Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
And you know for a fact that Tarasenko said "no thank you" to coming to the Isles? I'm sure you did, but just the same kindly provide a link proving that as I'm just curious.

And my point was not about Tarasenko per se, but that it's better to trade more assets for a better player than individually trade them for OK players. But of course you have an ax to grind with any post I make so I wouldn't expect you to fully digest any of them and give an objective non-triggered reply.

That isn't the question. The question is...

Why can't Lou put us in a position where we don't have to?
Well, most of those ‘better players’ have NTCs and to date no ‘better player’ has waived their NTC to play for the Islanders in a trade. No ‘better player’ free agent has signed a UFA contract with the Islanders.

Must be fun in fantasyland where Isles have gobs of cap space and all the ‘better players’ just rushing to the Isles for cap friendly deals.

Pumpkin Pal

Oct 17, 2014
Not sure what I'm more excited for in this upcoming season now...

Watching the 25th best offense in the league struggle to reach the 8 seed until the last week, or spending the first half of the season wondering which 40 point forward Lou is gonna trade our 1st round pick for.

Either way it's an exciting time to be an islanders fan!

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I still take the LIRR every day to the worlds largest toilet bowl. People today are rude and disgusting. Zero manners or courtesy. Bunch of turnstile jumping MFERS.

early 80s was different though . More like a combination of Starsky and Hutch, The Warriors, and Pulp Fiction. Around 1983 cut school, went to Playland for phony IDs so we could get into bars . Back then in NY there were no photos on drivers licenses Just height and eye color but the age was 19. We got jumped right on the street by some , let’s just say men of color, they tried to rob us but we were dumb kids and fought back . Got away with our lives and our phony IDs . As soon as we got back to Long Island we walked right over to Hicksville Ground Round and ordered some beers . The Boston College IDs worked …...woo hoo.
sounds eerily like a trip on the GG to high school in fort greene to brooklyn tech in the mid 70s

Reactions: Sparksrus3

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
As constructed, this is a mediocre, WC bubble team. Not looking forward to that kind of season.

Last season, I felt that Lou decided to sign Chara (after testing Gustafsson) with the belief that he could be a 30-50 game spot holder. He likely felt it would give Trotz the opportunity to test Salo and even Aho more, if necessary.

Once the team would have secured its playoff spot, likely in spots 5-8, he'd then use the trade deadline to upgrade.

He had two years of history doing just that, so it wouldn't have been anything out of the ordinary.

We know what happened with the road trip and then the Corona hits. We were out of it by Christmas.

So, the plan I just theorized about was out the window.

Fast forward to now. Should we expect anything different now?

He's got 14 NHL forwards.

He's got a top tandem in goal.

He's got 5 pretty doggone good Dmen, two being up-n-comers, while having a clearly more seasoned Salo and Aho to start off with. Hutton is on board for 3 years as the right side back-up.

Is it farfetched to believe that he's going to enter this season letting the current crew prove itself under the one major change, namely the new coach?

Doesn't look farfetched. Seems likely. Seems like he's going to actually let Bellows and Wahlstrom have at it in competing for a top 9 role, likely on Barzal's line.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see one of the remaining LHDs on the market be added. Murray perhaps? de Haan? But who knows?

At this point, the most interesting thing we have to look forward to is just how the deals for Dobson and Romanov work out. Are they bridge deals? Are the already long-term lock-em-up deals?

The "no frills" phase seems to have set in. I'm assuming we'll first find out to what degree on September 1st.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
The only reason why Calgary could have moved cap space is that they had 2 1st round picks, one got from the earlier trade with Florida. Without that, it would not be wise to lose a 1st just to dump cap. When you have 2 1st, it hurts less to move one. Isles can't afford to trade another 1st round pick again, especially with a very deep draft coming up with some elite prospects among the top 3 or more. Sometimes you got to look at the bigger picture, then you can see your way out of the maze better. Besides Calgary's window to win is now, with their goalie still in his prime now. Sorokin is much younger and Isle's most talented players are young as well. You need to add young elite cheap talents to this team and it can only be done through drafting most of the time.

Hope to hear some good announcements tomorrow to make this weekend more entertaining for the Isles' fan base.
'

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
If Dobson’s an untouchable, then we lock him up today. Pay now, or pay even more later.
Yup. I hope they had a contingency where they made no big signing, but bought more Dobson years.

My concern right now is that Barzal looks like a fish out of water on this team. Kadri would have addressed that imo (others disagree). But I see Parise-Barzal-Palmieri as a 13 minute toi energy line with a center who doesn't fit. Unless some miracle development happens with him, Beau and/Wahlstrom, his production won't be there, and the trade rumblings will become very real. I could easily see him gone at the deadline. I'm not looking forward to another lafontaine situation where our center leaves then scores 150 points soon after.

Reactions: MJF

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Sorry, nothing was worse than Times Square in the early 80's. I just can't let that comment go by unrebutted. I try to tell people today how bad it was because all they know is Disneyland but it was literally the worst place on earth!
70"s

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
ok...Kadri would have been a nice add at half of what he got, both years and salary....no tears either way though....
......and really, all is not yet lost.......we acquired Leddy and Boychuk on October 4th........plenty of time yet?

Reactions: MJF and JKP

JPIsles18

Jul 12, 2022
Last season, I felt that Lou decided to sign Chara (after testing Gustafsson) with the belief that he could be a 30-50 game spot holder. He likely felt it would give Trotz the opportunity to test Salo and even Aho more, if necessary.

Once the team would have secured its playoff spot, likely in spots 5-8, he'd then use the trade deadline to upgrade.

He had two years of history doing just that, so it wouldn't have been anything out of the ordinary.

We know what happened with the road trip and then the Corona hits. We were out of it by Christmas.

He's got 5 pretty doggone good Dmen, two being up-n-comers, while having a clearly more seasoned Salo and Aho to start off with. Hutton is on board for 3 years as the right side back-up.

Is it farfetched to believe that he's going to enter this season letting the current crew prove itself under the one major change, namely the new coach?

Doesn't look farfetched. Seems likely. Seems like he's going to actually let Bellows and Wahlstrom have at it in competing for a top 9 role, likely on Barzal's line.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see one of the remaining LHDs on the market be added. Murray perhaps? de Haan? But who knows?

At this point, the most interesting thing we have to look forward to is just how the deals for Dobson and Romanov work out. Are they bridge deals? Are the already long-term lock-em-up deals?

The "no frills" phase seems to have set in. I'm assuming we'll first find out to what degree on September 1st.
I understand your point about Chara. I initially assumed he was being signed to split time with Andy Greene, which would have been fine. I never thought that the plan was to put him in the top 4 as a staple until we made the playoffs. If that was indeed the plan, Lou should have been fired at the end of the season. That is an inexcusable failure of talent evaluation. After losing two puck moving defensemen in Toews (great), and Leddy (decent), he replaces them with Greene and then Chara, respectively. That is just not how good teams are built anymore. Lead footed defensemen are ok in sheltered minutes, but these guys were getting important minutes and transition game struggled mightily.

If Lou took for granted that they can just cruise into a playoff spot while playing fringe NHL defensemen in prominent roles, that's a fireable offense. Lou has showed no creativity to solve cap issues or plug roster spots with younger/more interesting players. For instance I don't see Lou rolling the dice on high upside guys that previously struggled: Verhaege, Duclair, etc. Perhaps Romanov could be that example, but the acquisition cost was large and can further be exacerbated by the unannounced contract (he may not be that cheap).

Overall, it's hard to argue with the results. Two eastern conference finals and 3/4 playoff appearances during his tenure. However, the inability to maximize value and build on this team is maddening. The needs are obvious, but he continues to double down on solid, but unspectacular players (Palmieri, JGP, Bailey, etc). As constructed this year and last, the team is not a SC contender. The team also doesn't have many movable pieces because of the bad contracts he's handed out. I'm very down on Lou, but not because he strikes out in FA, as those contracts are usually not worth it (save for JG this season). His lack of creativity and poor talent evaluation is making this window smaller than I had thought before.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Not sure what I'm more excited for in this upcoming season now...

Watching the 25th best offense in the league struggle to reach the 8 seed until the last week, or spending the first half of the season wondering which 40 point forward Lou is gonna trade our 1st round pick for.

Either way it's an exciting time to be an islanders fan!
It’s time for Lou to make these signings and speak to the media/fans. This nonsense has gone on long enough. Show some respect to the fans.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Season can go either way but I'm going in with a glass half full approach. Healthy Pullock, Mayfield, Palmieri, Varly will be huge. Hoping every gut does their part and Lambert keeps the defense part of Barry while opening up the offense a bit.
It’s always great if everyone stays healthy but Management needs to see
How they stack up if they lose 1 or 2 D or 1 or 2 F or even a Goalie, can the Isles sustain a competitive team during these injuries, I’m not sure their depth is there

Reactions: Mike C

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Good luck to Calgary moving Kadri's contract in the later years if they need to. I do not like the way that contract is structured at all to have to pay him the full $7 million AAV while he's 37,38, & 39 years old.

Back loaded deal is a terrible structure for a 32 year old UFA, wow. I figured it was front loaded, but I guess Kadri can Bobby Bonilla it at the end of his career.

Reactions: MJF

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
As constructed, this is a mediocre, WC bubble team. Not looking forward to that kind of season.
Except that with this team, we made the conference final twice and most of us here (as well as the "experts") believed that we were going to be in the top 3 in our division last season.

We lost Toews and Leddy on defense, but Dobson improved a lot last season and it looks like he'll be better than either of them.

As for the attack, it's exactly the same group. Adding an elite forward would have been good, no doubt, but several of our forwards should bounce back next season after a difficult season. I am thinking especially of Beauvillier, Walhstrom, Palmieri, Pageau (who had a very slow start last season). Even Barzal can do better.

And in goal, we have in Sorokin a goalkeeper who is the top 5 in the league.

So to sum up, with this same group of players, everyone saw us high last season and in less than a year, this group has become quite mediocre with not much to look forward to? ?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

Nice summary. I too hope that Lambert loosens things up re: playing youth. Let's see what some of those draft picks can do (Wahlstrom was a #12 pick and showed glimpses of having maybe the best shot on the team). Last year Chara and Greene were played way too much. Hopefully we see a bit more of what a guy like Salo can do this season. Heck, not sure if Lou would have gone for 22 year old Romanov if Trotz were still coach. To your point, maybe sign/PTO a vet LHD as insurance/depth.

Reactions: LBloor

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
ok...Kadri would have been a nice add at half of what he got, both years and salary....no tears either way though....
......and really, all is not yet lost.......we acquired Leddy and Boychuk on October 4th........plenty of time yet?
i agree he is not worth the years or the dollar figure. he would have been nice at like 5x3

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Back loaded deal is a terrible structure for a 32 year old UFA, wow. I figured it was front loaded, but I guess Kadri can Bobby Bonilla it at the end of his career.
It’s backloaded so when/if he goes on LTIR, the team gets the full $7M ‘credit’ to their cap and insurance picks up the full tab. It’s pretty smart actually.

Reactions: doublechili

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006

Good luck to Calgary moving Kadri's contract in the later years if they need to. I do not like the way that contract is structured at all to have to pay him the full $7 million AAV while he's 37,38, & 39 years old.

what's the purpose of the Bonus as the cap hit remains at 7 ?

LBloor

Jul 21, 2021
I'm headed there in October, send me some good restaurant names when your back

Except that with this team, we made the conference final twice and most of us here (as well as the "experts") believed that we were going to be in the top 3 in our division last season.

We lost Toews and Leddy on defense, but Dobson improved a lot last season and it looks like he'll be better than either of them.

As for the attack, it's exactly the same group. Adding an elite forward would have been good, no doubt, but several of our forwards should bounce back next season after a difficult season. I am thinking especially of Beauvillier, Walhstrom, Palmieri, Pageau (who had a very slow start last season). Even Barzal can do better.

And in goal, we have in Sorokin a goalkeeper who is the top 5 in the league.

So to sum up, with this same group of players, everyone saw us high last season and in less than a year, this group has become quite mediocre with not much to look forward to? ?
ELITE is the key word, no way KAdri is Elite in the NHL.

Reactions: JKP

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
When the entire hockey universe knows you need to move contract(s) you’re dealing from a position of weakness and desperation. Teams knew it and likely were likely firm in their asset requests from Lou. Lou needs to seriously consider maybe changing some of his strategies but we all know it won’t happen for better or worse.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
It’s backloaded so when/if he goes on LTIR, the team gets the full $7M ‘credit’ to their cap and insurance picks up the full tab. It’s pretty smart actually.
what do you mean they get the credit?
I read that as a bad thing i think ?

When the entire hockey universe knows you need to move contract(s) you’re dealing from a position of weakness and desperation. Teams knew it and likely were likely firm in their asset requests from Lou. Lou needs to seriously consider maybe changing some of his strategies but we all know it won’t happen for better or worse.

this is likely part of the reason. However, I think I prefer to free up space after. Because there is no guarantee you land the fish you want.
Kadri is not an Elite player by any means and 7M is to much for this mid-sized fish.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Monahan is gonna be a TDL flip for Montreal...

What I think we are gonna do is take a cap dump from another team for an up and coming prospect...something like a forward version of Perunovich (Blues) OR possibly a first rounder for next year.

I think Kadri made a good choice...seriously./.for the AVs AND the Isles, he'd be a solid top 6 centre, BUT for the Flames, he is gonna have at least 2-3 years of top 3 centre play...

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY

Kurzy is right. I'm not sure why cap space wasn't cleared up, maybe the return wasn't good enough for them. It's just very peculiar if they had intention on signing a Gaudreau or Kadri.

I just don't see much else being done here. I like the Romanov pickup, and we know Dobson and Bellows are signed, but what else? JT Miller should be sought after, but I'm not sure if cap space can be cleared anymore. Not to mention, Vancouver didn't want anyone negotiating an extension with Miller.

Overall a very disappointing offseason so far for this team, especially since Lou stated there was going to be some movement.

Reactions: SI90
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad