Roster Building XXI: It Gon' Go Down.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
The Canes don't really need the next "the next Skjei" with Orlov in tow, but if the RHD market is too inflated, I could genuinely see the Canes run a deep left-side again, trade for a guy like Ferraro, and run Slavin, Burns, Orlov, and Ferraro as the top-4 in terms of ice time.
I didn't mean that as in a LHD Skjei replacement. We definitely need another RHD just using Skjei as the example for a D with potential who has a few years left at a reasonable cap that we can acquire for futures.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I didn't mean that as in a LHD Skjei replacement. We definitely need another RHD just using Skjei as the example for a D with potential who has a few years left at a reasonable cap that we can acquire for futures.
I mean I agree with him that Orlov was probably brought in last year to be our Skjei replacement this year. And if you ask me, I think we're more looking at a Pesce replacement to pair with Orlov as Chatty (probably on his off-hand) goes to the 3rd line again to mentor Morrow.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
As an outside fan who didn't get to watch as much Canes hockey as I would have liked this past season what is the current opinion of Pesce on your board these days. I have always been a fan and viewed him as a very solid shut down D man but I value the home town take on players.

I have heard Dallas might be in on him.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
As an outside fan who didn't get to watch as much Canes hockey as I would have liked this past season what is the current opinion of Pesce on your board these days. I have always been a fan and viewed him as a very solid shut down D man but I value the home town take on players.

We've offered a 5x5 contract, I think we all sense that he's game is going to take a nose dive earlier due to injuries, he's an absolute unit in shutting down opposing players, but how long till he loses that step is the question.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

He’s great. He’s slowed in the last year or two while not losing effectiveness, but it’s made us all varying levels of concerned about how he’ll age. He’ll be a top 4 guy for whoever signs him for the next year or two, then whoever signs him better hope he keeps it up.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

In short, when healthy, he's one of the best defensive defensemen in the league, and would be held in MUCH higher standing in Raleigh if it weren't for Slavin completely overshadowing him. Won't give you much offensively, but he's excellent at getting the puck away from the net and out of the zone. The problem in recent years has been the staying healthy part, and that he's lost a step in his quickness. Still a great player to have and absolutely can win you a Cup if he stays healthy.

I'll also add this... if it weren't for us being confident that Nikishin was coming over in 2025-26, we'd be showing a decent amount of urgency to bring him back. We aren't going to be able to replace his play next year, and we're going to settle for trying to make due until Nikishin comes over.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

His absence will hurt, but the front office not retaining him was unsurprising.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I do also wonder about Pesce's offensive game. Not even considering numbers, he just didn't feel very capable in the offensive end of the ice last season. At his best, he was certainly competent offensively and could even give some occasional PP time when needed (which it wasn't needed this past season).

There may be some numbers that don't back an offensive decline up, I haven't really looked, but he just felt off in that regard to me. Him being elite defensively and solid in an offensive capacity really juices his value to me. Could just be a blip on the radar or something that will look better in a new situation. Or maybe that is where the deterioration of his game is starting even though he's found ways to adjust defensively. That's all for smarter people than me.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Might be nice to share sources with all the info flowing out there this week.

I think this is the source:

That could be a hint. It could also be an agent trying to drum up interest in his client.

Reactions: DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I do also wonder about Pesce's offensive game. Not even considering numbers, he just didn't feel very capable in the offensive end of the ice last season. At his best, he was certainly competent offensively and could even give some occasional PP time when needed (which it wasn't needed this past season).

There may be some numbers that don't back an offensive decline up, I haven't really looked, but he just felt off in that regard to me. Him being elite defensively and solid in an offensive capacity really juices his value to me. Could just be a blip on the radar or something that will look better in a new situation. Or maybe that is where the deterioration of his game is starting even though he's found ways to adjust defensively. That's all for smarter people than me.
Last year was the first one where he REALLY fell off offensively, though he peaked during the bubble season. Interestingly he was way down on his hits and takeaways as well, but up on his blocked shots, so I'm wondering if that's the first sign of his legs starting to go. IE no longer able to keep up with the better forwards in the league but able to adapt his game to be effective in other ways.

And also since this is silly season let's go ahead and say that any rumored signings or departures need to be backed up by legitimate sources like we usually do. And I'm talking firm rumors, not just speculation.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

I bring this up as Friedman said on his pod yesterday that he assumes Carolina was a team in on Ullmark.

~31:15

Perhaps, they're open to changing the mix in net. There was rumored interest in him previously.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Kk for retained Gibson?
more like Andersen, Kuzy, and a some decent piece for Gibson @ 25% and Vaakanainen.

Anaheim dumps all the salary after this next season and potentially gains two pieces they can flip at the deadline for some mid range pieces. although anaheim may be on Andersen's 15 NTC and Kuzy's 10.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
more like Andersen, Kuzy, and a some decent piece for Gibson @ 25% and Vaakanainen.

Anaheim dumps all the salary after this next season and potentially gains two pieces they can flip at the deadline for some mid range pieces. although anaheim may be on Andersen's 15 NTC and Kuzy's 10.
Andersen had some good years in Anaheim; I'd be surprised if the Ducks were on his 15 team NTC.

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
We have had atleast 70+ goalies the last 4 seasons play 10+ games.

Gibson's GSAx/60 ranking
23-24: 61st
22-23: 60th
21-22: 52nd
20-21: 35th

just aging and getting worst.

Anaheim had abysmal STs this year but they had okay EV defense. they were EV strength for almost 8 times more than SH.

1719428302888.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad