Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
6aad8326-e0c3-42f1-a166-583b9b169ee3_text.gif

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Ron Francis drafted Necas, so there's always that.

Necas isn't getting traded until the organization either signs Guentzel or has a replacement for one or the other. Given that, I don't think a futures trade is in the future.....yet.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Ron Francis drafted Necas, so there's always that.

Necas isn't getting traded until the organization either signs Guentzel or has a replacement for one or the other. Given that, I don't think a futures trade is in the future.....yet.
I think the org views it as addition by subtraction and he's gone regardless, especially with the money he's demanding. If you can trade him with an extension lined up, you maximize the value you'll ever get out of him.

Reactions: Tryamw

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
until the draft where FO personnel are near agents again to discuss numbers, we likely wont here much on many FAs. Jake will probably learn of the numbers he will get on July 1st around that time.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I wouldn't mind Guentzel back. I'm also not sold he's the guy you break the mold for (no rich long term UFA deals, esp to guys in their late 20s/30s), nor is he a guy I'd lament in hindsight if time shows the opportunity cost of not signing him went to nothing tangibly better.

I'll be happy if he's back, I also won't join the riot when he signs with Vancouver

Although saying that, I also think the front office overestimates how hard it is to make bad contracts go away

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016
Sucks the draft is the day before UFA day. I guess Canes wait to see if they can get a possible JG replacement via trade that night. If not, they make their last stand that night? Interesting final week.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Sucks the draft is the day before UFA day. I guess Canes wait to see if they can get a possible JG replacement via trade that night. If not, they make their last stand that night? Interesting final week.
Isn't the draft Friday and UFA Monday? Still not a great length of time but not that compressed.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Around an 1hr and 8mins in - Seravalli speculates the Canes’ offer to Guentzel is just under $8M x 8

Also, he doesn’t name the Canucks as favorites, but sure does mention a lot of things that Guentzel may “like” about Vancouver. Says they’ll need to offer around $9.5M x 7 to match Canes offer. Mentions that he doesn’t think the Canucks need to worry about giving up a pick to negotiate early.

I dunno, personally, were I the Canes mgmt team if all it took was a couple hundred more thousand to re-up Guentzel with that 8th year, I just do it.

Sure sounds like he’s Vancouver-bound regardless

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Around an 1hr and 8mins in - Seravalli speculates the Canes’ offer to Guentzel is just under $8M x 8

Also, he doesn’t name the Canucks as favorites, but sure does mention a lot of things that Guentzel may “like” about Vancouver. Says they’ll need to offer around $9.5M x 7 to match Canes offer. Mentions that he doesn’t think the Canucks need to worry about giving up a pick to negotiate early.

I dunno, personally, were I the Canes mgmt team if all it took was a couple hundred more thousand to re-up Guentzel with that 8th year, I just do it.

Sure sounds like he’s Vancouver-bound regardless
I imagine the Canes would be down for a number in the 8’s x 8 for Guentzel, but won’t give that offer until the day before free agency.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I imagine the Canes would be down for a number in the 8’s x 8 for Guentzel, but won’t give that offer until the day before free agency.
8.5x8 (68m) would put the earnings over 7x9.5. (66.5m)

Also taxes and cost of living is cheaper here...

Load the 1st 6 season with bonuses and NMC, and last 2 season with low pay and NTC

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
8.5x8 (68m) would put the earnings over 7x9.5. (66.5m)

Also taxes and cost of living is cheaper here...

Load the 1st 6 season with bonuses and NMC, and last 2 season with low pay and NTC
He's playing year 8 regardless and will still be making well more than 1.5m that year. Please stop. When comparing earnings you cannot just compare the total contract values without accounting for what the contract is likely to be over the additional years the longer contract is buying. It does not and never has worked that way.

Reactions: Tryamw

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
He's playing year 8 regardless and will still be making well more than 1.5m that year. Please stop. When comparing earnings you cannot just compare the total contract values without accounting for what the contract is likely to be over the additional years the longer contract is buying. It does not and never has worked that way.
If the 8th year doesn't buy you a lower AAV for the life of the contract, then what is the advantage of having the 8th year option vs the UFA 7 year option?

He would be 37 at the end of a UFA contract or 38 at the end of ours, that last year of contract is guaranteed pay he might not get.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
If the 8th year doesn't buy you a lower AAV for the life of the contract, then what is the advantage of having the 8th year option vs the UFA 7 year option?

He would be 37 at the end of a UFA contract or 38 at the end of ours, that last year of contract is guaranteed pay he might not get.
Stability and predictability. It's one more year of pay you're 100% sure you'll get. For some players that matters a lot. But it rarely matters much at all to a player. It's intended more as a team benefit so teams can lock up the guys their fans are attached to longer.

For a guy like Guentzel who's near certainly going to be playing at 37 because he's not a guy who plays an injury prone style, it's simply not going to buy you that much of a reduced AAV. 95% odds of playing at that age for $3-4m means you need to buy that 8th year for 95% of the contract he would expect to get in year 8 to match the same expected value.

To make the point a little more aggressively, if you offer $40m over 4 years, would you consider that to be an equivalent deal to $40m over 8 years? Of course not. But that's the exact same logic you're trying to use here.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The reason why Carolina doesn't feel like it needs to play desperate for Guentzel is precisely because we're in a great position as far as our team's stability and overall success is concerned. Even if Guentzel ultimately chooses Vancouver (honestly, as much as I don't personally like it, it's a lot better than an Eastern team!), there will be tons of good players in UFA who will want to play for us.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Going ahead and starting the new thread since stuff's about to get moving in a serious way. Continue stabbing each other over a million dollar difference in what we should offer Guentzel and exactly how much Necas is worth in a trade.
We should offer each 20 million a season.
Best way to proceed

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad