Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
Re-tooling and getting younger more skilled and faster ?Ottawa’s got the skill and speed that we need . We have the grit, leadership and playoff experience that the Sens need. There’s a match here.

Pageau, Pulock, Pelech, Lee should all be of interest to OTT.

Norris would have been the target but his shoulder injuries make him a risk. He’d look great next to Nelson on our 2nd line . If it were a salary dump type of deal it may be worth the risk.

I doubt they’d move him but Batherson would be another target.

Chabot and Chychrun would be options if we moved on from Pelech/Pulock to get us a bit younger on the back line. Otherwise, they’re unnecessary with the emergence of Dobson and the single D PP.

Isles scout in Ottawa for two days. Players that make sense (from a Lou perspective) IMO would be Tarasenko, Giroux, Norris, Chychrun, and Pinto.

- Norris injured last night, can take him off list
- Pinto is a pipe dream, Ottawa trying to retool the same way we are
- Giroux has an NMC

So we’re down to Chychrun and Tarasenko, although Norris probably made the most sense before the injury. My guess is Tarasenko is still the target, which could be a nice small add to aid in a push if we win the next game. But we’ll see

Norris was someone I could see being dangled in a Pageau + deal for cap reasons. They have him playing 3C with close to an 8M aav as Pinto has moved up on their depth chart.
I believe he had a shoulder injury last year and with the injury last night... he's probably off the list as you suggested.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Re-tooling and getting younger more skilled and faster ?Ottawa’s got the skill and speed that we need . We have the grit, leadership and playoff experience that the Sens need. There’s a match here.

Norris would have been the target but his shoulder injuries make him a risk. He’d look great next to Nelson on our 2nd line . If it were a salary dump type of deal it may be worth the risk.

Chabot and Chychrun would be options if we moved on from Pelech/Pulock to get us a bit younger on the back line. Otherwise, they’re unnecessary with the emergence of Dobson and the single D PP.
If Ottawa wants experienced RD that they don’t have to worry about negotiating a long term deal with anytime soon, Pulock’s value to them should be sky high.

Pageau would be a “pseudo” cap dump with the hopes that he can rekindle in Ottawa and provide stability to the locker room.

I can’t see Lee waiving for OTT and moving Pelech would deplete NYI’s left side and means Rielly would be playing top four minutes with Aho/Bolduc being an everyday defensemen (assuming there wasn’t an additional LD coming back).

Last edited:
Reactions: BarzyClub

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

Yep, all that skill and speed and they are NINE points BEHIND US in the standings . . . am I missing something here?

Reactions: BarzyClub

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
The Isles depth at Center has the potential to be a serious liability within the next two years.

While you never know what Lou might do (or not do), Nelson will likely be gone by next year‘s TDL at the latest. JGP could be gone sooner though losing them both probably won’t happen. Cizikas just isn’t good enough at this point in time to be anything more than a #4C. That leaves two openings for the middle 6 lines at the Center position.

With no NHL ready prospects, the only way to fill those gaps would be via trade or UFA signings. Considering our lack of success signing UFAs, I think it’s mandatory that any trade involving Nelson returns a younger, NHL center with potential.

Reactions: Ishkabible and MJF

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
Giroux and Hamonic ($7.7mil)

for

Pageau and Mayfield ($8.5mil)

They get slightly younger, we get slightly better. Close?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The Isles depth at Center has the potential to be a serious liability within the next two years.

While you never know what Lou might do (or not do), Nelson will likely be gone by next year‘s TDL at the latest. JGP could be gone sooner though losing them both probably won’t happen. Cizikas just isn’t good enough at this point in time to be anything more than a #4C. That leaves two openings for the middle 6 lines at the Center position.

With no NHL ready prospects, the only way to fill those gaps would be via trade or UFA signings. Considering our lack of success signing UFAs, I think it’s mandatory that any trade involving Nelson returns a younger, NHL center with potential.
This is the balloon payment that is about to come due. Not just at center but with all the players that are on expiring contracts. There are very few in house solutions to filling the roster spots that Clutterbuck, Martin, Aho, and the holes the 2025 expiring contracts are going to open up. I know about the cap space that we'll have, but I have trouble believing that suddenly top end UFAs will be willing to take the Islanders money.

Reactions: The Real JT

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
We could NEVER afford Tkachuk (trading pieces). So that is a pipe dream.
Probably, but we are also entering an era where the player can steer themselves towards teams, sometimes putting the trading team in a not so great position to get the best package.

Shitshow ownership resulted in years and years of rebuilding. Film at 11.
And management.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Something tells me the player of interest would be Pinto.
Checks a lot of boxes - young, RFA to be, cap... it would require the 2024 1st.

Chychrun and Tarasenko are other potential targets, but Pinto allows for ease with the Cap, it gets them younger, pushes Nelson to W or makes Pageau expendable, and is someone who most in the fan base would be OK with losing another first round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad