Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
You keep telling us how much you believe in those players - The "core" of the team. However you keep missing the most important point...Why if all those players are so great, and in the prime of their careers, are the Isles struggling to make the playoffs yet again?

I love almost every single Islander playing on this roster, but there's a difference in loving them...And them being good enough to matchup against the very best teams in the league.

So sure I love Barzal, Horval, Nelson, Dobson, and Sorokin...But I'd trade them all to get a handful of other "cores" around the league including Colorado, Florida, Edmonton, Vegas, etc. We have good talent...They have elite talent, and that is proven where it matters most - The standings (and championships).

Never said I wanted Boudeau. I might've taken him over Lambert, but he would never be a target of mine. I like and support Roy (but I still don't think this is the right roster for him to ultimately succeed with).

This is kinda the whole point. Yes the standings don't lie and yes the east is a mess this year and yet...The Isles are behind a totally average team in the Flyers (who might even be a seller at the deadline despite being a playoff spot). No matter what metric you use that is bad.
Let's break this down -

I think you care more about being right than anything else, but let's address your post -

The core of this team has - has elite talent - Sorokin is elite, Dobson is elite, Barzal is elite. Sorokin is a top 5 goalie in this league, Dobson may finish with 70+ assists - more than Makar, Fox, Karlsson, and McAvoy, and Barzal has found another level to his game, his speed, his speed with the puck on his stick, his willingness and confidence in his shot, and now his tenacity away from the puck has been amazing to witness this season.

You build around that - they have struggled the last 2 seasons to make the playoffs - last year they went on a heater and made it and this year they blew about 20 points with not being able to close out games, but they are within striking distance of 3RD place in the Metro, which would be playing through Carolina and possibly the Rangers to get into the conference finals.

Maybe it was the coaching, the system, the process that's been the problem the last season and half - maybe it got stagnant and they needed a fresh voice and now that has been addressed... Roy is now implementing an entirely new system "ON THE f***ING FLY" one that is about aggressive hockey and focused on possession.

Wanting another Core - do you mean you want Eichel? McDavid? Mackinnon? Barkov? Tkachuk? Who wouldn't want those players, but THOSE PLAYERS ARE NOT AVAILABLE! And when they were, i.e., Tkachuk - they did not want to come here.

And if you mean blowing this up and starting again, which is f***ing stupid - there is no guarantee that you get those players; it doesn't mean those high picks easily turn into S-tier players, i.e., Nolan Patrick, Nico Hischier, Patrik Laine, Kappo Kakko, Alex Lafreniere, PDL, Juolevi, Pulijaarvi, Dylan Strome, Kotkaniemi, Dach, Byram, Turcotte, Yakupov, Murray, Galchenyuk, Drouin, Bennett, etc.

And Edmonton and Florida have no championships.

And on BOUDREAU - yes, you did.

And let's finish on the standings - because I would really like to understand your point.
The Devils are flawed - hurt - and need a solution in net; they have a tough stretch of games too. Washington and the Penguins are just clinging on, and the Flyers are a couple of seasons ahead and this success is most likely not sustainable, so they are very catchable... the ISLES - IF they have flipped the switch here - can go on a run and make the 3rd seed. I do NOT understand what you mean by what METRIC I use - you win or you lose that's it. It's certainly not a "they suck and they have a better record than us so that means we suck more" METRIC.

I wonder if you have ever played a sport before? Or if you only look at sports through the lens of a FAN.

Adversity and obstacles are part of a team's journey... nothing is definitive. There are things like overcoming those adversities and obstacles. Who the team was in January or February is very different than who they can be in March and April and certainly in May or June. There is momentum, ebbs and flow, peaking at the right time.

Their path via 3rd in the Metro means - Carolina and then the winner of NYR & whomever the wildcards are Detroit or Tampa Bay. HOW does that prospect not excite you as an Islander fan?

And if you come back at me with well they are not good enough to win the CUP - why are you even watching the game?

Last edited:

SI

Feb 16, 2013
You shouldn’t really be trying to move the needle at the deadline, A.) It’s extremely difficult to navigate from a cap perspective B.) You’re not giving your addition adequate time to adjust to their new environment

You’re really just looking to plug holes, and right now the Islanders probably need insurance down the middle of the ice if they’re set on running Nelson-Horvat-Barzal as their top line (which I think they should be).

An injury to Pageau or Cizikas completely decimates their middle six and forces them to break up the top line.

Engvall’s where he needs to be on the third line and they aren’t going to push Lee to the 4th line, so someone like Vatrano makes no sense.

NYI has scouted SJS, I’m sure they are aware of what Duclair is at the point, however I wonder if they would look at Granlund who’s centering their 1st line and all he has done is collect points. Would be a swiss army knife middle six option, but SJS would likely need to retain 50%.
Isles play the Blues Tuesday night @ UBS - it would be amazing to see LL not allow Buch to leave town. Mayfield may be willing to waive NTC to play home. It will take more than that, but ISLES need top 6 scorers not Duclairs or Granlunds IMO. Tarasenko or Buch.

Arsenalogist24

Dec 10, 2013
Trade and sign with Pinto is absolutely a trade I’d do.

This week was a hell of a turn around right as I was in the trade em away category.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
IB is hinting at Pinto on Twitter. Just saying.
I have this crazy feeling LL is going to pull a massive deal and land Pinto.
I think this summer when there was difficulty with signing him - there was some smoke about him being available - maybe Staios and the gambling stuff really turn them off.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
the Devils lose to the Kings and the Caps lose to Arizona.

• Flyers 71 pts 62 GP
  • Isles 66 pts 60 GP
  • Caps 65 pts 60 GP
  • Pens 64 pts 58 GP
  • Devils 64 pts 61 GP
The next few games this week - there is a real chance that the Isles claim 3rd in the Metro by next week.

Isles
  • Blues 3/5 - hopefully they can capitalize on the Blues playing back-to-back night
  • @ SJ 3/7
  • @ Anaheim 3/10
Flyers
  • vs. St.L 3/4
  • @ FLA 3/7
  • @ TBY 3/9
Devils
  • FLA 3/5
  • STL 3/7
  • @ CAR 3/9
Pens
  • @ EDM 3/3
  • CBS 3/5
  • WAS 3/7
  • @ BOS 3/9
  • EDM 3/10
CAPS
  • @ Pitt 3/7
  • CHI 3/9
  • @ WPG 3/11

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Also Norris just reiinjured his shoulder for the third time, it’s very possible he never returns to the form that got him that contract. I can’t imagine a scenario where it makes sense to trade your 23 year old 2C unless you’re getting another one back… maybe they like ishkhakov? They’re the same age though lolol

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
Another thing if they’re truly looking at Pinto: would make a ton of sense as to why they’ve recently decided to give 29-14-13 a go. Pageau goes back to OTT in a package, Pinto can plug right in as your 2C and Cizikas 3C, suddenly you have the makings of a pretty formidable forward group.

Reactions: Top Corner

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
If that tweet can be verified and he gets traded, he’s automatically my favorite Islander.
IMG_2340.png

Age 13 maybe?

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Another thing if they’re truly looking at Pinto: would make a ton of sense as to why they’ve recently decided to give 29-14-13 a go. Pageau goes back to OTT in a package, Pinto can plug right in as your 2C and Cizikas 3C, suddenly you have the makings of a pretty formidable forward group.
I mean… what are we looking at here? Pageau, Dufour, 2 firsts and a second for Pinto and Tarasenko? Still feels like not enough from us…

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
That sounds like waaay too much
Not sure Pageau or Dufour really have any value, they just seem like they could go back because they’re French Canadian and the salary lines up. And the only reason I could see them moving Pinto is because he has told them he’s not going to sign long term in Canada, so makes sense we would send back a couple of local dudes.

Tarasenko probably worth a second and pinto is definitely worth more than a first. If we had him everyone would say he’s untouchable. I honestly think this is about right.

Nelson - Horvat - Barzal
Palmieri - Pinto- Tarasenko
Engvall - Cizikas - Holmstrom
Lee - Maclean - Clutterbuck

Last edited:

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Not sure Pageau or Dufour really have any value, they just seem like they could go back because they’re French Canadian and the salary lines up. And the only reason I could see them moving Pinto is because he has told them he’s not going to sign long term in Canada, so makes sense we would send back a couple of local dudes.

Tarasenko probably worth a second and pinto is definitely worth more than a first. If we had him everyone would say he’s untouchable. I honestly think this is about right.

Nelson - Horvat - Barzal
Palmieri - Pinto- Tarasenko
Engvall - Cizikas - Holmstrom
Lee - Maclean - Clutterbuck

It's fun to dream...that'd be the most top six firepower we've had for...the majority of my lifetime.

Reactions: impaaaaaact
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad