Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Or you make a deal with Seattle to take someone else and offer a pick or prospect to do so, in turn you protect everyone you want.

Acting like the expansion draft is a reason to trade off a potential core piece, shouldn’t expect to be taken seriously

Unlike Vegas, no side deals were made with Seattle by any team to protect specific players.

Either Francis was asking for too much or he wasn't interested.

The cost of side deals with Vegas was essentially a first rounder and a third.

Snow made that deal and the player the first became was Brannstrom, who was traded in the deal for Stone.

Lou was trying to get Stone and supposedly the ask was Dobson. Obviously a non starter for the Isles.

One of the players that was presumably spared was de Haan, who got hurt so the Isles couldn't trade him, and then immediately bolted in free agency.

The Isles essentially lost three times in that deal.

Hard pass on another series of events like that.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
I'm not gonna fault Lou too much for trading Toews. It sucked and he probably should have moved other pieces to keep him around, but whatever. Hindsight is 20/20. Is what it is. Move on.

Now what I do fault Lou for is not doing anything to address the lack of mobility on D after losing Leddy. That imo was just ridiculous.

Hopefully Romanov can jump in and help out in that regard. He's young and has the talent to be a really solid top 4 guy, so I'll be rooting for him.

And hopefully Lou can move Bailey somewhere. We REALLY need that space to inject some life into this team after last season. Kadri would be a great replacement imo. He'll bring some swag and confidence to the group for sure...but most importantly he brings TALENT and a willingness to shoot the effing puck.

Put Kadri with Barzal and let them go. They can split faceoff duties. Kadri is a great skater and will give that line some much needed defensive cover to allow Barzy to work his magic. And at the same time have Lee do his thing down low without having to worry about getting caught too deep.

Just rumors so far but I'm down with it.

• Love
Reactions: danteipp and Mike C

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
It’s clear Lou did not intend on signing Chara in mid-September. So, fault him all you want, but a deal most likely never materialized (or was required to overpay). Just strikes me as odd for a man that stresses defense he left a hole like that the entire off-season.

If he overpaid to fix it, then man fans would jump on him for that too.

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
That's all you've been doing. Insufferable.

You don't want to actually have a discussion, you want everyone to say how terrible Lamoriello is for an acceptable trade.
It's his MO at this point. He reads something with a ton of evidence, picks out one thing he doesn't like and focuses on it to try to negate the point. It's juvenile debating....I've given up at this point. Then he responds like he's Shaggy from Scooby Doo, lol. Yikes!

I genuinely don’t care how anyone else feels about it. I think it was a bad trade, because of a cap crunch Lou put him self in. It’s not that deep, people didn’t have to engage in the topic if they didn’t want to.
And you didn't need to argue back at anyone who disagreed either....it takes two to tango.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Wow, a GM who is around for decades leads the list with other geriatrics.. another disingenuous and dip shit stat from Lou haters.

(Not trying to insult you, just a general statement to stupidity of this tweet)
I heard he leads all GMs in the amount of sleeping done in a lifetime too. What a lazy geezer!

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Lou caused the flat cap. Great take.
Lol and I’m insufferable? Signing Hickey, Leo, Varly at five per, signing JGP for five per… but yeah, I absolutely said Lou caused the flat cap. Those were my exact words.

It's his MO at this point. He reads something with a ton of evidence, picks out one thing he doesn't like and focuses on it to try to negate the point. It's juvenile debating....I've given up at this point. Then he responds like he's Shaggy from Scooby Doo, lol. Yikes!

And you didn't need to argue back at anyone who disagreed either....it takes two to tango.
Tons of evidence? If you say so. As far as an MO, it’sa message board, relax.

You take a statement I made-
“Did the supporting cast of the Avs help inflate the numbers, sure, but Dobson put up how many points?”

You took that as me admitting Toews numbers were inflated, when in reality it was sarcasm mocking the hyperbole that Toews wouldn’t put up the numbers he did in Colorado, in a Trotz system. MEANWHILE WE HAD A DEFENDER WHO PUT UP POINTS IN A TROTZ SYSTEM.

So yeah, you deserve a yikes everytime you try to talk, cause your reading comprehension sucks.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I see the Laffs are having trouble signing Sandin.

Any thoughts here on trading Salo and a mid round pick for him?

I’m bored obviously.

To be honest, I kind of think there's really not much that Sandin offers that we won't be getting from Salo anyway.

In addition, he's actually up for more money and it's not like we're in a situation where that dough is flowing. Toronto hasn't got any space. We're trying to make space.

It doesn't make sense right now.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
To be honest, I kind of think there's really not much that Sandin offers that we won't be getting from Salo anyway.

In addition, he's actually up for more money and it's not like we're in a situation where that dough is flowing. Toronto hasn't got any space. We're trying to make space.

I figured Sandin is a modest upgrade to Salo in a position of need and he’s more of a proven NHLer. I certainly agree cap space is a limiting factor. The only way something like this could happen is if the Isles don’t sign Kadri.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017

In the brief sampling I've seen of Salo I'm really liking what he's shown so far, I see him as being the perfect complement to Mayfield, 82 games is a long season. He will have plenty of time to figure out the NHL landscape come the spring . But first he has to make the team out of camp and I believe he will,

Reactions: danteipp

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Interesting takes. I agree with the Chara/Greene comments however I don't believe anyone saw this team outside the playoffs heading into the season. I don't see the Pulock missed time discussed as much as it should be. That further exposed the old timers and Aho. I am sure if we were in contention as expected, the defense would have been addressed via a trade at a time when cap was less of an issue. A few solid D were traded.

Reactions: Strummergas

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Lol and I’m insufferable? Signing Hickey, Leo, Varly at five per, signing JGP for five per… but yeah, I absolutely said Lou caused the flat cap. Those were my exact words.

Tons of evidence? If you say so. As far as an MO, it’sa message board, relax.

You take a statement I made-
“Did the supporting cast of the Avs help inflate the numbers, sure, but Dobson put up how many points?”

You took that as me admitting Toews numbers were inflated, when in reality it was sarcasm mocking the hyperbole that Toews wouldn’t put up the numbers he did in Colorado, in a Trotz system. MEANWHILE WE HAD A DEFENDER WHO PUT UP POINTS IN A TROTZ SYSTEM.

So yeah, you deserve a yikes everytime you try to talk, cause your reading comprehension sucks.
And this is your attempt at logic? Yikes!

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Interesting takes. I agree with the Chara/Greene comments however I don't believe anyone saw this team outside the playoffs heading into the season. I don't see the Pulock missed time discussed as much as it should be. That further exposed the old timers and Aho. I am sure if we were in contention as expected, the defense would have been addressed via a trade at a time when cap was less of an issue. A few solid D were traded.

I'm inclined to agree. While it could be argued that the season shouldn't have started with Chara/Greene in the Top6, I don't think the plan was to go through the entire season this way. Unfortunately, the season unraveled pretty quickly for the Isles and despite not saying so publicly (big surprise!), the writing was on the wall that they most likely were not going to be able to make the playoffs. At that point, I don't think Lou wanted to give up any assets in a Hail Mary move to save the season.

Reactions: crashthenet

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

Sandin seems like a great candidate for the 3rd pair with Mayfield, but you ask a good question whether he's an upgrade over Salo. I haven't seen much of Sandin, but the one concern seems to be his skating speed. If he's average and has good agility, then no problem. But some posters describe him as slow. Not sure if that's accurate though.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Those moves do not cause Toews to be traded if there isn't an unexpected flat cap. By mentioning them as reasons for the trade you're suggesting Lamoriello should've anticipated the flat cap.

He could have signed other players that were slightly better and been put in the same situation because nobody could anticipate the cap. Those deals are irrelevant to the discussion.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Those moves do not cause Toews to be traded if there isn't an unexpected flat cap. By mentioning them as reasons for the trade you're suggesting Lamoriello should've anticipated the flat cap.

He could have signed other players that were slightly better and been put in the same situation because nobody could anticipate the cap. Those deals are irrelevant to the discussion.
They are very relevant. You don’t throw the baby away with the bath water because it helps your argument.

You don’t sign bad/marginal players, nor do you over pay. Acting like the flat cap is the sole reason when they were bad/overplayed players under contract is a bold approach

Also, strange thing to post when the rumors are he’s being shopped.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

There's no point in trading for Sandin (who is rehabbing a season-ending knee injury) that we would have to sign as an RFA, when we already have Salo for $800,000 who plays a similar game.

Also, IMO, Sandin looks smaller than his listed 5' 11" by about 2 inches. We already have Sebastian Aho to take the role of an undersized mobile defenseman.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

Ding, ding, ding.

Folks, we have a winner. There’s now 100 pundits who have over the last month tweeted Kadri’s imminent signing with the Isles.

I’m not saying it won’t happen but wouldn’t it be great to see all these geniuses backtrack if he signs elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad