Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Several people have suggested a "major retooling" as if that's something that Lou would even do....Or that can happen at all.

Right now the Isles have about 7M in cap space this offseason (and the cap is only projected to go up about 1M) with the following FAs:

• UFAs: Clutterbuck, Martin, Reilly, Aho
  • RFAs: Holmstrom, Wahlstrom, MacLean

Then consider the following factors...

• Since Lou literally resigns every FA that he can, he's going to wind up using up most all of our cap space doing just that with that list above.
  • And even if Lou decides not to sign any of the UFAs and even let Wahlstrom walk, there's not enough cap to sign any quality/great UFA from another team (even if he could convince them to come).
  • The Isles have basically no tradable contracts that would clear up notable cap space other than Nelson (which would leave a hole at center) and Dobson (which would be insane).
  • The Isles have their own 1st and 2nd this year, but might need to trade them to get a deal like Lee's off the books to open up cap space.
  • Thanks to Lou the Isles literally don't have a minor leaguer/prospect that could step into the lineup and have a notable impact, or be traded for a good veteran player.

So essentially no cap space, no tradable players that wouldn't create another problem by dealing them, and zero prospects to promote or trade for help.

Even if Lou is fired (and man should he be ASAP), this lackluster and aging group is basically the team you're going to be watching next season so you can expect the same conversations about missing the playoffs in the spring of 2025 as well.

The cap is expected to go up to $87.7M next season, which is a $4.2M increase.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
I think Holmstrom could be a pretty good option for the Borvat Wonder Twins on the top line. He skates well enough to excel on the rush with such a fast pace line, competes, is defensively responsible, and is an opportunistic goal scorer. He has been attached to Pageau's hip all season, but he has shown some surprisingly decent playmaking ability with his new linemates where he has looked very good - possibly the best he's looked all season. I think it could work out well in case Nelson is traded any time before the start of next season or Roy breaks up the "Helicopter Line". There is definite upside there.

If Holmy Does Play Dat, that would be pretty big. A 25-goal, 60-point, 2-way winger who complements Barzal and Horvat is a possible outcome. Just saying...
I think Holmstrom fits there because he can skate and has good instincts but can’t really create any opportunities for himself. They really just need someone who can skate and win puck battles in the corners to get the puck to 13 and 14 so they can cook. Still think Gauthier should have gotten a shot there but what do I know.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The cap is expected to go up to $87.7M next season, which is a $4.2M increase.

That's correct. That comment about the 1M was erroneous as I have been using the CapFriendly number of 87.5M for 24-25 which takes this into account.

So actually the Isles would need the cap to go up the 4M max estimation just to have about 6.8M of space. That's not good and thus the rest of my post about a "major retooling" this offseason not being possible still applies.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I am not sure if 29-14-13 is a long-term thing.

I do like 18 and 10 playing together and between JGP that could be an effective line.

I do think they'll go on a run here and I believe Tarasenko will be an Islander...
IMO, LL wants Pinto and he has done it before with Horvat, where he moved a first and a tough contract and got an upgrade.

JGP
2024 1st (top 3 protected)
2025 2nd
Wahlstrom
for
Tarasenko (no retention needed)
Pinto
If you add Bolduc or Aho it could be the deal. He might be after Chychrun…

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
If that’s considered a re-tool, then there are 31 other teams that have also re-tooled over the last couple years.
That's CORRECT

Which is why comparing the 2 is DUMB

Heck, trade everyone, bring up the entire Bridgeport roster, rework the contracts to hit the minimum and sit back and draft 40 players in the next two years. Will that be a good enough RE-BUILD for you?

Reactions: Potvottier

SI

Feb 16, 2013
A win tonight is huge and if they do I would like to see LL make the move for Tarasenko - it will not cost the Isles a first and it is someone I would like to see them retain.

I am still a believer - look at the schedule moving towards the deadline. I do not think the Caps are a threat- Flyers can be caught, Pens are ?, and the Devils lost a big one last night.

Flyers
  • OTT
  • STL
  • FLA
  • TBY
Devils
  • LAK
  • FLA
  • STL
  • CAR
Both teams could go 1-3 and if the Isles go 3-1 - hell they could go 4-0 if they can beat the Bruins tonight.

Isles would be 70pts/63GP
Flyers would be 71pts/65 GP
Devils would be 66 pts/64 GP

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Who knew bumping Engvall down to the third line where he belongs and shifting Holmstrom to the RW where he’s historically been more comfortable would yield greater results from the two of them?
Coach R did

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Even if they win tonight, penciling them in for an automatic 4-0 stretch (6-0 stretch overall) makes me think we have not learned our lesson from the last two years of gameplay.
If they win tonight - they have the Blues at Home, then San Jose and Anaheim - all 3 very winnable games.

And I am not penciling - it was conditional - IF they can do this, then with 19 games left they would control their own destiny to finish 3rd place in the Metro.

And I believe the results have not been there but the process and the system has been much much better - I believe the results will come. With a win tonight, I want Tarasenko - moving Nelson and Pageau and Cizikas back down then move Maclean to Zeeker’s left and see how that rides

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Evgeny Kuznetsov on waivers, his cap hit is a problem, but this smells like something Lou would be interested, especially with Nelson shifting to wing as of late.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Evgeny Kuznetsov on waivers, his cap hit is a problem, but this smells like something Lou would be interested, especially with Nelson shifting to wing as of late.
If Kuznetsov wasn’t a frequent visitor to the program I think Lou would consider him. Clubhouse chemistry and character mean a lot to Lou.

Reactions: PWJunior

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If he goes unclaimed his contract is being terminated. I’d gladly bring him in on a cheap 1-2 year deal. Those are chances we need to take. But it’s gotta be cheap to be worth the risk. We have Varly Sorokin and Romanov. He’ll be fine.

As far as claiming him I wouldn’t hold my breath. He has 2 years at almost $8mil. Too much

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
If they win tonight - they have the Blues at Home, then San Jose and Anaheim - all 3 very winnable games.

And I am not penciling - it was conditional - IF they can do this, then with 19 games left they would control their own destiny to finish 3rd place in the Metro.

And I believe the results have not been there but the process and the system has been much much better - I believe the results will come. With a win tonight, I want Tarasenko - moving Nelson and Pageau and Cizikas back down then move Maclean to Zeeker’s left and see how that rides

I'm not saying it can't happen but this team has only managed one winning streak of 4 games and their second best was one winning streak of 3 games. They haven't been able to string games together all season, unless we're talking about the loss column. I'm not optimistic but I'm hoping they can finally put it together. It's now or never.

I'd be a little surprised just given his history.

If Kuznetsov wasn’t a frequent visitor to the program I think Lou would consider him. Clubhouse chemistry and character mean a lot to Lou.

The only way it happens is if Lamoriello believes his Russians will help keep him on the straight and narrow. I don't see it happening though, unless Pageau is moved.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I'm not saying it can't happen but this team has only managed one winning streak of 4 games and their second best was one winning streak of 3 games. They haven't been able to string games together all season, unless we're talking about the loss column. I'm not optimistic but I'm hoping they can finally put it together. It's now or never.

I'd be a little surprised just given his history.

The only way it happens is if Lamoriello believes his Russians will help keep him on the straight and narrow. I don't see it happening though, unless Pageau is moved.
They certainly have not proved that they can do it, but again I am encouraged by what Roy's has brought into the group - changes, process, and system, albeit it has not translated into points - IMO, they will go on a run here.

Back to my point, if they are able to secure 2 points tonight against the Bruins, then I would like Lou to add Tarasenko and see how the next 20 games go.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Seems like he has a problem. His game has fallen off a cliff.

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
When we debate re-tool versus re-build, let's not forget that we ALREADY have done a re-tool, as new players inserted into the lineup from the day Lambert took over:

Holmstrom
Horvat
Fasching
Romanov
Reilly
Bortuzzo
Bolduc
Engvall
MacLean
Aho
Gauthier

I think it's fair to say this IS a re-tool, but not a re-build. And I'm not counting those who got a cup of coffee like Koivula or Dufour.
We certainly are a different team than last year, and i like the changes.

I don't think it was enough to put us in the contender category, but that remains a mystery. If Sorokin gets hot... if Holmstrom is the real deal... if we pick up another player at the deadline... if Roy takes his shoe off and beats an opposing fan with it... we just never know!

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
This board is amusing, it can’t be denied.

Lose some games and nearly everyone is for sale. Win a few and we need to add at the TDL (using what assets is anyone’s guess).

Please Lou, I don’t ask for a lot but is doing nothing too much?
A couple of good days on the out of town scoreboard and people see things differently.

Reactions: The Real JT

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
This board is amusing, it can’t be denied.

Lose some games and nearly everyone is for sale. Win a few and we need to add at the TDL (using what assets is anyone’s guess).
But it’s rarely the same person saying both things. If Person A on HFIsles says sell and Person B on HFIsles says buy, you can’t use that to say “oh, this board is so silly.”

Just a pet peeve of mine, and people do this all the time across all walks of life.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
But it’s rarely the same person saying both things. If Person A on HFIsles says sell and Person B on HFIsles says buy, you can’t use that to say “oh, this board is so silly.”

Just a pet peeve of mine, and people do this all the time across all walks of life.
I think you missed my point.

Both sides have fans that project our ups and downs as signs of the apocalypse or verification of our destiny to be a viable contender. There is a middle ground.

My take: We’re mediocre with a solid core of talent. Filling in the gaps will take more than a deadline deal, a deal that will hurt the team long term. The retool should have started with trading Mayfield and letting Engvall walk (or at least signing him to a way shorter deal).

Once again, Lou forgot to consult me.

Reactions: Ishkabible

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site

So true ! I for one, still feels this team needs to shed some veterans in place of younger legs and that as much as I love winning games over losing them, I’m not swayed that this team is good enough to make playoffs. I felt the same way last season in November and was wrong thanks to a Pittsburg melt down but I just don’t see a repeat unless something monumental happens by March 8th

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think you missed my point.

Both sides have fans that project our ups and downs as signs of the apocalypse or verification of our destiny to be a viable contender. There is a middle ground.

My take: We’re mediocre with a solid core of talent. Filling in the gaps will take more than a deadline deal, a deal that will hurt the team long term. The retool should have started with trading Mayfield and letting Engvall walk (or at least signing him to a way shorter deal).

Once again, Lou forgot to consult me.
Wouldn’t that actually mean we have a mediocre core of talent?

Let me put it another way. If Patrick Roy were our coach from Game 1 this team might be WC1 now. Nothing more.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

Let me put it another way. If Patrick Roy were our coach from Game 1 this team might be WC1 now. Nothing more.
I’d say our core is very good but definitely not elite. It’s enough to be a contender if the remainder of the squad had above average talent and grit without any glaring holes in the roster of which we have more than a few right now.

Reactions: MJF and PWJunior

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

What if we actually have a core of mediocre posters . . . as Ogre said, what if D O G actually spelled Cat?

Let me put it another way.

If I can think of one . . . :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Levi Walking Bear
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad