Confirmed with Link: Mathieu Joseph traded to Blues

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Is this Staios blinking wrt to the Pinto negotiation.. Maybe .. I am sure Pinto's rep would have given Staios a bit of time if Staios thought he had options to move Joseph.
I think it is clear that Staios didn't want this summer to be a repeat of last one.

This was the price to pay to ensure that cap space wasn't going to be an issue wrt Pinto.

Not sure I'd call it blinking but that isn't an important detail.

The important is that we do not want to be stuck in another quagmire so tough decisions have to be made. This is one of them.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Just seeing the news... I'm pretty sure we've heard rumblings about Joseph contributing to the party attitude in the room.

I have no idea how true that is, but may be a reason to get him gone now if we're trying to legitimately change this teams attitude and culture
If true I agree... would not surprise me there was some motivation besides $ to move him

I think it is clear that Staios didn't want this summer to be a repeat of last one.

This was the price to pay to ensure that cap space wasn't going to be an issue wrt Pinto.

Not sure I'd call it blinking but that isn't an important detail.

The important is that we do not want to be stuck in another quagmire so tough decisions have to be made. This is one of them.
Good point; Stability is a word we have heard

Reactions: Butchy Dakkar

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Just seeing the news... I'm pretty sure we've heard rumblings about Joseph contributing to the party attitude in the room.

I have no idea how true that is, but may be a reason to get him gone now if we're trying to legitimately change this teams attitude and culture
It's like the 2006-2008 Sens without the success. Love those partying rumours.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Joseph was fantastic for the first quarter or third of the season and then became a total passenger except for a game here or there the rest of the year.

It's disappointing that they had to pay to offload him, but there is probably a reason they desperately wanted him gone.

Clean house, see what happens. If the sens are indeed taking losses to move players they feel are detrimental to the locker room then we could very well see a big change in this team next season.

Or maybe staios is in over his head and doesn't know what he's doing.

Let's hope for the best. This season will he defining for this version of the senators. Either thr start of something glorious, or the end of another shitty chapter.

Seems he can get lots of help here for free. Do the better GMs listen to the fans and let that drive their decisions?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Or could it be that Sens fans overvalued their players? It seems like a lot of people think this team was filled with good players who held value and all the losing was just... bad luck?
I don’t think that’s the issue here and is perhaps a little disingenuous.

I think it would be more appropriate for someone to make an argument around the idea that Amadio replaced Joseph and that Amadio is the better player.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Don't forget about the silky smooth playmaker Stephane Da Costa or just needs a chance to QB the PP Christian Wolanin.
Yost going to bat for Weircioch over and over and over again will never not be funny.

What a total idiot haha

One of the OGs hasn't been brought up: Brandon Bochenski! Been a while, maybe it was 100% tongue-in-cheek?

Reactions: Relapsing

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I don't know what to tell you. They wanted and valued Perron. With Joseph gone, their cap sheet is now in good shape through to the end of 25/26.

The cap argument is just a weird one to make considering we're not any better off than we were before July 1st.

There are reasons Staios prefers Perron, but that obviously isn't one of them.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
LOL. Joseph had 16:28 TOI/G last year. I’m pretty sure that not all of those minutes were on the PK.

This isn’t really a big push to make an argument to keep Joseph so much, but it seems like its Amadio who is replacing Joseph.

Plus, speed is useful in other facets of the game besides PK like to get behind defenders and stretch a defense which you seem to be ignoring for whatever reason (I edited/added to my post btw).
Well Joseph was pretty useless at 5v5, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think Joseph is probably worth somewhere between 2.25 to 2.75 on the open market so he's overpaid but not by much, I just find him very inconsistent (to be expect I guess).

I found he was a good penalty killer, but not good defensive player 5v5. He adds speed at ES but not really much beyond that.

I'd have kept him around, I prefer Amidio but not so much that I'd pay a third to make that swap,

Reactions: DrEasy

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Thats what I am thinking.
It seems like a plausible explanation. He seems pretty overrated around here and there is a fair argument to be made that he is overpaid. But like people have said he does have some valuable attributes to his game, he can be a serviceable player and his contract isn't terrible.

If we are simply looking at his on ice ability and his contract, it doesn't make a lot of sense that a team would demand a 3rd round pick to take on his contract. Given that it cost a third and he has been on the market for a while that suggests that teams likely wanted an even higher compensation to take on his contract.

If he has a bad reputation around the league then that could explain this.

Not sure if it is of consequence but his brother didn't receive a qualifying offer and hasn't been signed yet. Might be meaningless but there is an outside chance that neither have a great reputation in the league.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
Joseph had 11 goals and 35 points last year.

It wouldn't be that hard to replace those kind of numbers. Plus, to me, Joseph was skating all over the place without creating that many scoring chances. The extra speedy effort seemed unnecessary and took more of our possession time.

Reactions: LiseL

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
if they don't make the playoffs this year that for sure will happen.

this is the new managements warning shot.

If they don't make the playoffs, that will be 8 years without the playoffs with most of our players in their mid to late 20s.

It would be a failed core and time to ship everyone out and rebuild. We're not winning the cup with this team at that point.

Chabot would be like almost 30 without ever playing in the playoffs. Batherson would be like 27-28 without ever playing in the playoffs. Brady would be like 26. These guys would just be pure losers at that point.

The whole core would be rotten and traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad