Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Why are we not hearing anything about pelech? Usually conclusions are 1 or 2 games or they end up being 40 to 200 games. Or thats what it seems like with the hockey I've watched anyway. Are they going to trade for someone or just use AHO?
- They've collected points in four of the six games that Pelech has been out

- 4/6 of the teams they played (BOS/CAR/COL/VGK) are legitimate Cup contenders

- NJD have been one of the best regular season teams

- 5/6 games have been on the road

- They've accomplished this with Aho/Holmstrom/Facshing/Salo as lineup regulars.

I think all things considered, this team has shown they can bend but aren't ready to break, yet. Things are pointing towards the potential to make a nice run after the holiday freeze in Jan/Feb when the team is presumably more healthy (Clutterbuck, Palmieri, Pelech, Varlamov back).

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
With all of that said, NYI probably could have traded for Kulikov for free or even acquired an asset with him (current contract is one year remaining. 2.250M per cap hit) and received the same, if not better performance than Romanov.

Lou fell in love with Romanov's character, his willingness to throw Scott Stevens-esque bodychecks, and the potential that he probably thought he had based on their stale scouting notes from a few years ago. So far, that trade has been a bust especially when you consider that you he moved a top 15 pick when Kulikov was moved for Future Considerations and is arguably the better defender right now.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
With all of that said, NYI probably could have traded for Kulikov for free or even acquired an asset with him (current contract is one year remaining. 2.250M per cap hit) and received the same, if not better performance than Romanov.

Lou fell in love with Romanov's character, his willingness to throw Scott Stevens-esque bodychecks, and the potential that he probably thought he had based on their stale scouting notes from a few years ago. So far, that trade has been a bust especially when you consider that you he moved a top 15 pick when Kulikov was moved for Future Considerations and is arguably the better defender right now.

Kulikov is 32 and has no upside, Romanov has a lot of upside still. I think he'll round out over time. The problem he has is that he doesn't actually realize how talented he is and how good he can be if he just toned down the erraticism in his play.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

- They've accomplished this with Aho/Holmstrom/Facshing/Salo as lineup regulars.

I think all things considered, this team has shown they can bend but aren't ready to break, yet. Things are pointing towards the potential to make a nice run after the holiday freeze in Jan/Feb when the team is presumably more healthy (Clutterbuck, Palmieri, Pelech, Varlamov back).
Clutterbuck? Really bro? The guy's made of glass.

Reactions: The Real JT

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Kulikov is 32 and has no upside, Romanov has a lot of upside still. I think he'll round out over time. The problem he has is that he doesn't actually realize how talented he is and how good he can be if he just toned down the erraticism in his play.
The vibe I've been getting on Romanov's play with the Islanders is "why doesn't he score?" I believe that thought from posters here and other social media sites has colored everyone's judgement on a guy who has been a pretty solid defender for us. I think there's more upside to come from Romanov.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
The vibe I've been getting on Romanov's play with the Islanders is "why doesn't he score?" I believe that thought from posters here and other social media sites has colored everyone's judgement on a guy who has been a pretty solid defender for us. I think there's more upside to come from Romanov.

The impatience of Isles fans, especially some of the Twitter idiots, is amazing.

For all of the people who still pine over the loss of Toews, they fail to realize that Romanov jumped right into the NHL with the Canadians (who had some serious issues those last couple seasons), while Toews was chasing coeds around Quinnipiac University at the same age.

Now I am not suggesting Romanov is going to have the same offensive jump that Toews did, but he is playing in the NHL, learning a new system with the Isles and still improving at 22, going on 23 years of age.

Toews started out and spent parts of several seasons with Bridgeport learning the pro game and getting strong enough to compete. Toews was essentially 25-years old when he established himself as an every-day player with the Isles.

It would be nice to give Romanov just a little time to get comfortable. Some of the Twitter crying is just loathsome.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The impatience of Isles fans, especially some of the Twitter idiots, is amazing.

For all of the people who still pine over the loss of Toews, they fail to realize that Romanov jumped right into the NHL with the Canadians (who had some serious issues those last couple seasons), while Toews was chasing coeds around Quinnipiac University at the same age.

Now I am not suggesting Romanov is going to have the same offensive jump that Toews did, but he is playing in the NHL, learning a new system with the Isles and still improving at 22, going on 23 years of age.

Toews started out and spent parts of several seasons with Bridgeport learning the pro game and getting strong enough to compete. Toews was essentially 25-years old when he established himself as an every-day player with the Isles.

It would be nice to give Romanov just a little time to get comfortable. Some of the Twitter crying is just loathsome.
When I read things like "the Canadiens knew Romanov sucked that's why they gave up on him so soon" is laughable. They are a defensive wreck, and I don't think Martin St Louis is going to be able to fix it.

Reactions: danteipp

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Team just earned points on the road against the top team in the east, the top team in the west, and the defending champs. Sky is not falling.
Yet, if ice capades shot the puck at the goalie in both OTs two games would be Wins and two additional points. Yet, the team and a lot of its fans are accepting of it.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Romanov needs time, just like the whole team needs to time to truly settle into a new system. Defence is looking worse because they chip in offensively. In time, I guess they'll find middle ground and maybe a guy like Romanov turns out to be more of defensive defender.

Reactions: xECK29x

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

I would have an offensive jump if I played alongside Cale Makar

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

It’s all about the theme of ‘offense’ and ‘look at Toews’ and ‘I want my elite winger’ nonsense.

He’s a good player, he’s young and developing, and all Lou did was fill a hole and accelerate a draft pick by 4 years.

Volek25

Apr 23, 2007
St. Louis, MO
I would have an offensive jump if I played alongside Cale Makar
Makar, Mackinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Kadri (at the time), Nichuskin - helps to have a pretty stacked offensive driven team, so yea, for a very capable Toews, his numbers are going to jump. Put Dobson with that group and you'll see the same jump or greater.

Romanov was not brought in to pile up points.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
It’s all about the theme of ‘offense’ and ‘look at Toews’ and ‘I want my elite winger’ nonsense.

He’s a good player, he’s young and developing, and all Lou did was fill a hole and accelerate a draft pick by 4 years.

It is funny how those that scream the loudest and pound the table on stats, seemingly have no clue on how development occurs and takes time.

It feels like they just want players to be drafted and arrive fully developed.

Zero regard for the physical changes that need to happen (especially strength, conditioning and nutrition), which occurs differently and organically for every player, learning new systems, adjusting to the speed of the pro game, withstanding the grind of an NHL season, etc.

Romanov is strong and can skate. He has the basic tools and is at 166 NHL games played right now. I have the feeling that when he hits 250-300 GP, we will see an uptick in quality play.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
It is funny how those that scream the loudest and pound the table on stats, seemingly have no clue on how development occurs and takes time.

Zero regard for the physical changes that need to happen (especially strength, conditioning and nutrition), which occurs differently and organically for every player, learning new systems, adjusting to the speed of the pro game, withstanding the grind of an NHL season, etc.

Romanov is strong and can skate. He has the basic tools and is at 166 NHL games played right now. I have the feeling that when he hits 250-300 GP, we will see an uptick in quality play.
Frankly, I'm seeing it since Pelech got hurt.

Romanov, Salo and Aho as your LD currently and he's averaging nearly 23 minutes per game in the last 6. He's facing the better lines too. 5 of those 6 on the road versus tough teams. He's stepped up.

Reactions: TMI and danteipp

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Bailey has pretty much played himself off the team. Whether it’s by trade with an asset attached, benching, offseason buyout or waivers I don’t see him here next year.

Beau has been disappointing to a slightly lesser degree but if Bailey is moved then I think they hold onto Beau. Beau has minimal market value and if he turns it around just a little, he’ll be way easier to deal in the offseason.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

The only thing he does that I don't like is there are times when he just throws the puck up the wall when he doesn't have to. If he cuts back on that and uses his feet a bit more he'll be in great shape.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Bailey has pretty much played himself off the team. Whether it’s by trade with an asset attached, benching, offseason buyout or waivers I don’t see him here next year.

Beau has been disappointing to a slightly lesser degree but if Bailey is moved then I think they hold onto Beau. Beau has minimal market value and if he turns it around just a little, he’ll be way easier to deal in the offseason.

You keep Beauvillier unless he's part of a trade for an upgrade. Bailey is the piece that needs to be moved.

If he makes it to the end of the season and he's going to be traded, I wouldn't be shocked if he hung them up.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site

Based on Stats as of December 16
NHL Injury Data Summary: The Washington Capitals (227 man-games lost) and Toronto Maple Leafs (224) have the most man-games lost in the NHL. On the other end of the scale the New York Rangers (23) and New York Islanders (24)..

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Based on Stats as of December 16
NHL Injury Data Summary: The Washington Capitals (227 man-games lost) and Toronto Maple Leafs (224) have the most man-games lost in the NHL. On the other end of the scale the New York Rangers (23) and New York Islanders (24)..

Depends who the men are and how the rosters are constructed to figure out impact. Also, knowing a player isn't going to be with your team to start the season is a lot different than losing them in the middle of the year.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Do not agree. This team needs all the young, productive talent it can muster. Unless we can bring back a young, controllable, productive player (not a rental)...I keep them to see what they can do.

Clutterbuck? Really bro? The guy's made of glass.
Expecting Clutter to play the majority of the season and next was always a fool’s errand.

Varly has barely been out and his absence can’t be used an excuse for the games that Sorokin has faltered. That’s on Sorokin.

I’ll reluctantly admit that we’ve missed Palmieri far more than I expected.

Aside from Pelech, absences like the ones I referenced shouldn’t affect a team with Cup aspirations.

Reactions: MJF

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Now gets to play a rival on the road that has won 7 in a row.
And in building we have won 15 of last 20 games in. I really think this is issue with a lot of our fanbase. We are not a “sexy” team, we arent fast or skilled save a few players but deep down this is team that grinds. They seem to always bounce back when it looks like it’s all falling apart(save last years Covid issues) but seemingly it’s not appreciated by the fanbase. They need upgrade on skill in top six, we all know this and that’s on Lou to get done or they aren’t going on any deep runs but right now they are right in mix with bunch of teams in East that right now never seem to lose any games.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I'd like to try renting Kuzmenko and see where that goes. I'm losing confidence in Wally.

Oh..just heard on 32 thoughts that a "top team" was offered a trade from the Sabres...Thompson for a 5th rounder the season before his breakout year. Apparently they are kicking themselves in the ass sooo hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad