Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Not to beat a dead horse but last night Aho was getting beat coming back to his end by Rackell. Aho will get outskated coming back because he pinches in so often. Then there are the physical mismatches when Aho has to box out an opponent in front of Sorokin. I appreciate how good Aho is at getting the puck up ice but the weaknesses are still there.

Aho is going to be 27 years old in February. This isn’t a story of a kid who Trotz wouldn’t give a chance to. This is a guy who has enough deficiencies in his game that can’t be “coached up”. He’s a 6-7 defenseman on any contending team and maybe in the starting 6 on a team that is not competing for anything. Get a useful asset for Aho. He’s not a foundation piece here.
Still think he’s gonna grab a guy like Schenn or depending on the ask price Klingberg.

Btw, has anyone noticed WAS has 11 UFAs and 90% of their D are UFAs?

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Not to beat a dead horse but last night Aho was getting beat coming back to his end by Rackell. Aho will get outskated coming back because he pinches in so often. Then there are the physical mismatches when Aho has to box out an opponent in front of Sorokin. I appreciate how good Aho is at getting the puck up ice but the weaknesses are still there.

Aho is going to be 27 years old in February. This isn’t a story of a kid who Trotz wouldn’t give a chance to. This is a guy who has enough deficiencies in his game that can’t be “coached up”. He’s a 6-7 defenseman on any contending team and maybe in the starting 6 on a team that is not competing for anything. Get a useful asset for Aho. He’s not a foundation piece here.
I'm hoping that Aho is pulling enough fancy stats to appeal to a rebuilding (or retooling since you swing that way :sarcasm:) team, to take him as an add-in.

For example... 1st round pick, Substantial Prospect, Aho (youngish vet) and Bailey (useful vet leader with low salary, high cap dump) for a top six forward or defensemen

Last edited:
Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Lets give it 10 games. AHO has come a long way in a short amount of games. I'm AHO's biggest fan, but his first 5-10 games were super bad and has progressed well considering. It's hard to learn all that in a few games. He's way better along the boards...ties his man up...The one thing I noticed is that he's scared to block shots and I think that's why he leaves too much room around the front of the net...he'll wince when a shot comes instead of standing pat and taking his man. He's also an offensive defencement, but Lambert insists on putting him in defensive situations....I am assuming to give him a crash course in defending.

I also think the goal is to give AHO his 200 games as it takes a number of games for Dmen to show themselves. AHO is like at 65 or something, which probably explains his 2 year contract.

As for Wotherspoon...I think he's doing ok because he dumbed down his game. I'm still waiting...if he shows a bit of a snarl...we got our next Mayfield. (maybe). Then we can trade Mayfield of a pile of gold, then resign him back if he will do it on a discount. We also have to see how Wotherspoon handles more minutes. It took years before Mayfield could play more than 15/16 minutes a game without fking up.

We just have to show patience...if we don't..who knows...we could lose the next Tage Thompson...:cool:..

FYI...how many times have we said...bring them up..let them make mistakes at the NHL level..theirs nothing left to learn in the AHL....Well rookies are gonna make mistakes. Just chill.
I’m sorry. I just don’t think guys like Aho and Wotherspoon are late bloomers who needed a chance.

I'm hoping that Aho is pulling enough fancy stats to appeal to a rebuilding (or retooling since you swing that way :sarcasm:) team, to take him as an add-in.

For example... 1st round pick, Substantial Prospect, Aho (youngish vet) and Bailey (useful vet leader with low salary, high cap dump) for a top six forward or defensemen
You have me mixed up with someone else. I swing the other way.

I’m not trading a 1st round pick this year or next. I would trade Aho as a stand alone piece and look to bring back a younger prospect or a 2nd round pick.

I also don’t think Bailey has any interest to any other organization except a cap floor team.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12Dog and CRYHAVOC

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Just don't trade Raty, please Lou? I'm already sad that our 2023 1st rounder is most likely good as gone.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I’m sorry. I just don’t think guys like Aho and Wotherspoon are late bloomers who needed a chance.

You have me mixed up with someone else. I swing the other way.

I’m not trading a 1st round pick this year or next. I would trade Aho as a stand alone piece and look to bring back a younger prospect or a 2nd round pick.

I also don’t think Bailey has any interest to any other organization except a cap floor team.
I was just goofing on last year’s rebuild vs retool discussions.

However, If the Isles are in a playoff position and showing promising play… I think it’s a foregone conclusion that the first round (with stipulations) is moved.

Isles aren’t banking this cap space for nothing. I’m hoping that if they do give up substantial futures that it includes some contract glut the other way and a reasonably young core piece returning.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Because Ledecky has made it clear he wants to win. It isn’t just a business to him. If they miss the playoffs two years in a row and Lou did nothing of significance… I can’t imagine Ledecky is happy with that
Forgot to follow up initially. I don’t disagree with your reasoning. Just years as a hockey fan and Isles fan has taught me not to accept much as a certainty.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Isles aren’t banking this cap space for nothing. I’m hoping that if they do give up substantial futures that it includes some contract glut the other way and a reasonably young core piece returning.
You’re probably right about this. I just think with this roster Lou will be chasing Fool’s Gold. I don’t think he can load up enough of this team without robbing from Peter to pay Paul.

Reactions: Taswell

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
You’re probably right about this. I just think with this roster Lou will be chasing Fool’s Gold. I don’t think he can load up enough of this team without robbing from Peter to pay Paul.
The problem is, what's more of a risk - doing something, or doing nothing?

I mean, in some ways I'd rather NYI commits to either buying or selling. I don't see the trajectory of the roster going up. If NYI don't take a shot now, isn't it better to sell?

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

I mean, in some ways I'd rather NYI commits to either buying or selling. I don't see the trajectory of the roster going up. If NYI don't take a shot now, isn't it better to sell?
There’s nothing worse than being a middle of the pack team. Not good enough to be a serious threat to win the Cup, not bad enough to tank for the most ping pong balls.

I agree with you about the trajectory of this roster. It was the same last year at the TDL. Lou should have been a seller then.

Reactions: CRYHAVOC

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

The thing with re-building is that you can do it at any time. Trying to win can only happen if you have a decent team in place. I think Lamoriello will milk this team of every chance it has to win now.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
The thing with re-building is that you can do it at any time. Trying to win can only happen if you have a decent team in place. I think Lamoriello will milk this team of every chance it has to win now.

Rightfully so. Look at the Braves when they won the World Series. 90% of posters here would have said to sell after they lost their MVP in Acuna. Instead they decided to buy and they won a World Series.

Same argument can be made when Lou bought with Lee out for the year. This team went on an insane run to the Conference Finals. I personally would not have bought that year but they were good enough to win the Cup.

As long as Lou continues to have draft picks like Dufour, Raty, Bolduc, Maggio, etc in the later rounds they can milk this a bit longer. You don't waste the prime years of a top five goaltender in the NHL. That much I know for damn sure.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
There’s nothing worse than being a middle of the pack team. Not good enough to be a serious threat to win the Cup, not bad enough to tank for the most ping pong balls.

I agree with you about the trajectory of this roster. It was the same last year at the TDL. Lou should have been a seller then.
As an Isles fan my entire life - There are plenty of things that I can think of that is a lot worse.
I have a full library of what this franchise has experienced that is so much worse than simply being mediocre.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Bailey
Beauvillier
Clutterbuck
Fasching
Holmstrom
Palmieri
Wahlstrom

and now apparently Cizikas and even Nelson

are all capable of playing RW

I’m thinking a trade is in order to package some of that depth for one quality piece. For me, it’s Beauvillier and Wahlstrom and Palmieri in the offseason.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

Why not?
There is still much more upside than downside - this is not the Caps, Bruins, or Penguins.
There are players here, who we have yet to see their best hockey - hell Dobson hasn't turned 23 yet.

I think if they do nothing at the deadline - it doesn't mean catastrophe next season when there is a better chance to move some salary out and add pieces that can contribute to the core. As well as adding 2023 1st and 2nd that will only improve this team's meagre prospect pool.

Bailey
Beauvillier
Clutterbuck
Fasching
Holmstrom
Palmieri
Wahlstrom

and now apparently Cizikas and even Nelson

are all capable of playing RW

I’m thinking a trade is in order to package some of that depth for one quality piece. For me, it’s Beauvillier and Wahlstrom and Palmieri in the offseason.
The Cap makes it difficult - we won't see major moves until February when teams have accrued more cap space... and even then I don't imagine the Isles doing much.

Last edited:

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Why not?
There is still much more upside than downside - this is not the Caps, Bruins, or Penguins.
There are players here, who we have yet to see their best hockey - hell Dobson hasn't turned 23 yet.

I think if they do nothing at the deadline - it doesn't mean catastrophe next season when there is a better chance to move some salary out and add pieces that can contribute to the core.

The Cap makes it difficult - we won't see major moves until February when teams have accrued more cap space... and even then I don't imagine the Isles doing much.

How many years have we all said the Pens, Caps, and Bruins are finally done? They're never done. That last Cup the Pens won everyone had written them off already. Success is not always linear. In the NHL it never is.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
How many years have we all said the Pens, Caps, and Bruins are finally done? They're never done. That last Cup the Pens won everyone had written them off already. Success is not always linear. In the NHL it never is.
For a while though to start the season, was lookin like maybe it was finally true for the caps and pens.

Why isn't there a delete button?
much needed. And, if there’s gonna be a like button, there should be a dislike button. That’s what’s wrong with social media, no dislike button.

Reactions: SI

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I'm fairly certain you shall get your wish.
I hope he goes for it because he should. Look around at the East, it’s the better conference, but the goaltending and d are weak. The west is weak overall. This postseason should resemble last seasons and that was kinda an awful showing of d and g. Isles can and should thrive in that situation.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Forgot to follow up initially. I don’t disagree with your reasoning. Just years as a hockey fan and Isles fan has taught me not to accept much as a certainty.
Trust me I hear ya. Still holding out hope that Lou will be able get this team a winger and solidify a playoff spot and make a push for another deep run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad