Roster Building XXI: It Gon' Go Down.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I have accepted the fact that we’re in for a full on step back year:

• Guentzel not signing
• Necas wants out
• No 2C in sight
• Last year of Burns, Andersen, Kuznetsov
• Nikishin one year out still

Sign one year deals to plug immediate holes, see if any long term quality pieces shake lose throughout the year/at the deadline, try again next summer to build back up with premium pieces.

Justicebork

Jul 13, 2022
Yeah, I'm mentally ready to call this is a slight retool, and we will still make the playoffs next year. The core is sound and very young. Once again I love our draft class.

I wish we were as good between the draft and opening day as we are the other 9 months of the year.

And we have money to spend this summer considering JG and the 2nd pair are not returning. We will be more of the scrappy upstart we were 5 years ago.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I’m ok
Yeah, I'm mentally ready to call this is a slight retool, and we will still make the playoffs next year. The core is sound and very young. Once again I love our draft class.

I wish we were as good between the draft and opening day as we are the other 9 months of the year.

And we have money to spend this summer considering JG and the 2nd pair are not returning. We will be more of the scrappy upstart we were 5 years ago.
Notwithstanding the fact that I have season tickets I’m ok with the team taking a step back and Not making the playoffs next year. Get a high draft pick and setup for another run.

Reactions: Bridgeburner96

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

I wish we were as good between the draft second round and opening day as we are the other 9 months of the year.

FTFY!!

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Cmon. As a group I think we’ve only just started warming up. Wait till Monday!

Why wait? Get your negativity on today!

Jokes aside, I expect Monday will bring a lot of "I hear the Canes are one possible landing place for [insert quality UFA here]," none of whom we'll get. I think by bedtime Monday night we'll have signed 1 or 2 middling (and helpful) guys, but Guentzel, Skjei, and Pesce will be elsewhere. And we'll still have Necas and Koko.

And--did I miss something, or aren't Jarvis and Drury still RFAs? We worried about offer sheets for either of them?

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I heard that the Leafs may non-tender Liljegren after they sign Tanev. I bet the Canes look into him and, if they sign him, have both him and Chatfield compete for the last top-4 spot. In fact, I'd try to get both him and Kylington signed ASAP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daeavorn

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
I heard that the Leafs may non-tender Liljegren after they sign Tanev. I bet the Canes look into him and, if they sign him, have both him and Chatfield compete for the last top-4 spot. In fact, I'd try to get both him and Kylington signed ASAP.
Burns, Chatfield and Liljegren sounds pretty bad down the right side.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Burns, Chatfield and Liljegren sounds pretty bad down the right side.

I really like Liljegren's game. I watched a lot of Leafs games this year, and there were long stretches where Liljegren felt like the most mobile defenseman that Toronto had. That defensive group had a lot of trouble with moving the puck, but Liljegren's quite talented in that regard. He has had some bad luck with injuries, but he's a very good player. He'd likely start on a 3rd pairing but has the chops to play in a top-4. To be safe, maybe trade for Ferraro or sign a stay-at-home guy like Dillon on the left if you go that route.

Slavin-Burns
Orlov-Chatfield
Ferraro-Liljegren
Kylington

Last edited:
Reactions: Daeavorn

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
IMG_3818.jpeg

Didn’t see this mentioned that a Necas baby had reached the contract stage with the Jackets. He and DW may have had a decent relationship after all.

I have trouble seeing Nykki loving Columbus but she has a music and influencer career of her own underway. They’re doing joint interviews and podcasts about his career and hers. She busts his chops a lot.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So, since we f***ed up the Guentzel situation and apparently have an unhappy Necas to deal with, what's the plan from here on out?

I'm assuming we'll still be signing Slavin to that great deal on the 1st. And before the off-season began, Jarvis was listed as our #1 priority, but I've heard nothing about how that's progressing.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
We didn’t screw up the Guentzel situation, he didn’t want to stay.

Depends on who you believe. He claimed he wanted to stay, every indication was that both sides were working on a deal, and because we waited too long to meet his request, he moved on.

If he didn’t want to stay, there wouldn’t have been work from both sides in attempting to get a deal done.

Reactions: cptjeff

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Depends on who you believe. He claimed he wanted to stay, every indication was that both sides were working on a deal, and because we waited too long to meet his request, he moved on.

If he didn’t want to stay, there wouldn’t have been work from both sides in attempting to get a deal done.
Didn’t trocheck the same things and as it turned out he didn’t want to stay either.

Taking too long to go up 150k a year is nonsensical. We are talking less than 2% of the total contract.

Just sounds like an excuse

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
When the season ended, I thought the Canes wouldn't let both Guentzel AND Necas go because that would hurt our forward depth way too much (and without any seemingly good replacements that are likely this summer), but here we are looking at the very real possibility of losing both.

Also, our 2C situation is still bad.

They should have, or should (if they actually keep Necas) give him a try at the 2C spot. He's wanted to be a centerman, and we need a 2C. Why not see how he does after getting experience? Is he really gonna be a downgrade compared to what we've had after Trocheck?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
When the season ended, I thought the Canes wouldn't let both Guentzel AND Necas go because that would hurt our forward depth way too much (and without any seemingly good replacements that are likely this summer), but here we are looking at the very real possibility of losing both.

Also, our 2C situation is still bad.

They should have, or should (if they actually keep Necas) give him a try at the 2C spot. He's wanted to be a centerman, and we need a 2C. Why not see how he does after getting experience? Is he really gonna be a downgrade compared to what we've had after Trocheck?
Why would further downgrading the 2c be better for us? Necas doesn’t show much that says he can play center at this level. He doesn’t win FOs, he isn’t defensively responsible, his positioning wouldnt suggest he is getting himself into good position for the next play or transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay