Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
that's what Winnipeg and Isles have in common. No one would waive for them.

I find it very hard to believe the isles are on most no trade lists. New facilities (both practice and Arena), new owners that spend to the cap, a competitive team with stable management, and in a place that is close to NYC. Sure 10 years ago the isles were definitely on a lot of no trade lists, but I don’t think that’s the case these days.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I find it very hard to believe the isles are on most no trade lists. New facilities (both practice and Arena), new owners that spend to the cap, a competitive team with stable management, and in a place that is close to NYC. Sure 10 years ago the isles were definitely on a lot of no trade lists, but I don’t think that’s the case these days.
If players have arranged to have a say in where they go, I'm gonna guess the Isles are not on very many lists. They'd rather go somewhere else more lucrative.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Here’s a more appropriate list the Isles are not on:
Original 6 team
Top tier contender
No tax state
Warm weather state

Nearly all of us here look back fondly on the dynasty years but today’s players weren’t even born then and give it no weight. We’re not at the bottom of the list of preferred destinations but we’re middle of the pack at best.

Reactions: LeapOnOver and MJF

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Top 4 defense is a priority. Can’t go into next year with the same exact defensive pairings.

Hmmmm.

I can't imagine us not going into next season with our current top 4 as our top 4.

Can't see how Lou possibly upgrades on that with the combination of the current cap situation and NTCs/MTCs that this current group has.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Hmmmm.

I can't imagine us not going into next season with our current top 4 as our top 4.

Can't see how Lou possibly upgrades on that with the combination of the current cap situation and NTCs/MTCs that this current group has.
Pelech's fulll NTC goes to a 16 team NTC in 53 weeks. Trade for a 2nd pair LHD now and move Pelech down to the 3rd pair to play with Mayfield this coming season (they'd get lots of minutes on the PK, and they're both experts at icing the puck). It's an expensive 3d pair, but our 1st pair makes only $6.5M this year. Let Reilly walk. Trade Pelech next summer.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Bears repeating...

- Nelson brings no less in a trade than what we paid for Horvat. You're getting a younger established NHLer, basically a blue-chip prospect, and a 1st rounder. No less. Can't really see Lou moving him but if does, it certainly WON'T be for a late 20s NHLer who actually produces less than he does.
- You do not need to pay somebody to take Pageau, much less in the form of a top 64 pick. You may not get much of anything in return, but there will be enough teams out there who actually need a bit of contract to safely get to/hover around the cap floor and who could very much use his 3rd line checking role and locker room presence.

Find solace by reading the room better.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Bears repeating...

- Nelson brings no less in a trade than what we paid for Horvat. You're getting a younger established NHLer, basically a blue-chip prospect, and a 1st rounder. No less. Can't really see Lou moving him but if does, it certainly WON'T be for a late 20s NHLer who actually produces less than he does.
- You do not need to pay somebody to take Pageau, much less in the form of a top 64 pick. You may not get much of anything in return, but there will be enough teams out there who actually need a bit of contract to safely get to/hover around the cap floor and who could very much use his 3rd line checking role and locker room presence.

I think that isles fans in general are so down about the team that the values of Pulock/Nelson around here have taken quite a hit. While I hope you are correct about Pageau I still envision them needing to give something up to get rid of that contract. I am so ready to never seen him play in blue and orange again.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Pelech's fulll NTC goes to a 16 team NTC in 53 weeks. Trade for a 2nd pair LHD now and move Pelech down to the 3rd pair to play with Mayfield this coming season (they'd get lots of minutes on the PK, and they're both experts at icing the puck). It's an expensive 3d pair, but our 1st pair makes only $6.5M this year. Let Reilly walk. Trade Pelech next summer.

Well, that may be a "way", but if the team is making a trade to bring in a component that could be an upgrade on Pelech, then it actually needs to be a top 6 forward that is being brought in.

That need is far more pressing.

Also dunno if there's enough firepower in the asset department to bring in someone who could bring us more than Reilly did last season.

Something tells me Lou will want to see what Roy can do with Dobson, Romanov, Pelech, Pulock, and Mayfield.

The system is naturally not well-stocked and there's no blue-chipper we can all look forward to. Theoretically though, with Bolduc, Odelius, George, and Warren in the system, we're better off at LHD internally than anywhere else.

This said, with Salo already gone and Aho a likely walker, and Cholowski likely moving on from the farm team, the organization WILL need to add an LHD or two who could fill in at the NHL level on a whim's notice. I'm thinking of UFAs like Calle Rosen, Jacob MacDonald, Caleb Jones, or Robert Hagg.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
It’ll be something like 2024 1st, 2nd and Holmstrom unless Pageau waives.

Ehlers can get flipped for a 1st in 2025 if he doesn’t resign, so no real risk.

If indeed the Isles could bring in Ehlers and McGroarty on draft day, you're prolly right on with that prognosis.

Sure would feel a tick better for us if Lou could convince them to throw in RFA Ville Heinola in the deal as well.

Reactions: Tahoeblue

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Is McGoarty's Skating up to NHL speed and Quality?
I hear that's what's holding him back in Winnipeg's eyes..
Just do no want another Wahlstrom :rolleyes:

They wanted him under contract this year. He chose to go back to college for a sophomore campaign, likely for the reason that's now forcing Winnipeg's hand.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Bears repeating...

I agree with you on Nelson and not as much on Pageau.

Maybe it’s the battered wife syndrome
but as an Isles fan I have the uneasy feeling that our players aren’t properly valued by other teams.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Warroad MN is 125 miles from Winnipeg so it might not be on Nellies NTC . He probably played in many tournaments as a kid in the Peg

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If indeed the Isles could bring in Ehlers and McGroarty on draft day, you're prolly right on with that prognosis.

Sure would feel a tick better for us if Lou could convince them to throw in RFA Ville Heinola in the deal as well.
isles toss in Wahlstrom and Jets toss in Heinola.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad