Roster Building XXI: It Gon' Go Down.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I doubt we'd be high on the list of Stamkos suitors should it really come to pass, but it'd be neat.

Not sure about Stamkos but I'd go all in on his kid. Not only was I really impressed with his play when I saw him on TV, but him being that young would extend our window for probably 25+ years.

Gotta pass on Hedman's kid; the family probably needs to start saving for college.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Getting a Guentzel deal done and an elite forward prospect with the #4 pick is the perfect model for roster construction and the balance of building a win now competitor and extending a window. Tulsky coming out goated style if that’s the case.

I'm not going to shower with praise too early, but what I like about this possibility is that the Canes are attempting to make lemonade out of lemons. Normally a young top-6er requesting a trade is a very difficult pickle to get out of for a franchise, but identifying Guentzel as a candidate early, locking him in at the deadline, and (it seems) like having an extension ready opens up a trade like this.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
8x8 a no brainer and they must really have their eye on someone in the top half of the draft

I think they see teams fearful of the KHL again and plan to yet again exploit that with Demidov or Silayev. I could be wrong about that, though. Lindstrom is also incredibly intriguing as far as physical traits are concerned.

Reactions: Tryamw and Daeavorn

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Damn Lucas Nola is reporting it? I've never seen him be wrong before.
have you known him to be right?

The Carolina Hurricanes have had the full-court press on all week trying to bridge the gap, and according to league sources, increased their latest offer to eight years at $8 million per season. That’s in the ballpark, I believe, of what Guentzel’s camp originally wanted when this discussion began several weeks ago.

But as of Friday morning, the Canes were still waiting for an answer from Guentzel’s camp, led by veteran agent Ben Hankinson. So we’ll see where this goes, but I wonder if it might be too alluring for Guentzel to dip his toes into free agency Monday while still leaving the door open on a Hurricanes return, knowing what’s on the table from them.

I’m not sure how this one will end, but it’s in a delicate and fascinating place.

There are whispers that Vancouver might be willing to go seven years and $9 million a season for Guentzel, but that’s unconfirmed at this point. Obviously there would be a long list of suitors for Guentzel regardless if he goes to market.

Meanwhile, the Hurricanes were still holding out hope on pending UFA defensemen Brady Skjei and Brett Pesce, circling back with those two respective camps over the past 24 hours with a renewed effort. As I’ve said before, I think Pesce is going to market. Skjei probably is, too, but there’s still a chance there for Carolina.

If Skjei does go to market, I would expect the Nashville Predators to be in there aggressively in their attempt to replace Ryan McDonagh.
Lebrun's The Athletic write up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stickpucker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad