Confirmed Trade: [MTL/NJD] Johnathan Kovacevic for a 2026 conditional 4th round pick (best of the 3)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Not that it's a big issue, but the Devils handcuff themselves a bit by being unable to trade any of the 3 4th rounders for two seasons.

They have traded “earliest of the three”. They can still trade “second earliest of the three” and “latest of the three”.

Kinda seems to me like this trade brings the Devils most of the best qualities of the outbound Bahl and Smith and not much of the negative ones.

Reactions: dgibb10 and PWiz30

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Good 5-6-7 D man pick up by New Jersey for not much. But could he have fetched a 2nd at some point ? No. A third on a good day. So it's a 4th, big deal.

Wish him luck, seemes like a good guy and well liked by his teammates.

Reactions: jsol

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Plus-11 with 42 pm playing for the Canadians. Already an upgrade to last year's blueline in NJ. Assuming with his size there's some PK ability too?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
He's a fine #6 option but I figured of all the D he'd be the most likely to be lost on waivers. I'm surprised they got that high a pick

Congrats Devils you got a good one, this is the kind of guy that will shine come playoff time imo
I'd hardly say shine, my biggest knock on him as he's not nearly as physical as he should be with his size

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
He's a fine #6 option but I figured of all the D he'd be the most likely to be lost on waivers. I'm surprised they got that high a pick

I'd hardly say shine, my biggest knock on him as he's not nearly as physical as he should be with his size

a 4th round pick two years from now might as well be nothing

I can see a deal around Mercer+Nemec for Tkachuk. Makes a ton of sense if Ottawa is actually open to move him.

that type of deal makes absolutely 0.0% sense for New Jersey.

Reactions: Zubrus Coffee Maker

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
I really liked Kovacevic, he's trading because of the logjam. That's it. Nothing to say against him.

The fun part is that the Devils’ right side is logjammed too. They just traded RD Marino for picks because they’ve got too many RD (with Pesce seemingly a clock strike away).

A player with Kovacevic’s skill set on LD would probably secure a bottom-pairing role. On RD, he seemingly stands to be press box by default. Because he doesn’t outrank Hamilton, Necas, or Pesce.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Honestly, good pick up by NJ. It's probably a round later than I would've hoped for, but just like Edmundson last year it was a necessity to move out bodies. Win-Win.

Good luck Kovy

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Seems like a good dude, not super talented with the puck but still a good player and he ain't shy at all to play a physical game

Solid #7 defenseman/"spare tire" player that can come in and fill a hole

I liked him on the team, but we're now on with what, like 10 defensemen it feels like?

Reactions: beekay414

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Not that it makes a huge difference but NJ owns three 4th rounders in 2026 and the Habs are getting whichever is earliest:

Not surprised by this as Hughes is a stickler for whatever add-ons he can get. Only thing unexpected is that he didn’t draw up a litany of contractual clauses to express it.
The condition of highest makes me think the draft number is the highest and not the lowest which is the . I wish it would read Montreal choice of the three teamss

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Seems like a good dude, not super talented with the puck but still a good player and he ain't shy at all to play a physical game

Solid #7 defenseman/"spare tire" player that can come in and fill a hole

I liked him on the team, but we're now on with what, like 10 defensemen it feels like?
Don't see Engstrom or Reinbacher as realistic options next year so basically
left side: Guhle, Hutson, Matheson, Xhekaj, Struble, Harris
right side: Savard, Barron, Mailloux

One of Mailloux or Hutson starts in Laval just due to numbers/waivers, but even with that they still need to move a lefty.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2