Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
The stats show both teams have high power offenses, yet one has clearly struggled in the playoffs since he was traded (another dubas pointing to a Lou player as a reason for playoff failure that he was gonna cure) and the other struggled, but went deeper and deeper, and actually won with him.

Kadri is kinda like a Claude Lemieux. You think that's not a difference maker? And Lou wouldn't want that type of guy on his team?

I don't Kadri as a Claude Lemieux type player and I don't want to pay north of 7 million for Claude Lemieux if Kadri was Claude, we have Clutter who is our Claude Lemieux and he is cheap. Isles are not a high power offense at all. Kadri will be a 42-45 point guy that will not score for 12 games at a time much like Palmieri, Eberle etc... Kadri feeds off of being around super talented offensive guys.

Kadri has no bearing on the Maple Leafs, that team's destiny is always going to be about their lack of goaltending, that is like saying Isles are declining because they sent Toews to Avs and Toews won a cup and Isles did not make playoffs

I just feel Kadri would be an epic overpayment and our tires would not move

I've read Kadri is a good teammate also. I feel he is a savvy player on ice, maybe not as cerebral as some but not a liability. I wouldn't mind him here

I just don't think that is where the money is needed, if this was the Mets and it was just about throwing money at guys I would be good, but cap space is precious and we don't have a puck moving dman.

Reactions: Mike C

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
We're talking about guys like Hutton because we're grasping at straws with a guy who's 27 already and has only played a total 16 NHL games (and only because of Covid emergency call ups). He's not the answer no matter what shoehorned argument you might see here.
We're talking about Hutton as a potential #7 defenseman on the roster this coming season, and if he plays well enough in his fill-in time he could be a possible cheap bottom pair RHD replacement if Mayfield leaves. That's all. No need to make him into something bigger than he is or turn him into a referendum on the entire organization. All teams have guys like him in the NHL or AHL. And being 27 with limited pro experience isn't a big deal since he took the USHL to NCAA route and didn't graduate until 2019 when he was 24. If he turns out to be a player, that would be a win for the scouting department (finding and signing an undrafted free agent who becomes a pro).

Reactions: MJF

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
I'm not saying FLA made the right call, but they gave up Huberdeau PLUS a lot ultimately because they decided they'd rather not sign Huberdeau long term (or at least much preferred Tkachuk). I'm assuming that was based in large part on FLA's disappointing playoff showing and them deciding they need different kinds of players for the playoffs. So before we decide we'd rather pay a huge price in assets to get Huberdeau than sign Kadri, consider that Kadri is in the mold of the kind of player that FLA was looking to replace Huberdeau with.

Bailey is a smart player and a locker room guy, Kadri is not that kind of guy.
Link?

If you mean Bailey is a guy who spends time in locker rooms, I can't argue. Anything beyond that, not so much.

Reactions: Mike C

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I don't Kadri as a Claude Lemieux type player and I don't want to pay north of 7 million for Claude Lemieux if Kadri was Claude, we have Clutter who is our Claude Lemieux and he is cheap. Isles are not a high power offense at all. Kadri will be a 42-45 point guy that will not score for 12 games at a time much like Palmieri, Eberle etc... Kadri feeds off of being around super talented offensive guys.
This is silly. Have you ever watched this guy play? Calling Kadri a passenger? Really? I do a double take if Cal Clutterbuck completes a pass to a moving player. It happens once in a blue moon.

Yes Kadri scores more when he's on a line with Nylander or Rantanen... But... isn't that what you want?

Kadri was the holdover guy between Toronto pre-rebuild, and Toronto overspending on scoring centers. I think those things, neither of which were his fault, really hurt how he's been viewed in the league. If Toronto had spent on defense instead of on Tavares, they might have won a few playoff rounds. Oh welp.

Look, I don't think Kadri on a 7 year deal is a good idea either. (On a 3 year deal, it's a GREAT idea.) But this guy is getting disrespected as a player... why? I've got no idea. He was having a great playoffs, got boarded & hurt, came back ridiculously early, and continued to have a great playoffs. Was I the only person who watched that?

I understand not wanting to pay a 2nd line center like a 1st line center. Fine. But please stop.

JPIsles18

Jul 12, 2022
I wonder if they are entertaining trading Nelson and signing Kadri? With the season Nelson is coming off of, is it unreasonable to think that he could return something like 1st round pick, Compher, and Newhook from Colorado?
I'm legitimately afraid of this. Brock was our best forward last year. He's on a great contract that is ending at the right time. If they trade Brock in order to get 7 years of Kadri, I'll legitimately be upset.

Reactions: Glorydays22

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

Kadri has no bearing on the Maple Leafs, that team's destiny is always going to be about their lack of goaltending, that is like saying Isles are declining because they sent Toews to Avs and Toews won a cup and Isles did not make playoffs

I just feel Kadri would be an epic overpayment and our tires would not move

I just don't think that is where the money is needed, if this was the Mets and it was just about throwing money at guys I would be good, but cap space is precious and we don't have a puck moving dman.

Lemieux scored 379 goals in the NHL, the comparison is absurd

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
This is silly. Have you ever watched this guy play? Calling Kadri a passenger? Really? I do a double take if Cal Clutterbuck completes a pass to a moving player. It happens once in a blue moon.

Yes Kadri scores more when he's on a line with Nylander or Rantanen... But... isn't that what you want?

Kadri was the holdover guy between Toronto pre-rebuild, and Toronto overspending on scoring centers. I think those things, neither of which were his fault, really hurt how he's been viewed in the league. If Toronto had spent on defense instead of on Tavares, they might have won a few playoff rounds. Oh welp.

Look, I don't think Kadri on a 7 year deal is a good idea either. (On a 3 year deal, it's a GREAT idea.) But this guy is getting disrespected as a player... why? I've got no idea. He was having a great playoffs, got boarded & hurt, came back ridiculously early, and continued to have a great playoffs. Was I the only person who watched that?

I understand not wanting to pay a 2nd line center like a 1st line center. Fine. But please stop.
His numbers suggest that for most of his career he is a 40 point guy, not a 7 millon dollar guy, we need a dman

Lemieux scored 379 goals in the NHL, the comparison is absurd
It was a reaction to the need for what Kadri does, we have a lot of 40 point guys on our team. Lemieux scored that many points though in an era with a lot more scoring. Just not seeing how Kadri gets us to the next level.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I'm legitimately afraid of this. Brock was our best forward last year. He's on a great contract that is ending at the right time. If they trade Brock in order to get 7 years of Kadri, I'll legitimately be upset.
Completely agree. Over the last few days I have been reading some of the most truly dumb and frightening things on here and in various news and rumors columns about the Isles that I have in a very long time. First the idea that we are close to signing Kadri for 7 years at 8 million just in general. Then, that we could trade Dobson as PART of a package to get JT Miller. Not a one for one (which i Still would not do), but Dobson and MORE to get JT Miller. And now, talking about trading Brock Nelson, far and away our best goal scorer on a team that does not score goals, in order to open up a spot for a 32 year old free agent who in his career year scored 10 less goals than Nelson. I mean you cannot make this stuff up. If these things happen I would legit have to think long and hard about if my fandom of this team should continue if not for anything else than to preserve my health and mental sanity.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I'm not saying FLA made the right call, but they gave up Huberdeau PLUS a lot ultimately because they decided they'd rather not sign Huberdeau long term (or at least much preferred Tkachuk). I'm assuming that was based in large part on FLA's disappointing playoff showing and them deciding they need different kinds of players for the playoffs. So before we decide we'd rather pay a huge price in assets to get Huberdeau than sign Kadri, consider that Kadri is in the mold of the kind of player that FLA was looking to replace Huberdeau with.

Link?

If you mean Bailey is a guy who spends time in locker rooms, I can't argue. Anything beyond that, not so much.
Put Baileys numbers against Kadri's numbers and they look eerily similar. Kadri is not going to come here and scored 89 points.... Bailey put up comparable numbers one year playing with a very gifted center.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
His numbers suggest that for most of his career he is a 40 point guy, not a 7 millon dollar guy, we need a dman

It was a reaction to the need for what Kadri does, we have a lot of 40 point guys on our team. Lemieux scored that many points though in an era with a lot more scoring. Just not seeing how Kadri gets us to the next level.
Kadri scored 30 goals twice with Toronto. He's scored 20 goals 2 more times, and in normal seasons would have had 2 more 20 goal years (maybe 30 in one of them). Josh Bailey has never scored 20 goals. Not once.

Comparing Josh Bailey to Kadri makes no sense with the numbers, and makes even less sense when you watch the games. Not to mention that Bailey was an utter failure at center, and anytime he is forced to play there he doesn't score at all. The only player comparable to Kadri on the Islanders is Nelson. The only thing Nelson has on Kadri is his shot. Kadri does everything else better. Not profoundly better, but better. Brock makes 6M.

Kadri 3/21 would be an excellent signing - a total no-brainer. Obviously he doesn't want to sign for that, or he'd be signed. That's the crux - the difference between 7-8.5MAAV, and the term difference between 3 & 7 years not a, frankly, ridiculous comparison between Josh Bailey, and Nazem Kadri. ffs.

Reactions: MJF and doublechili

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Put Baileys numbers against Kadri's numbers and they look eerily similar. Kadri is not going to come here and scored 89 points.... Bailey put up comparable numbers one year playing with a very gifted center.
Kadri brings an element that Bailey totally does not. Kadri's strength is Bailey's weakness. That's hard to quantify.

But even for the quantifiable stuff, Kadri scores goals at a .30 per game career clip, whereas Bailey is at .18 goals per game. Bailey has never scored 20 goals, whereas Kadri has scored 32 twice, 28 once, and 20 another time (plus 19 in 51 games and 18 in 48 games in shortened seasons). And Kadri has been playing C and Bailey is a winger! Also, I'll guess the vast majority of Kadri's career games have been on the 2nd line, whereas Bailey has played a decent amount on the top line (with top line players and PP time). A lot of Bailey's points have been assists to Tavares, Lee, Nelson, etc..

Kadri scored 30 goals twice with Toronto. He's scored 20 goals 2 more times, and in normal seasons would have had 2 more 20 goal years (maybe 30 in one of them). Josh Bailey has never scored 20 goals. Not once.

Comparing Josh Bailey to Kadri makes no sense with the numbers, and makes even less sense when you watch the games. Not to mention that Bailey was an utter failure at center, and anytime he is forced to play there he doesn't score at all. The only player comparable to Kadri on the Islanders is Nelson. The only thing Nelson has on Kadri is his shot. Kadri does everything else better. Not profoundly better, but better. Brock makes 6M.

Kadri 3/21 would be an excellent signing - a total no-brainer. Obviously he doesn't want to sign for that, or he'd be signed. That's the crux - the difference between 7-8.5MAAV, and the term difference between 3 & 7 years not a, frankly, ridiculous comparison between Josh Bailey, and Nazem Kadri. ffs.
You just beat me to it! :laugh:

Reactions: 12Dog and Throttle

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
That wouldn't make any sense. The point of adding Kadri would be for him to take the load of Barzal so he could create + Islanders could score more goals. They'd still need Nelson! Kadri/Nylander worked really well, the point would be to work a similar dynamic. It's still very unlikely to happen because of term - Kadri wants more years than NYI should be willing to give him.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That wouldn't make any sense. The point of adding Kadri would be for him to take the load of Barzal so he could create + Islanders could score more goals. They'd still need Nelson! Kadri/Nylander worked really well, the point would be to work a similar dynamic. It's still very unlikely to happen because of term - Kadri wants more years than NYI should be willing to give him.
I get the feeling that people here have 2 issues with Kadri. His 7 year ask on this contract, and the playoff suspensions. Nothing you can do about his playoff past, and yes it was a turnoff. As for his alleged 7 year contract demand, just because he asks for it doesn't mean he's going to get it. I'd have no problem if Lou offered him 4 years.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

The comparison is not who they are but on paper. Bailey is one year older than Kadri.. and his 3 best seasons were 71, 56 and 56 points. Kadri has 87,61, 55. They are 1 year apart and Bailey has 555 career points and Kadri has 357 points. Not sure why the statistical comparison is illogical. Bailey scoring 71 points in a season where no one cracked 100 points, Kadri scoring 87 in a year where a lot of guys cracked 100 points. Kadri put up his numbers in a contract year surrounded by offensive talent that does not exist on the Island.

I am just using this comparison which I believe to be valid from a contract and $ value standpoint. We need to spend that allocated money on something else. Clearing out Beau or Bailey to get this guy won't make us a better team. Adding a LD for the same price that can carry the puck and add some offense is what we need to spend the money on, not another 40-50 point 2nd line guy.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Kadri brings an element that Bailey totally does not. Kadri's strength is Bailey's weakness. That's hard to quantify.

But even for the quantifiable stuff, Kadri scores goals at a .30 per game career clip, whereas Bailey is at .18 goals per game. Bailey has never scored 20 goals, whereas Kadri has scored 32 twice, 28 once, and 20 another time (plus 19 in 51 games and 18 in 48 games in shortened seasons). And Kadri has been playing C and Bailey is a winger! Also, I'll guess the vast majority of Kadri's career games have been on the 2nd line, whereas Bailey has played a decent amount on the top line (with top line players and PP time). A lot of Bailey's points have been assists to Tavares, Lee, Nelson, etc..

You just beat me to it! :laugh:

They obviously are not the same player, I mean Kadri doesn't have a goal song. But if we are going to spend 7 million for a guy who on paper is more or less Josh Bailey. I have never been Bailey's biggest hater or his biggest fanboy, but there is a stability that Bailey does bring. Isles have a lot of agitation on this team with Clutter, the 4th line LW, Pageau plays like that. There is a reason why Kadri is not signed yet, and I think as Isles fans we get excited about signing a guy for just signing a guy, which is what gets us bad contracts. If Kadri was 5 million for 5 years, I would say yes, but he can't be overpaid. Nelson is superior to him, Nelson carries his line, is a much better defensive player.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Kadri is an agitator. He plays with an edge. The same type of edge that Matthew Tkachuk plays with.
No, there is a huge difference. Kadri is a Clutterbuck type of agitator who acts like an ass and then runs away or turtles. Tkachuk can defend himself or a teammate against even some of the heavyweights of the league.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I get the feeling that people here have 2 issues with Kadri. His 7 year ask on this contract, and the playoff suspensions. Nothing you can do about his playoff past, and yes it was a turnoff. As for his alleged 7 year contract demand, just because he asks for it doesn't mean he's going to get it. I'd have no problem if Lou offered him 4 years.
I am actually surprised by how many people if anything seem to like him on this board. Going back several years when he was on Toronto people on here HATED him. Now he is quite frankly an even bigger jerk than he was then. And the icing on the cake are those people who would like to trade Brock Nelson a home grown guy who scores more goals than Kadri most seasons including both of their career years in 2021 AND is 2 years younger. It is just ludicrous and illogical. Lets trade our top goal scorer to bring in an older guy who wants more money and scores less goals.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site

Link?

I think it was a smart move by FLA GM , he is planning ahead which is smart. Why sign Huberdeau
for 8 years where 4 of those years will be anchors at his age, ! With Tkachuk's contract, he will be playing
during his most productive hockey years. Excellent Move. Sign me up for a GM like that

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
They are 1 year apart and Bailey has 555 career points and Kadri has 357 points.
That must be a typo or an incorrect source. Here are the accurate career numbers:

Bailey: 993GP, 555 points (playoffs: 71GP, 50 points)
Kadri: 739GP, 512 points (playoffs: 52GP, 44 points)

Kadri's numbers are clearly superior, especially if you consider goal scoring where the difference is even greater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad