Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
He has a guaranteed $750K contract to play a sport (sometimes).

Walk away? I think not. Same goes for Bailey next year and his salary is way higher.

He’s already earned more than $51M in his career, he’s not a lower end guy fighting off his last days to make coin before reality sets in. He’s 36, countless injuries, etc. He’s not a vanilla forward that can hang around. Even Andy Greene and Zajac had more earning potential, but walked while playing the NHL. Bailey has also earned more than $45M in his career…ha!

He’ll get paid ~500k as a coach out of the gate, 250-500k as a commentator. His $750k isn’t that big of bridge in the grand scheme of things.
I think we can agree that he’s not getting an NHL head coaching job anytime soon. Although it’s possible, it’s far from a sure thing that he would get an assistant coach job in the NHL. More likely he would be a candidate for an AHL coaching job that will not pay anywhere near what you quoted.

In any event, I find it hard to imagine anyone giving up $750,000 a year while they are still a relatively young man just so they can avoid the agony of riding a bus for a few hours with a bunch of their buddies.

Sign me up for that.

Reactions: danteipp

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I think we can agree that he’s not getting an NHL head coaching job anytime soon. Although it’s possible, it’s far from a sure thing that he would get an assistant coach job in the NHL. More likely he would be a candidate for an AHL coaching job that will not pay anywhere near what you quoted.

In any event, I find it hard to imagine anyone giving up $750,000 a year while they are still a relatively young man just so they can avoid the agony of riding a bus for a few hours with a bunch of their buddies.

Sign me up for that.
As someone who watches all the Bridgeport games he can play in NHL, he’s healthy and has played like NHL goalie in AHL this year. Skarek has struggled at times but Schneider has been outstanding consistently. He could be a backup for half teams in NHL I believe but it’s nice he likes to be our number three which god forbid we ever need to use but we definitely have best number three out there for sure.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

Sign me up for that.
He seems like he’s doing it bc he wants to do it, not because he’s forced to do it. He’s overcome the injuries and mental part of playing in the AHL. Maybe it works bc he’s from the area vs doing while playing in TX, WI, or CA. Dubnyk is 36 with $34M in earnings and moved on. Some guys don’t want to ride the bus after the NHL. Sure, Wade Redden did bc that was his livelihood to get paid that money.

750k has different meanings to different people.

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
He seems like he’s doing it bc he wants to do it, not because he’s forced to do it. Maybe it works bc he’s from the area….Some guys don’t want to ride the bus after the NHL. Sure, Wade Redden did bc that was his livelihood to get paid that money.
750k has different meanings to different people.
I hereby fire you as my accountant and money manager.

Reactions: mm11

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
750k to guy with $50M in earnings is nothing, unless you have a gambling habit, bad investments, divorce (s), and/or mistresses…
One last comment. $50M ain’t what it used to be. You forgot to factor in taxes, agent commissions, hookers, etc.

Last edited:

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
You call it fear, but more likely it's experience to know that he won't answer the hard questions anyway, so why bother putting yourself in a bad position with no pay off other than a bunch of Islander fans lauding your bravery. They are a in a spot where they have to play politics.

You can hear the trepidation in their voices though. It's actually the most amusing piece of his interviews.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
750k to guy with $50M in earnings is nothing, unless you have a gambling habit, bad investments, divorce (s), and/or mistresses…
$750k salary is one more year that he can delay tapping into the retirement accounts. So it's a lot more than $750k.

Reactions: WangMustGo

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Houston, we have a problem. We’re all kinds of hurt now.

We are becoming Concussion City

Pretty clear that Palmieri and Pelech are suffering this after seeing the shots they took. Clutter took the head shot and might well have symptoms. Casey's exit certainly looked like it.

This could have a silver lining though. Raty could get a game and show as well as Holmstrom. Wotherspoon could get a game.

Wotherspoon has been buried on the depth chart so he should be gung-ho if he gets a chance.

The team might also play a little looser mentally with the injuries.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
We are becoming Concussion City

Pretty clear that Palmieri and Pelech are suffering this after seeing the shots they took. Clutter took the head shot and might well have symptoms. Casey's exit certainly looked like it.

This could have a silver lining though. Raty could get a game and show as well as Holmstrom. Wotherspoon could get a game.

Wotherspoon has been buried on the depth chart so he should be gung-ho if he gets a chance.

The team might also play a little looser mentally with the injuries.
When Casey went down in a heap after hitting the boards I was surprised the concussion spotter didn’t have him leave right away.

I think I’d enjoy a line of Martin-Raty-Fasching tonight. Raty sometimes has an edge to his game. They could be fun to watch.

JPIsles18

Jul 12, 2022
The impatience of Isles fans, especially some of the Twitter idiots, is amazing.

For all of the people who still pine over the loss of Toews, they fail to realize that Romanov jumped right into the NHL with the Canadians (who had some serious issues those last couple seasons), while Toews was chasing coeds around Quinnipiac University at the same age.

Now I am not suggesting Romanov is going to have the same offensive jump that Toews did, but he is playing in the NHL, learning a new system with the Isles and still improving at 22, going on 23 years of age.

Toews started out and spent parts of several seasons with Bridgeport learning the pro game and getting strong enough to compete. Toews was essentially 25-years old when he established himself as an every-day player with the Isles.

It would be nice to give Romanov just a little time to get comfortable. Some of the Twitter crying is just loathsome.
The issue with Romanov is not Romanov. The issue was the cost to acquire him by a team with very little assets. At present time, Romanov is replacement level, and likely worse. He constantly misses assignments in his own end, and is a negative in the offensive zone. He hits, and from time to time can competently get out of the zone. This Islander team has a very small window in my opinion. They have an aging core. A first round pick could have been used to add a forward. A first round pick could've been used to move out salary and make a run at JG. A first round pick is a legitimate asset. I, personally don't see what you see in Romanov. I don't think his hockey sense is up to snuff. He is extremely raw and is learning a new system. However, I see a defenseman who is slow to react to passes, takes bad angles on 2 on 1s, turns the puck over often, and does not provide offense. Obviously, he can improve and I'm counting on it. But he's a negative asset out there right now on a team starving for some element of NHL talent. At the moment, he's a fringe NHLer. He'd be a 7th defensemen on a true Stanley cup contender. He's been that bad.

JPIsles18

Jul 12, 2022
Just because you like advanced stats doesn't mean it's right.
I like data. I especially like it when the eye test matches the data. You don't have to like data, and that's fine. But ignoring it because you don't find it 100% predictive is silly. There are a lot of factors that go into building a successful team. You have 32 teams wanting to win (for the most part). Every piece of data can be used to your advantage. Broadly speaking, teams that produce more scoring chances compared to the opposition tend to be good. Like I said before, if that concept doesn't resonate with you, nobody can ever convince you otherwise.

As for the "advanced analytics" not liking the isles in the past. That's false. Like I said in the post, the Isles were very good two seasons ago. They out chanced the opposition regularly and got good goaltending. That was reflected in the stats. Cup winners of the past decade have all been above the 50% xGF entering the postseason. The Isles currently sit at 46.6%.

Also, if you want to look at predictive stats. The stat that is most predictive for postseason success is xGA. Isles are currently second to last. They're bad. Just because you think they're good, doesn't mean it's right.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I like data. I especially like it when the eye test matches the data. You don't have to like data, and that's fine. But ignoring it because you don't find it 100% predictive is silly. There are a lot of factors that go into building a successful team. You have 32 teams wanting to win (for the most part). Every piece of data can be used to your advantage. Broadly speaking, teams that produce more scoring chances compared to the opposition tend to be good. Like I said before, if that concept doesn't resonate with you, nobody can ever convince you otherwise.

As for the "advanced analytics" not liking the isles in the past. That's false. Like I said in the post, the Isles were very good two seasons ago. They out chanced the opposition regularly and got good goaltending. That was reflected in the stats. Cup winners of the past decade have all been above the 50% xGF entering the postseason. The Isles currently sit at 46.6%.

Also, if you want to look at predictive stats. The stat that is most predictive for postseason success is xGA. Isles are currently second to last. They're bad. Just because you think they're good, doesn't mean it's right.
I like useful data, the data you're providing is anything but. You've managed to refute nothing I said. I broke down your claim and poked holes throughout and now you're just intentionally sticking your head in the sand or nitpicking a specific section to create a strawman.

Enjoy your useless stats, just be careful to stop presenting them as some kind of fact.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
The issue with Romanov is not Romanov. The issue was the cost to acquire him by a team with very little assets. At present time, Romanov is replacement level, and likely worse. He constantly misses assignments in his own end, and is a negative in the offensive zone. He hits, and from time to time can competently get out of the zone. This Islander team has a very small window in my opinion. They have an aging core. A first round pick could have been used to add a forward. A first round pick could've been used to move out salary and make a run at JG. A first round pick is a legitimate asset. I, personally don't see what you see in Romanov. I don't think his hockey sense is up to snuff. He is extremely raw and is learning a new system. However, I see a defenseman who is slow to react to passes, takes bad angles on 2 on 1s, turns the puck over often, and does not provide offense. Obviously, he can improve and I'm counting on it. But he's a negative asset out there right now on a team starving for some element of NHL talent. At the moment, he's a fringe NHLer. He'd be a 7th defensemen on a true Stanley cup contender. He's been that bad.

Romanov is very young and has the physical tools that you want in a defenseman you can develop. He can skate, hits, is tough and has the ability to log minutes.

He was rushed by Montreal because they were desperate and he is essentially really learning on the job now. Defensemen often take 200-300 professional games to get up to speed and for the game to slow down.

You seem to be oblivious to organic player development and that there will be some growing pains. Romanov was thrust into the NHL when most players his age are still developing in college, juniors, the AHL or overseas.

If you think Romanov is a seventh defenseman, well I don't know what to say about that. Romanov was rushed and the Isles will fix that with proper coaching and a little development.

When Toews (who everyone loves now) was this age he was still trying to find his way in the AHL, not even close to being NHL ready. The Isles traded for a young player with good, underlying physical tools, who needs a little time and patience.

And the Isles also received a top-100 draft pick used for Isaiah George. He is a solid prospect who also has high end tools and has a shot to make it. It wasn't like they just received Romanov. They added a solid prospect too.

There has been ZERO evidence that JG ever wanted to play for the Isles. If he was even remotely interested, his agent would have reached out when it was clear that Philly was out, if only to use them to drive up the bidding. JG was never signing with the Isles unless the only other team bidding on him was Calgary.

If the Isles used that pick just to move out salary and failed to land JG, or gave Kadri that insane contract, it would have been a true disaster. Instead a glaring hole was filled with a young kid who should continue to improve on a very fair contract.

I have no problem with identifying young talent that might be undervalued, due to circumstances beyond their control, and then making the move for said player. The Isles got younger with the trade, received help now but can still see growth in Romanov just through experience AND they got a quality future too.

Is it a perfect trade? No. But that first was a mid rounder and not an elite asset either.

Last edited:

JPIsles18

Jul 12, 2022
I like useful data, the data you're providing is anything but. You've managed to refute nothing I said. I broke down your claim and poked holes throughout and now you're just intentionally sticking your head in the sand or nitpicking a specific section to create a strawman.

Enjoy your useless stats, just be careful to stop presenting them as some kind of fact.
What useful data do you like? I'm curious. You seem to only like data that paints Lou and the Isles in a positive light. Educate me.

Also, The Isles crushed it last night against a pretty good team. That's what good hockey looks like. The Isles have had a handful of these this season. If they can only play like that consistently.

JPIsles18

Jul 12, 2022
Romanov is very young and has the physical tools that you want in a defenseman you can develop. He can skate, hits, is tough and has the ability to log minutes.

He was rushed by Montreal because they were desperate and he is essentially really learning on the job now. Defensemen often take 200-300 professional games to get up to speed and for the game to slow down.

You seem to be oblivious to organic player development and that there will be some growing pains. Romanov was thrust into the NHL when most players his age are still developing in college, juniors, the AHL or overseas.

If you think Romanov is a seventh defenseman, well I don't know what to say about that. Romanov was rushed and the Isles will fix that with proper coaching and a little development.

When Toews (who everyone loves now) was this age he was still trying to find his way in the AHL, not even close to being NHL ready. The Isles traded for a young player with good, underlying physical tools, who needs a little time and patience.

And the Isles also received a top-100 draft pick used for Isaiah George. He is a solid prospect who also has high end tools and has a shot to make it. It wasn't like they just received Romanov. They added a solid prospect too.

There has been ZERO evidence that JG ever wanted to play for the Isles. If he was even remotely interested, his agent would have reached out when it was clear that Philly was out, if only to use them to drive up the bidding. JG was never signing with the Isles unless the only other team bidding on him was Calgary.

If the Isles used that pick just to move out salary and failed to land JG, or gave Kadri that insane contract, it would have been a true disaster. Instead a glaring hole was filled with a young kid who should continue to improve on a very fair contract.

I have no problem with identifying young talent that might be undervalued, due to circumstances beyond their control, and then making the move for said player. The Isles got younger with the trade, received help now but can still see growth in Romanov just through experience AND they got a quality future too.

Is it a perfect trade? No. But that first was a mid rounder and not an elite asset either.
I don't disagree that Romanov was rushed. I also agree he has the tools to become a very good defensive dman. I don't see the offensive potential, but he's 22. My issue with Romanov is the hockey sense. That's much more difficult to round out. I haven't seen many defensemen with poor hockey sense figure it out. Maybe the poor hockey sense I'm seeing is him trying to figure out the system as everyone has looked incompetent defensively.

My greater point isn't about JG. It's about weaponizing cap space. Moving the pick to create more cap space allows you to acquire a need (most notably in the top 6). However, as we've seen in the past, a first round pick can be weaponized to acquire undervalued players like Goodrow/Coleman. Those guys however, provided tremendous value for two seasons playing high end middle 9 minutes at a cheap price. I assume the Romanov acquisition was aiming at that. At 2.5 mil he'd be a steal if he were a top 4 dman. But he's not. Hopefully he will become that. But for a team with so many glaring holes, they had to hit on that trade. They haven't thus far.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
What useful data do you like? I'm curious. You seem to only like data that paints Lou and the Isles in a positive light. Educate me.

Also, The Isles crushed it last night against a pretty good team. That's what good hockey looks like. The Isles have had a handful of these this season. If they can only play like that consistently.
Stanley Cup rings won would be a good start

CRYHAVOC

Sep 29, 2017
I think it's way too early to assess the Romanov trade. It's true that Romanov is still a work in progress. As of now, his play can be pretty dismal at times. Doesn't the trade results also hinge on what Nazar does with his career? Again, assuming Nazar was the player they had their eyes on. I remember Lou said one of the reasons he made the trade was the highly touted defensemen in that draft they were looking at were already off the board when the Isles picked.

Finally, and it's just my opinion; I was actually able to watch the entire game last night. Watching the kids play is something I have always liked. Even in the dark days of the nineties, the kids were something I could watch. This year, with this team of over priced veterans with various no-move clauses in their contracts, not so much.

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Last night’s game against Florida was the best thing to happen to this team arguably all season with the exception of the Holmstrom injury. It was a solid performance in nearly all aspects.

It’s hard not to get excited about Raty. He just barely turned 20 and didn’t look out of place at all. He’s bigger than I imagined, clearly skilled and a Center to boot. Any conscientious asset manager needs to have him (and arguably Dufour) on their untouchable list.

I can’t help but also comment on Wotherspoon’s debut. He played rather well last night and his joy and appreciation of the moment in his post game interview was inspirational. I’m not sure he has a place here but I’m glad he had a moment to remember.

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
I don't disagree that Romanov was rushed. I also agree he has the tools to become a very good defensive dman. I don't see the offensive potential, but he's 22. My issue with Romanov is the hockey sense. That's much more difficult to round out. I haven't seen many defensemen with poor hockey sense figure it out. Maybe the poor hockey sense I'm seeing is him trying to figure out the system as everyone has looked incompetent defensively.
My timeline and recollection might be off but I'm pretty sure Pelech's hockey sense looked more than a bit off in the first 30-40 games in Trotz's system. Wasn't that the year he was healthy scratched a few games? He certainly rebounded once he picked up the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad