Roster Building XXI: It Gon' Go Down.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I actually heard at the time that the Canes offered almost the exact same contract to Trocheck that they eventually gave to KK, 8x$4.9M. Considering that NY gave a 7 year pact, that's practically an equivalent contract.
Especially with taxes savings it is equivalent. Vinny wanted elsewhere, it’s ok. But I do love the constant blaming the FO though.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
yeah no argument there. If we had looked at KK as a lost gamble and traded him at the draft a couple years ago instead of re-signing him, and bringing back Tro instead, we'd be in a better long-term situation. As we're sitting right now our two best bets at that spot are Kuzy regaining his form, or Necas (or Jarvis) making the move to play C full-time when they've never played the position in the NHL. As much as I'd love to bring Lindholm back it's unrealistic.
Daydreaming out loud but I wonder what we’d have to add to Necas to get Wright out of RF’s hands. RBA and Staal could train him in the dark arts of boring but effective defensive hockey and we’d have a righty center who has some offense. I can’t think of many righty’s we could get that are going to move the needle enough that Rod won’t go back to Staal essentially being our 2C which is on the table if we don’t add one. Especially if Kuzy doesn’t come back looking ripped.

We know RF will be patient with Wright, but you never know how much he wants Necas.

Reactions: Daeavorn and DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
f*** it, let's just dump a ton of money into getting Reinhart. 11.5m or whatever. Just YOLO this thing.
1719345402595.png

and i didnt try that hard either.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
The Canes are likely to build a much deeper bottom-6 instead of spending all that on both Guentzel and Reinhart, but totally. You can build a team like that if you want to.
that is a pretty deep bottom 6 when you look at it.

that is a good shutdown line not much different than last years and then we added 2 potential 20 goal scorers on near league minimum deals after bad years. if they suck we can always waive them and bring up FUS to play with Staal.

granted i would expect Patches to turn us down after the Achilles fiasco but I was just caught up in a landslide and escaping from reality.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
That bottom pairing would get eaten alive. And I don’t expect any of that 4th line to accept so little, even with Vrana’s issues and MaxPac’s injuries.
those are all the expected contract values for those three.

we may just have to play like the other teams out there and play the top 2 pairings a lot more.

but again just pure fantasy based on signing JG and Reinhart. "going yolo"

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Said it before and I’ll say it again if you don’t sign Guentzel you’re gonna be chasing the same type of player again for years to come. They finally found a guy that meshes well with Aho sign the guy and you’ve got your first line intact for the next 8 plus seasons.
If 8 years from now mid 30’s Aho and late 30’s Guentzel are still our first line we’re in trouble!

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Aho mid thirties is probably still gonna be a first line player but you get my point for the next 5-6 years then how’s that sound
Fair enough but I think Aho will tail off like they all do. Hopefully he’s still a 2C by the time he’s near the end.

For some reason we think our guys have different genetics than everyone else’s. Aho was a good bet because he signed his young. Slavin likely won’t finish his contract without being ltir somewhere and I think the same of Jake. I’m think both guys can age gracefully but that’s 35ish. Both will be approaching 40 if we signed them to what’s being mentioned.

We’ll be doing the same dance you see Vegas doing. Which is fine if they don’t change the rules and we’re as good at it as they are.

Reactions: DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
For some reason we think our guys have different genetics than everyone else’s.

I don't think that so much. What I do think is that with our draft capital strategy, there's a real shot to get those re-inforcements in the draft like what Dallas did, and as that happens, the Canes can gradually shift their core veterans down a line or two. Already we have a strong chance at that with Nikishin, and the Canes draft with far more frequency than what even Dallas did at the time.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Kylington would make a really good 3LD acquisition. Fringy 2LD that didnt play for a 1.5 seasons because of family issues. really good though and it will be a cheap show me contract.

I 100% agree, but it sounds like Calgary wants to keep him. Similar to DeMelo, I think the incumbent team has the upper hand.

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I 100% agree, but it sounds like Calgary wants to keep him. Similar to DeMelo, I think the incumbent team has the upper hand.
yea its going to be hard to get a guy to move on a show me deal like he will get. but as far as likely peak value contract, he has the potential to be a really good value at 1 x 1.25 million or so.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
its a choice not an inability. Dont believe in signing guys long term who they do not believe to be key pieces and dont believe in paying role players too much.

if it was an issue we wouldnt be as good as we are. winning the cup has very little to do with not keeping hamilton, nino, trocheck, etc.
I certainly do think its an issue; the same result has occurred each playoffs for Carolina and the one time they go somewhat all-in with Guentzel and... thats it? I mean do they wanna win a title or is this just for consistency sake?

Being a continual ECF contender is great but I very much disagree if the picks and prospects youve had these last 3-4 years were used even for one fat run, youd have a SCF appearance

Its a fine strategy to try but eventually the talent coming in wont be there and then youll have to do exactly what youre advocating not to; overpay to get good talent like every winning team ever has

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
The plan from Dundon and the front office is basically "we want to make the playoffs every year for a decade and have a chance rather then go all in for 2-3 years and then be bad"

Basically go with the idea of once you're in then anything can happen.
That makes sense but... Id assume the wallet funding it all would see even a single SCF appearance as profitable, no? All-in just once?

Now the prospect pool isnt as stacked as before so the value going out wont return as much

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I certainly do think its an issue; the same result has occurred each playoffs for Carolina and the one time they go somewhat all-in with Guentzel and... thats it? I mean do they wanna win a title or is this just for consistency sake?

Being a continual ECF contender is great but I very much disagree if the picks and prospects youve had these last 3-4 years were used even for one fat run, youd have a SCF appearance

Its a fine strategy to try but eventually the talent coming in wont be there and then youll have to do exactly what youre advocating not to; overpay to get good talent like every winning team ever has
Who are you and what team are you a fan of?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad