LD Anton Silayev - Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod, KHL (2024, 10th, NJ)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
That's not to say he wouldn't be here earlier. And I didn't mean that to come off sounding like he'd do his two years, sign/loan and then sign another two years over there. His contract is two years, so 26-27 is probably the earliest, but it wouldn't surprise me if he spent 3-4 there. Gritsyuk should be over next year, so may help with the transition make him comfortable coming right over. The devils didn't have an issue with mookie either

But just given the type of player he is, the size of player he is... Wouldn't shock me if there's no hurry to rush him into the league.

A guy like him not stepping into a huge role until he's 22 wouldn't be the most shocking thing
Bigger guys do take longer to cook but it also wouldnt shock me if they try to get him over here after his contract simply because hes playing in the KHL already and a higher ATOI than most his age

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
The Shakir Mukhamadullin replacement

could become a huge steal if he improves even a little bit offensively or be a total waste of a top10 pick if he can't even defend at NHL level

not a fan of drafting defensive dman this early, but let's hope he pans out. Devils core could use a defensive guy that can keep up with Nemec/Luke skate wise

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

could become a huge steal if he improves even a little bit offensively or be a total waste of a top10 pick if he can't even defend at NHL level

not a fan of drafting defensive dman this early, but let's hope he pans out. Devils core could use a defensive guy that can keep up with Nemec/Luke skate wise

Muk cannot defend like Silayev can.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Caser

RUSProspects @ gmail. com
May 21, 2013
Riga
twitter.com
For someone that follows his team, is there a reason he plays his offside? That makes his season even more impressive.
He doesn't always play there, just Torpedo didn't have any other proper option, at least in the first half of the season. So pretty much he played 2nd pairing RD in the first half of the season yet 3rd pairing LD in the second half.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

It definitely bodes well that he’s getting big minutes in the KHL at 17. Pretty much unheard of, so clearly he has enough confidence of Larionov and his staff that the kid can already competently defend.

Reactions: John Pedro

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
He doesn't always play there, just Torpedo didn't have any other proper option, at least in the first half of the season. So pretty much he played 2nd pairing RD in the first half of the season yet 3rd pairing LD in the second half.
Did he regularly play the pk? Hope he becomes a staple on our PK1

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Muk cannot defend like Silayev can.
didn't meant to compare them as players but as boom or bust prospect

It definitely bodes well that he’s getting big minutes in the KHL at 17. Pretty much unheard of, so clearly he has enough confidence of Larionov and his staff that the kid can already competently defend.
that and his size sure is impressive. Hope he can show some offensive ability next season too

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
better options like? Silayev will easily end up better than the 10th player in this draft.
Dickinson and Zeev. Both better offensively and in transition both ways. Theyre both better at pretty much everything than him aside from skating.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Strikes me as a luxury pick for the Devils. Not that he's not worthy of 10th overall but more that they have plenty of young offense to go around. Should be a good stabilizer in the future.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I don’t even care if his offensive game develops. We’ve been missing someone like him since Volchenkov left and he should be way better. Shut em down like Onyx.

Pair him with Nemec or if he’s still comfortable on the right side pair him with Luke.

Hopefully he develops at a quicker pace and he joins the team after his KHL contract is up.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I don’t even care if his offensive game develops. We’ve been missing someone like him since Volchenkov left and he should be way better. Shut em down like Onyx.

Pair him with Nemec or if he’s still comfortable on the right side pair him with Luke.

Hopefully he develops at a quicker pace and he joins the team after his KHL contract is up.

Casey. Luke-Nemec top pair.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Casey. Luke-Nemec top pair.
I love the idea of huge Silayev playing next to the undersized Casey. That would be an awesome pair.

If the Pesce rumors are true someone is going to have to play of their off hand. Or maybe Casey moves to a forward position?

Hughes-Nemec
Pesce-Hamilton
Silayev-Casey

Or

Hughes-Nemec
Silayev-Hamilton
???/Casey-Pesce

??? being the plug in case Casey were to move to forward.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
So impressive to be able to play top four minutes on his offside in the second best league in the world. Not only defending but making plays from the corner up the boards and just seeing the ice from that side, it’s unnatural.

Reactions: evnted

Caser

RUSProspects @ gmail. com
May 21, 2013
Riga
twitter.com
So impressive to be able to play top four minutes on his offside in the second best league in the world. Not only defending but making plays from the corner up the boards and just seeing the ice from that side, it’s unnatural.
I think in general his smarts are very underestimated, might be because a lot of prospect writers watch just shifts, not the game itself and due to that can't exactly understand what kind of game is the team playing and how does he look in comparison to his partners.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I wanted him the most for the Ducks. I don't think I would've ranked him second overall in a general ranking but for a team with plenty of offensive dynamism on the backend, I feel like Silayev is a dream option to reinforce an offensive guy who takes more risks defensively. I think he's going to be an absolute pain in the ass to play against and I do feel he has time to round out his puck moving and offensive decision making.

I think it's a great pick for the Devils.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I love the idea of huge Silayev playing next to the undersized Casey. That would be an awesome pair.

If the Pesce rumors are true someone is going to have to play of their off hand. Or maybe Casey moves to a forward position?

Hughes-Nemec
Pesce-Hamilton
Silayev-Casey

Or

Hughes-Nemec
Silayev-Hamilton
???/Casey-Pesce

??? being the plug in case Casey were to move to forward.

I don’t think Casey’s ever actually moving up. Brining in Pesce on what is likely a hefty deal I think their plan might be to try and move Dougie in like a year or 2. He’s only going to have a 10 team trade list though so not exactly going to be the easiest of things to do

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I wanted him the most for the Ducks. I don't think I would've ranked him second overall in a general ranking but for a team with plenty of offensive dynamism on the backend, I feel like Silayev is a dream option to reinforce an offensive guy who takes more risks defensively. I think he's going to be an absolute pain in the ass to play against and I do feel he has time to round out his puck moving and offensive decision making.

I think it's a great pick for the Devils.

Yeah I think even without the offense ever coming this is a great pick at 10 for us. If it comes then you’ve got a megastar if not whatever. I think if you’re picking higher up you’d probably want more certainty of the offense but at 10 for a team with the weapons on the backend we already have this is great

Reactions: HanSolo

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
Fitz has actually drafted very well. The only bust so far is Stillman. Luke Hughes will probably end up the best defenseman of his draft, Nemec already looking like the best of his draft, Mercer was a straight up steal, Holtz is lukewarm (can go in either direction but definitely an NHL player), Mukhamadullin we traded for an assest (at the time we were considered a reach), we drafted Casey who has looked phenomenal. I mean seriously I'm not doubting Fitz when it comes to the draft.
Holtz was a bad pick, Shakir was taken way too early and it lucked out it worked in a trade, Nemec is fine but there are still better players available that could've been taken over him. Mercer is a good comp piece. Stillman is also terrible, and this was also a bad pick.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Holtz was a bad pick, Shakir was taken way too early and it lucked out it worked in a trade, Nemec is fine but there are still better players available that could've been taken over him. Mercer is a good comp piece. Stillman is also terrible, and this was also a bad pick.
Other than him possibly still being 4-5 years away from joining the Devils he’s exactly what the team needs. A big tough shutdown left handed defender.

I can see the frustration in not trading the pick for more immediate help but this is a great pick. I just hope he can join the team within 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad