Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
If we could move Pageau for Tarasenko I think that would be a win just to get Pageau a contract off the books. Would love to get Pinto but I doubt Ottawa wants to trade him unless this suspension has them disinterested. TKachuk is a dream and exceptionally unlikely.

Reactions: Ishkabible and MJF

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Thank you for saying it better than I did. Every guy that retires on an expiring contract has to be replaced. For Martin there is Fasching. Fir Clutterbuck it’s likely a vet from the outside. In terms of salary it’s probably a wash. The real flexibility still comes from moving a more expensive contract. Those will cost us something additional, either a prospect, pick, retention, or a buyout. This is the part that I have issues with.

I do as well.

But I'd be shocked to see Lou pay someone to take on the contract of a player he traded for and signed, so I'm thinking it's unfathomable that he'd, say, pay someone to take on a year of Palmieri.

And in general, I don't think any of the guys currently on contracts we don't like are anywhere near "Bailey bad" or "Ladd bad", so I think there'll be other options. At least if he were to start landscaping this roster fairly soon.

At least that's what I'm telling myself...

Reactions: Potvottier

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
If we could move Pageau for Tarasenko I think that would be a win just to get Pageau a contract off the books. Would love to get Pinto but I doubt Ottawa wants to trade him unless this suspension has them disinterested. TKachuk is a dream and exceptionally unlikely.
Staple thinks they'll only get a 6th round pick from OTT for Pags and that no other team would want him.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Staple thinks they'll only get a 6th round pick from OTT for Pags and that no other team would want him.
He doesn’t score, he’s overpaid, he has term, he hasn’t been the same player since his broken wrist. I can’t see Pageau getting traded without add-ons from the Isles. He’ll be expensive to move. Josh Bailey territory.

Last edited:

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
a sixth rounder
"Getting rid of Pageau would be a straight cap dump, maybe even for something as low as a sixth-round pick — you’re basically asking a team to take him. It’s hard to think of another NHL team that would take him on." (aside from OTT)- Staple

Reactions: saintunspecified

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
a sixth rounder
"Getting rid of Pageau would be a straight cap dump, maybe even for something as low as a sixth-round pick — you’re basically asking a team to take him. It’s hard to think of another NHL team that would take him on." (aside from OTT)- Staple
A 6th? Nah, sorry I know he's not the same player but our strong part of our team "centers" is not anymore. We have no depth. I'd wait until the off-season to see if you can package him.

I still think on an expiring deal. He's a good Deadline trade for a playoff team.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
a sixth rounder
Read message board. Write article.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Wouldn't it be weird to trade Pageau when you have three centers as your first line? I see no reason to break them up as of now, albeit a small sample size. I mean the cap dump and Maclean on full time doesn't bother me, but still doesn't seem like a Lou move.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I wouldn’t quite say that trading a 24 year old who is in the midst of his great season for a 24 year old who is a 4 time all star and a 23 year old center playing at a 65 point pace on a bad team is Milbury-esque, especially considering our aging 2C on a soon to be expiring contract and our prospect pool at those two positions (non-existent). Obviously in no rush to move him, and I think he’s extremely close to being untouchable - though i do think there are some situations that should make everyone balk at that word.
I genuinely meant it when I said “not exact” like Milbury. But the way it does remind me of a Milbury move is that it’s just overthinking. In retrospect, the Berard trade might be another example that can be used.

Anyway, the Ottawa players are all wonderfully talented and I have no problem with them per se.

Also as a chat board, I can understand you musing about possible moves. Including out-of-the-box possible moves.

But, I think you are really underselling Dobson. He’s had two consecutive 50+ points. He has a pedigree of two-way dominance in two memorial cup championships.

This isn’t just some rando career year of a player coming out of nowhere. He is making a case for the Norris trophy. Challenging some of Potvin’s accomplishments. You just don’t move from that unless you are forced to by the player.

Keep Dobson, find another way…. Easy peasy.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Dream scenario -

LL
A 6th? Nah, sorry I know he's not the same player but our strong part of our team "centers" is not anymore. We have no depth. I'd wait until the off-season to see if you can package him.

I still think on an expiring deal. He's a good Deadline trade for a playoff team.
i agree with you- Laughton at 3m for the same amount of term - the ask is a 1st.

I believe JGP will be an Isles on March 9th and I think Wahlstrom will be shipped with a 2nd for Tarasenko.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Wouldn't it be weird to trade Pageau when you have three centers as your first line? I see no reason to break them up as of now, albeit a small sample size. I mean the cap dump and Maclean on full time doesn't bother me, but still doesn't seem like a Lou move.
I like the top line as presently constructed. I also would like to see JGP moved. Perhaps JGP out and a move for Henrique. The need exists again for a RD. Aho is not the answer there and who knows what the actual status of Mayfield and Bortuzzo might be.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Dream scenario -

LL

i agree with you- Laughton at 3m for the same amount of term - the ask is a 1st.

I believe JGP will be an Isles on March 9th and I think Wahlstrom will be shipped with a 2nd for Tarasenko.
Would need to move out cap to add tank I believe

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
With the TDL approaching and 2 somewhat unexpected road wins I can’t help but envision Lou channeling his inner Mr. Burns and whispering “Excellent!”.
6 points out with 1 game in hand, essentially in a morass of teams that are essentially the same.

What it means:
- Don't trade 1st or 2nd round pick

Whether/how NYI decide to shed salary now vs. the offseason isn't something I'm going to get excited about. If NYI do nothing or nothing significant, that's fine with me. If they get offered a big package for Nelson, I'd be for doing it, but that's up to other teams first. The teams that really could use him might have a hard time with his very reasonable contract, and/or don't have much to offer.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
6 points out with 1 game in hand, essentially in a morass of teams that are essentially the same.

What it means:
- Don't trade 1st or 2nd round pick

Whether/how NYI decide to shed salary now vs. the offseason isn't something I'm going to get excited about. If NYI do nothing or nothing significant, that's fine with me. If they get offered a big package for Nelson, I'd be for doing it, but that's up to other teams not NYI.
I’m of the same mindset. Changes need to be made by this offseason at the latest. If nothing of consequence happens at the TDL it’s all good with me.

It’s the doubling down at the TDL scenario that worries me.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Saw on the main board "Krug for a bad contract swap" - is something there to work with?

Swap a bad contract and then try to trade from a position of strength on Defense - Pulock, Pelech, Mayfield - to restock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad