Roster Building XXI: It Gon' Go Down.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Isn’t it a touch odd that none of the Canes’ UFAs re-signed mid-season? Surely they could have extended, say, Martinook the heart and soul guy?

Maybe no one wanted to, maybe in-season negotiation isn’t something the Canes do, I just find it weird that with so much roster uncertainty upcoming for the summer of 2024, they didn’t try to mitigate some of it.

Maybe they did. No idea. But this isnt close to an ideal situation.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
?? - Aho - ??
Svech - Jarvis - ??
?? - ?? - ??
Lemuix - Staal - Fast

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Chatfield
?? - ??

If we cut out Necas, KK, Kuz....

Tell me again it's not a rebuild.

Name I'm interested in

I mean we are getting to the point where we are looking at a bit of a blow-up the roster kind of summer. And if we are going there, might as well entertain the idea of putting together a package for a major trade to load up our top lines.

Reactions: cptjeff

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Another thought, we knew that DW was leaving and he wasn't given the ability to sign players.

I don't think DW's departure was planned. Remember the interviews from Tulsky the few days afterwards? He was clearly caught off guard by the move. I think there was a good chance that DW would have signed a short-term deal, but whatever happened regarding the RBA contract that caused it to stumble at the end caused DW to move on.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I don't think DW's departure was planned. Remember the interviews from Tulsky the few days afterwards? He was clearly caught off guard by the move. I think there was a good chance that DW would have signed a short-term deal, but whatever happened regarding the RBA contract that caused it to stumble at the end caused DW to move on.
Maybe saving all contract negotiations til the last minute isn't a wise business decision by Dundon. Hope he learns, but doubtful anything changes.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Maybe saving all contract negotiations til the last minute isn't a wise business decision by Dundon. Hope he learns, but doubtful anything changes.

I don't think he's saving it to the last minute. I think he's using every minute he has trying to get the best deal for him/his team. Unfortunately, I don't think he takes the opposing parties needs/wants into account while doing so, leaving situations like this one.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
I think it might have played a part, he probably didn’t want to go through it after having just seen it with Rod. I don’t blame him one bit given the offseason we have. Imagine having that job, and also have to negotiate with Dundon for your own job at the same time? By all accounts he was already underpaid and overworked here.

Reactions: cptjeff

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I think if we swing and miss on Stamkos/Marchessault you have to put together a strong package or two of futures to pry free players that would maybe have been thought to be unavailable.

They have to be careful because the position this team has been in and the expectations that have been set, the fan base and the core guys in the room won’t take a wasted year. No one is going to accept an excuse of things just didn’t line up how we wanted them to.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
?? - Aho - ??
Svech - Jarvis - ??
?? - ?? - ??
Lemuix - Staal - Fast

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Chatfield
?? - ??

If we cut out Necas, KK, Kuz....

Tell me again it's not a rebuild.

Name I'm interested in

That’s probably why we won’t cut out all three of those. Sign Comtois, talk Necas off the ledge and we have enough forwards. Not a bad team. Swap Kk for a defenseman and sign a fourth liner for cheap. Kuzy will have to ride out a year I think. If he’s in good shape we’re a better team, and if we fall short he’s a rental to trade. Is will be Burns and Orlov.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Well that sucks, but I'm glad we got the 3rd without having to give Tampa the 8th year.

Let's see what we can do with this extra cap space. In the same way Tampa was able to swoop for Guentzel because of the space they cleared, we've now got some room to swoop in on an unexpected deal being it a free agent or taking on a contract ala the Patches deal. They'll spend the money somewhere.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Disappointed that we weren't able to get it done with Guentzel, but not upset. We're only a defenceman away from basically the same team that has been consistently one of the best in the league.
Not quite sure I agree there...Orlov - Chatty is a decent downgrade from Pesce - Skjei, as will the resulting 3rd pair. We're also down 2 top 6 forwards (Bunting & TT had 2nd line production even if not ideal), plus the Necas situation. Freddie may not be able to handle a full season and Kooch is still inconsistent at best. We're a handful away from being "basically the same" team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad