Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I begrudgingly agree with this.

I think I would have taken the team in a different diction than Lou, but based on the direction he HAS taken us... Kadri does seem like a nice add for the next 2-4 years.
That's the thing, for the way this Isles team is constructed I think he's a great add. We keep hoping and praying for a 100 point sniper but with Lou's style not only is it likely not going to happen but also probably not necessary for the style we play. Kadri would make an already tough Isles team downright nasty!

Reactions: duster19 and Mike C

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
That's the thing, for the way this Isles team is constructed I think he's a great add. We keep hoping and praying for a 100 point sniper but with Lou's style not only is it likely not going to happen but also probably not necessary for the style we play. Kadri would make an already tough Isles team downright nasty!
He would also bring championship pedigree, an air of arrogance this team is desperate for and set a model for certain players who many felt "checked out" when the going got tough last season. He has thick skin and is always motivated to prove his doubters wrong.

I'd love him to come aboard!

Reactions: Duanesutter12

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
kadri is a gritty center that has paced for 30+ goals 4 of the last 6 seasons and took 250 shots and paced 100 points last season and some of you are just dying to compare him to josh Bailey. Signing Kadri gives us the deepest center depth in the league. We have a top 5 (maybe top 3) goalie, and top 5 D core. If we have actually signed Kadri, it's going to put us in a VERY good spot this upcoming season

cjdv16

Nov 22, 2005
The Swamp
Couldn’t agree more, but the problems are:

1. where does he fit - he’s a winger. So potential subtraction by addition there.
2. Who do we move out - how much do we have to add to any deal or what do we get back
3. In all likelihood this is the only major add coming - and so did we actually address our goal scoring need or simply add another palmieri

Reactions: Duanesutter12

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Then why are you a fan of the team? Sports are about hope. Generally curious if your so down on the team so often why you aren’t rooting for a team that gives you more joy and hope?

That's your philosophy? Quit on things when they frustrate you? The divorce rate is already high, but do you want it to be 100%?

Front-runner fans are as bad as it gets, and I'm sure like most of us we don't know why we become fans of teams, but once they're in your heart you can't let go.

And I'm legit all for hope...But only when there's sincere cause for it, and there's a real fine line between those two things. From about 1995 through 2015 there was legit no hope...And any fan that said there was, back then or now, is actually in denial. The only hope to have back then was that new owners would come along, and thank god they finally have. Now we can have hope that we can actually win it all, but that doesn't mean you check your brain at the door and blindly agree with every single move Malkin, Ledecky, Lou, or anyone else makes.

The last few years were the best years of Islander hockey since the early 90's and if you checked my posts from about 2018-2021, my mood (and thus posts) followed. I know I'm pretty much persona non grata around here and it is what it is. However I'm not going to sit here and talk about hope when Milbury is trading Luongo/Jokinen for DiPierto/Parrish...No more than I am going to say that everything Lou does is godly - Even if he is a vastly superior GM.

If anyone thinks I'm too harsh, critical, or anything else, then I've said on multiple occasions that I'm not their cup of tea and they should ignore me. But the funny thing is that many don't...So when people ask me why I follow a team that causes me angst, they should consider why they don't just easily ignore a poster here who does the same to them.

Other fans may like just seeing hockey or just making the playoffs. I'm only in it to see the Isles win a Cup before I die, so you're damn right if the intensity of my posts follow the intensity of my expectations.

Last edited:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I don't know if EJ has sources but he's the first big hockey name that has addressed this tweet.

The entire world (in this case the media) is scared of Lou. Literally none of the legit/big reporters are hinting or suggesting that Kadri is coming here. It's amazing. With any other team you'd hear any of the big names say, "Kadri and the (insert team here) are talking and believed to be close..." but not when it comes to Lou. Just amazing.

Reactions: Mike C

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If Lou’s strategy really is To keep contracts secretive as long as he can so he can have an advantage while trading ; doesn’t it become a disadvantage when the whole world knows that’s exactly what you’re doing?

Of course. And there have been anonymous quotes from hockey people essentially saying exactly that. You don't think everyone in hockey circles knows exactly where Kadri is going? Of course they do. And you think when Lou calls any GM to trade Bailey or whomever to shed cap they don't use that information as leverage? Of course they do.

That's why it's so silly. If it gave the Isles and advantage I'd be all for it, but in a day and age where everyone has an always-updating encyclopedia in the palm of their hand, Lou simply looks outdated. Get with the times. Just make your moves and announce them like every single other team in North American sports.

Last edited:

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I don't know if EJ has sources but he's the first big hockey name that has addressed this tweet.

Don't know if that tweet has any credibility, but the Isles do not need to clear cap space to announce it (now if you are saying they won't announce it because that is Lou being Lou, that is a different story) but as most know, you can go 10% over the cap during the offseason, as long as they make the move to get to the cap by the start of the season.

It was a pretty slow week for NHL news , listening to NHL radio and watching NHL network this week they both were basically begging for something to happen with Kadri soon so they could have something to report. (now that I think of it so have we here, fanbase is starved for any news).

curious to see what happens in the next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJF and Mike C

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
If Lou’s strategy really is To keep contracts secretive as long as he can so he can have an advantage while trading ; doesn’t it become a disadvantage when the whole world knows that’s exactly what you’re doing?

Is he doing it on purpose to gain some advantage, or is he simply doing business in an old-school manner that produces fewer leaks?

I think it’s the latter.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
That's your philosophy? Quit on things when they frustrate you? The divorce rate is already high, but do you want it to be 100%?

Front-runner fans are as bad as it gets, and I'm sure like most of us we don't know why we become fans of teams, but once they're in your heart you can't let go.

And I'm legit all for hope...But only when there's sincere cause for it, and there's a real fine line between those two things. From about 1995 through 2015 there was legit no hope...And any fan that said there was, back then or now, is actually in denial. The only hope to have back then was that new owners would come along, and thank god they finally have. Now we can have hope that we can actually win it all, but that doesn't mean you check your brain at the door and blindly agree with every single move Malkin, Ledecky, Lou, or anyone else makes.

The last few years were the best years of Islander hockey since the early 90's and if you checked my posts from about 2018-2021, my mood (and thus posts) followed. I know I'm pretty much persona non grata around here and it is what it is. However I'm not going to sit here and talk about hope when Milbury is trading Luongo/Jokinen for DiPierto/Parrish...No more than I am going to say that everything Lou does is godly - Even if he is a vastly superior GM.

If anyone thinks I'm too harsh, critical, or anything else, then I've said on multiple occasions that I'm not their cup of tea and they should ignore me. But the funny thing is that many don't...So when people ask me why I follow a team that causes me angst, they should consider why they don't just easily ignore a poster here who does the same to them.

Other fans may like just seeing hockey or just making the playoffs. I'm only in it to see the Isles win a Cup before I die, so you're damn right if the intensity of my posts follow the intensity of my expectations.

You forgot Kvasha! Makes all the difference in the world! :baghead: Says the Unknown Islander Fan . . . God, the Gong Show was fun! Unlike the Milbury Show.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Omg, he’s talking about the Ivan Hlinka tournament going on right now, it’s the premier U18 summer tournament.
Sorry when he said "LI boys" I thought he meant NYI prospects, and then he mentioned Adams which I thought was NYI prospect Collin Adams for some reason.

Reactions: xECK29x

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Is he doing it on purpose to gain some advantage, or is he simply doing business in an old-school manner that produces fewer leaks?

I think it’s the latter.
there is no need to announce anything. There is likely nothing to say at this time. But if they do sign someone and need to clear space the smart move is to not say anything as someone might try and fleece someone who needs to clear space

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Why would other teams stay quiet if they had trades in place as well? Also not announcing them or sending them to the league yet doesn’t that risk something happening to one of the players during the summer? Let’s say you have a gentleman‘s agreement on a trade for Anthony Beauvillier for a prospect and Beauvillier falls off a JetSki two weeks later and gets hurt does that squash the trade that you guys agreed on?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Why would other teams stay quiet if they had trades in place as well? Also not announcing them or sending them to the league yet doesn’t that risk something happening to one of the players during the summer? Let’s say you have a gentleman‘s agreement on a trade for Anthony Beauvillier for a prospect and Beauvillier falls off a JetSki two weeks later and gets hurt does that squash the trade that you guys agreed on?

"Internal house cleaning" Barzal extension?

Reactions: SI90

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I don't think they'd trade Beauvillier at his lowest value. Seems dumb.

Maybe something like Bailey at 25% retention and Bellows for future considerations.
They can probably sign Milano for a fraction of the price and get similar production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad