see in many

These were the first two links I found. Maybe we have different definitions of the words slowed down but to me this means they are going from a contender to barely making the playoffs/missing entirely. Which is exactly what you see in many projections.
Maybe you’re getting confused between a team slowing down and a player slowing down. I said that those teams each have hall of fame talents on their rosters. Players like Ovi and Bergeron, when healthy, still have the ability affect the game.

I don’t know if these teams will make the playoffs or not. It seems likely that the Bruins and Penguins will. The fact that they have generational players like those I mentioned, as well as Crosby and Marchand, guys who can do it in a big spot and have won championships before certainly gives them an intangible that we don’t have.

And can we please get a cancel button here ffs?

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Talking about teams that you think are going to slow down and then they don't... the Bruins last year traded a 1st round pick, two 2nd round picks and two prospects for 27 year old Hampus Lindholm. I'm sure there were Bruins fans who questioned the wisdom of that move.

The Bruins signed him to an 8 year contract extension. He's leading the team in TOI and plus/minus this year, has 25 points in 34 games, and has been a true 1st pairing defenseman (the kind you hope to get with a 1st round pick). Just saying.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
With Palmieri and Bailey on the books for next season, any deal Isles make will need for one these players to go the other way.

I don’t see a trade situation outside of Patrick Kane that has any team taking back Josh Bailey. Van won’t take back any cap for Horvat and neither will The Blues.

palmieri has a full NTC, so any deal for him will have to be in the off-season.

It will be difficult to move these 2 in the off-season BUT …

I can imagine trades for Bailey with similar cap and $ hits coming back the other way- say a deal for Mrazek, where then the Isles buy him out or say for Blackwell and maybe Isles add an asset.

Palmieri would have to be for someone with a worse or similar cap hit - say Palmieri for Hayes or Boeser.

Or even crazier package both of them for EK with like a 2-2.5m retention.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
When healthy:

Pelech - Dobson
Wotherspoon - Pulock
Romanov - Mayfield

Hard agree - no offense to Aho, he’s obviously made strides this season. But Wotherspoon and Pulock just seem to compliment each other really well, and Pelech might have an easier time cleaning up some of Dobson’s mistakes than Romanov has. But if Wotherspoon is here to stay (yes I know it’s been 2 games) what does that mean for Bolduc and Salo?

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Hard agree - no offense to Aho, he’s obviously made strides this season. But Wotherspoon and Pulock just seem to compliment each other really well, and Pelech might have an easier time cleaning up some of Dobson’s mistakes than Romanov has. But if Wotherspoon is here to stay (yes I know it’s been 2 games) what does that mean for Bolduc and Salo?
It means Salo is a bag of dung no matter who else is here or not

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Bolduc has the highest ceiling of all three in my opinion, but needs more seasoning.

Salo has never impressed me personally and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in another organization next season (a la Bellows).

Just based off of his style, Wotherspoon has the chance to make a case to be a nice 6/7D depending on how things shake out with Mayfield. He definitely fits in that depth role better than Aho based on his quieter, less risk based style of play.

Reactions: Tahoeblue

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Geez, another concussion possibly?

After he tumbled over that guy in the corner, another guy came and assaulted him in front of the ref with the obligatory no call of course. I'd have to see the replay but Ollie was down and basically defenseless and vulnerable when the 2nd guy roughed him up. Not sure if he hit his head after the initial check and fall or when the 2nd guy got involved. Sorry don't remember the players involved

It befuddles me that Cizikas got tossed and punished for accidentally running into the goalie but this happened in front of ref with not even a whistle.

Hope Wally is OK

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
After he tumbled over that guy in the corner, another guy came and assaulted him in front of the ref with the obligatory no call of course. I'd have to see the replay but Ollie was down and basically defenseless and vulnerable when the 2nd guy roughed him up. Not sure if he hit his head after the initial check and fall or when the 2nd guy got involved. Sorry don't remember the players involved

It befuddles me that Cizikas got tossed and punished for accidentally running into the goalie but this happened in front of ref with not even a whistle.

Hope Wally is OK
Can't imagine the follow up did anything. That happens ten times a game. The original hit was brutal. Guy fell just as Wahlstrom was lining him up. That all happened so fast and was a high speed impact. Had to have been it. Just unlucky the guy lost his balance. I actually think Wally hurt himself more trying not to slam the falling guy into the ice.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Can't imagine the follow up did anything. That happens ten times a game. The original hit was brutal. Guy fell just as Wahlstrom was lining him up. That all happened so fast and was a high speed impact. Had to have been it. Just unlucky the guy lost his balance. I actually think Wally hurt himself more trying not to slam the falling guy into the ice.
Probably right. I just thought the 2nd guy was excessive especially since Wally was in no position to defend himself

Seems Wally is often a marked man out there. Wonder if he's playing dirty

SI

Feb 16, 2013
You can't tell me that other teams aren't taking liberties with the Islanders knowing that they really don't hold their opponents accountable.

Somebody should remind Lambert and Anders Lee that the game is still played "that way."
What are you talking about?

Wahlstrom ran that dude over - the third man jumped to stand up for his guy NOT because Isles don’t protect their own.

Still ain’t no harder team to play against than this team

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
What are you talking about?

Wahlstrom ran that dude over - the third man jumped to stand up for his guy NOT because Isles don’t protect their own.

Still ain’t no harder team to play against than this team
Wahlstrom had it coming to him? Just an unfortunate injury for Wahlstrom for laying a clean hit on Joseph, I guess.

Pelech concussed by Bortuzzo. Isles have no response.
Palmieri concussed by Ritchie. Isles have no response.
Bennett with a cheap shot kneeing on Holmstrom. Isles have no response.
Now Wahlstrom's unfortunate consequence.

Believe me, players on other teams notice when the Islanders don't have their teammates' backs. They will lay in a little heavier on them because they don't have to worry about answering the bell for it later. Don't be surprised if the Isles injuries continue.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
You can't tell me that other teams aren't taking liberties with the Islanders knowing that they really don't hold their opponents accountable.

Somebody should remind Lambert and Anders Lee that the game is still played "that way."
Time to get Johnston a game or two.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Just another reason to hate this schedule. More games against teams like the Blues out West, but not necessarily time to get retribution depending on game flow and the need for points, with so much parity.

It really limits your opportunity to get on ice justice, since we know the refs aren't giving the Isles the benefit of the doubt with the right call.

Reactions: MJF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad