Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Possibly - this is just me musing and my opinion.
There were discussions (maybe just rumors) before he got caught with the gambling stuff that he maybe dangled due to the tough contract negotiations last summer.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
This is the balloon payment that is about to come due. Not just at center but with all the players that are on expiring contracts. There are very few in house solutions to filling the roster spots that Clutterbuck, Martin, Aho, and the holes the 2025 expiring contracts are going to open up. I know about the cap space that we'll have, but I have trouble believing that suddenly top end UFAs will be willing to take the Islanders money.

I’m not worried about expiring contracts for 4th line forwards and spare defensemen. That could actually be a good thing. But losing top 6 forwards no matter how flawed won’t be easy to replace.

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
Yep, all that skill and speed and they are NINE points BEHIND US in the standings . . . am I missing something here?
Exactly. They’re thinking they have too much flash a la Buffalo- another team that could be able to use our wily vets.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
This is the balloon payment that is about to come due. Not just at center but with all the players that are on expiring contracts. There are very few in house solutions to filling the roster spots that Clutterbuck, Martin, Aho, and the holes the 2025 expiring contracts are going to open up. I know about the cap space that we'll have, but I have trouble believing that suddenly top end UFAs will be willing to take the Islanders money.

I'm hoping that whoever is managing this team this summer is looking at guys like Beauvillier and say i.e. Sam Steel or Oskar Sundqvist to come in and take on lower line roles for app. 1-1.5 MM per as layovers who may have incentive to get their careers on track from an offensive standpoint.

I'm also hoping that that manager is going to be willing and capable enough to take Lee's 15-team M-NTC (as of this summer) and pair it up with Mayfield to send them packing for a solid player who is just on a bit of a poor utopian contract (i.e. long-term overpayment) such as Seth Jones or Darnell Nurse, where their current teams could see that such already invested money is better spent in the kind of contracts Lee (w/ 2 more years) and Mayfield ("just" 3.5 MM per with buyout options moving forward) bring to the table.

As far as UFAs who make a difference up front are concerned, I'm not seeing any options from a player and contract standpoint on the forward front that make sense, even if you manage to enter the offseason with the Lee, Martin, and Clutterbuck spots open. I'm sure a guy like Debrusk would have to be of interest, as would maybe even a guy like Teravainen, for that that top 6 winger role. But the market really looks like each of these two will be able to demand more than they're prolly worth.

And is either of them bringing you "the missing key" among Barzal, Horvat, Nelson, and say Palmieri?

Looks bleak.

You know as well as anybody that the internal options aren't there, even if it continues to be impressive what MacLean has been doing with his afforded (and well-earned) shot on that 4th line.

The 2025 UFA period looks like it'll be a much different beast.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

I was on board with Gauthier and Fasching as Clutter and Martin replacements before the season began and still am. Internal upgrades? Maybe not, but they’re a lot cheaper and not a hell of a lot worse.

Aho replacement is Reilly.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I was on board with Gauthier and Fasching as Clutter and Martin replacements before the season began and still am. Internal upgrades? Maybe not, but they’re a lot cheaper and not a hell of a lot worse.

Aho replacement is Reilly.

I like the idea, but I'd prefer to replace Clutter with a younger gritty PK'er, who can provide some skill. Like the Aho for Reilly. Quibbling over 4th liners and bottom pairings doesn't address the core issues.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Brady is a great first line winger and 24 years old. He’s exactly what we need (don’t understand why Ottawa would deal him, they’re in the same boat) - but he’s not Matthew or his dad. Dobson would be a bit of an overpay imo, simply because finding a winger for your first line should theoretically be easier than finding a 1RHD. I think an offer starts at Pulock and two firsts and you massage from there.

If Dobson is on the table I think it’s realistic that Ottawa adds in some way. They’re the same age and the value is close, but I have to think it tips in the favor of the RHD who is outscoring the winger and is signed for half the salary for the time being.
Have to trade Dobson if you plan on getting Tkachuk.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Brady is a great first line winger and 24 years old. He’s exactly what we need (don’t understand why Ottawa would deal him, they’re in the same boat) - but he’s not Matthew or his dad. Dobson would be a bit of an overpay imo, simply because finding a winger for your first line should theoretically be easier than finding a 1RHD. I think an offer starts at Pulock and two firsts and you massage from there.

If Dobson is on the table I think it’s realistic that Ottawa adds in some way. They’re the same age and the value is close, but I have to think it tips in the favor of the RHD who is outscoring the winger and is signed for half the salary for the time being.

Trading Dobson for Tkachuk would be insanely stupid. I’d love Tkachuk, but not if Dobson/Barzal/Sorokin were involved.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Trading Dobson for Tkachuk would be insanely stupid. I’d love Tkachuk, but not if Dobson/Barzal/Sorokin were involved.
Yeah, OTT adds. But I will say, there is value in the fact that Brady signed his deal before the upcoming cap bumps. If his deal came up at the same time as Dobson I’m sure they’d make more or less the same, seeing as he’s their captain. Still, they add.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

There should be zero fallout from losing Aho/Clutterbuck/Martin…the likes of Lafferty, Trenin, Blueger, Motte, McMann (just as examples) could all be signed cheap and provide adequate play in a fourth line role.

Also I think you’ll see Nelson re-signed assuming he’s not returning someone like Shane Pinto. Norris is an opportunist better suited on the wing (with de Haan-esque shoulder concerns) making 7.9M per, there’s no need for that in Lamoriello’s “orchestra”.

Nelson’s aged like fine wine and we’ve seen players who don’t play like a wrecking ball be more and more effective into their mid-late 30’s. Lou will re-sign Nelson to 7M per for 3 years (or maybe a little more & longer) rather than gamble on adding an unknown on July 1st. Again, this is assuming he can’t trade Nelson for a younger center who’s already established with upside.

Possibly - this is just me musing and my opinion.
There were discussions (maybe just rumors) before he got caught with the gambling stuff that he maybe dangled due to the tough contract negotiations last summer.
Well he’s American and likely doesn’t want to re-sign in Canada. Tough negotiations can also be a way of communicating you “want out”.

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I like the idea, but I'd prefer to replace Clutter with a younger gritty PK'er, who can provide some skill. Like the Aho for Reilly. Quibbling over 4th liners and bottom pairings doesn't address the core issues.

True, they don't move the needle on the ice. But swapping out those contracts is the win.

When looking at the NYI contact situation, we are super concerned with the cap crunch due to some immovable contracts in Lee, Pageau, etc. If they are truly immovable, then you need to look for relief somewhere else - that's Martin's $1.5mm and Clutter's $1.75mm.

Reactions: Strummergas

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
True, they don't move the needle on the ice. But swapping out those contracts is the win.

When looking at the NYI contact situation, we are super concerned with the cap crunch due to some immovable contracts in Lee, Pageau, etc. If they are truly immovable, then you need to look for relief somewhere else - that's Martin's $1.5mm and Clutter's $1.75mm.
Clutter and Martin needs replacement so there's not gonna be any relief to speak of there, maybe a million in total. The only real way of gaining relief is to trade away a long term contract for a short term one, if that is possible. Then they really need to try and stock up in the draft to bring through cheap players to replace the overpaid ones currently on the roster.

Reactions: Ishkabible and MJF

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Yeah, OTT adds. But I will say, there is value in the fact that Brady signed his deal before the upcoming cap bumps. If his deal came up at the same time as Dobson I’m sure they’d make more or less the same, seeing as he’s their captain. Still, they add.

Ottawa doesn’t add because the isles don’t even consider the trade. You don’t trade a 24 year old #1 defenseman that is a PPG player. At this point there are a handful of players I’d consider moving Dobson for, Tkachuk isn’t on that short list.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
They have Chabot and Chychrun. Why would they want to do that?
…and Sanderson and all three of them play the left side and Dobson is better than all of them. 2 Americans for a Canadian, captain for captain and the cap would work after we threw in Wahlstrom. But fixing your offense for the foreseeable future for the price of your best defender (who is due a 7-8M raise) shouldn’t be considered off limits in this meta. Would never happen…probably

Last edited:

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

The deadline is gonna be super quiet, or the continued use of third teams to help transactions will be prominent. Another would be that teams trade players of varying contract term and length as the major part of the deal.

GMs will always look to kick the can down the line, so taking back term now for short term help is not a big deal in the mind of a GM looking to upgrade to win. Always figure it out in the summer.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
…and Sanderson and all three of them play the left side and Dobson is better than all of them. 2 Americans for a Canadian, captain for captain and the cap would work after we threw in Wahlstrom. But fixing your offense for the foreseeable future for the price of your best defender (who is due a 7-8M raise) shouldn’t be considered off limits in this meta. Would never happen…probably

Trading a 24 year old franchise defenseman to “fix the offense” should always be off the table.

Not to mention that said defenseman likely impacts the offense more than the forward being acquired.

While not exact, this still feel’s like Milbury 4-d chessing his way out of Luongo for Dipietro.

Just pay the man who checks just about everything you want in a number one defender, and keep it moving.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
If they can do a deal for Tkachuk for Pulock and a bit, then it's game on.
I rather not trade Pulock but if there is deal that involved Tkachuk isles have to really seriously consider this. If you could somehow get Pinto and Tkachuk for some machination around Pageau, Pulock, our 1st in 24 and perhaps other filler additions or picks. I think this only is on table if Tkachuk really wants out of there which hasn’t ever been said other than speculation.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Trading a 24 year old franchise defenseman to “fix the offense” should always be off the table.

Not to mention that said defenseman likely impacts the offense more than the forward being acquired.

While not exact, this still feel’s like Milbury 4-d chessing his way out of Luongo for Dipietro.

Just pay the man who checks just about everything you want in a number one defender, and keep it moving.
I wouldn’t quite say that trading a 24 year old who is in the midst of his great season for a 24 year old who is a 4 time all star and a 23 year old center playing at a 65 point pace on a bad team is Milbury-esque, especially considering our aging 2C on a soon to be expiring contract and our prospect pool at those two positions (non-existent). Obviously in no rush to move him, and I think he’s extremely close to being untouchable - though i do think there are some situations that should make everyone balk at that word.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Clutter and Martin needs replacement so there's not gonna be any relief to speak of there, maybe a million in total. The only real way of gaining relief is to trade away a long term contract for a short term one, if that is possible. Then they really need to try and stock up in the draft to bring through cheap players to replace the overpaid ones currently on the roster.
Thank you for saying it better than I did. Every guy that retires on an expiring contract has to be replaced. For Martin there is Fasching. Fir Clutterbuck it’s likely a vet from the outside. In terms of salary it’s probably a wash. The real flexibility still comes from moving a more expensive contract. Those will cost us something additional, either a prospect, pick, retention, or a buyout. This is the part that I have issues with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad