GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Talk - Picked 2nd, 18th, 27th, 67th, 72nd, 92nd, 138th, & 163rd Overall

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
this is the one consistent thing i hear about lev from people that aren't tripping over themselves to say he's nic lidstrom wrapped in drew doughty with a hint of erik karlsson, which is the primary reason i am pulling for demidov.
That article is so dumb, which is why I won't read it. It's targeting actual hockey fans, but it's a dumb f***ing question for actual hockey fans, because anyone that has any knowledge of the sport outside of just a recreational following, knows that it's far harder to find a #1 D than it is to find elite wingers. And it makes the assumption that Lev is an elite, #1 D.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
1719509348559.png

YZERPLAN

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Can't read this from work - don't have my login here.

I think a #1D for sure is harder. But that assumes they are equal caliber prospects, which it doesn't feel like that is the consensus (even using Bob's list for example, which is 2-1 in favor of Demidov).

Other factors, for the Hawks at least:

1) The Hawks are in pretty good shape with D prospects, but are very thin with forwards, particularly top 6 wingers.

2) The Hawks have a generational #1 center - they need to invest in Bedard and get him some talent to play with.

As you can probably guess, I'm for drafting Demidov. I won't be mad if they take Lev. They just better have a plan in place to find some top 6 talent. It's looking bare after Bedard.

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
That article is so dumb, which is why I won't read it. It's targeting actual hockey fans, but it's a dumb f***ing question for actual hockey fans, because anyone that has any knowledge of the sport outside of just a recreational following, knows that it's far harder to find a #1 D than it is to find elite wingers. And it makes the assumption that Lev is an elite, #1 D.
Well based on the article the difference was not great. I suppose one could argue the methodolgy was flawed.

Last edited:

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Can't read this from work - don't have my login here.

I think a #1D for sure is harder. But that assumes they are equal caliber prospects, which it doesn't feel like that is the consensus (even using Bob's list for example, which is 2-1 in favor of Demidov).

Other factors, for the Hawks at least:

1) The Hawks are in pretty good shape with D prospects, but are very thin with forwards, particularly top 6 wingers.

2) The Hawks have a generational #1 center - they need to invest in Bedard and get him some talent to play with.

As you can probably guess, I'm for drafting Demidov. I won't be mad if they take Lev. They just better have a plan in place to find some top 6 talent. It's looking bare after Bedard.
This is what I have been arguing for months.
As a matter of fact, I'm getting to the point that I might be mad if they take Lev even though I like him just because the Hawks were the lowest scoring team in the NHL last year and I don't really believe that anyone in their forward pool outside of Bedard is likely more than a 3rd liner. I think that the Hawks have some guys that have a chance to be 2nd liners but they have no top line talent outside of Bedard.

Reactions: Geoist

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
if you are getting mad about hockey, and you aren't on the ice or expecting some kind of paycheck for it, you're wasting your energy.
I mean in a talking sports context. Because of who I am I have much bigger fish to fry lol
Hockey means nothing in the grand scheme of things when your life is in danger.

Last edited:

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
I mean in a talking sports context. Because of who I am I have much bigger fish to fry lol.
Hockey means nothing in the grand scheme of things when your life is in danger.
i get that. some people, maybe not you in particular, do get genuinely way too emotionally invested in this kind of thing and that's more what i'm talking about with that post.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
People keep saying they don't want to draft need but I keep reading need arguments for Demidov
from what i've seen, the consensus on the demidov side is that lev doesn't project as a top pairing d while demidov does project as a top line forward. from there, it's pretty straightforward to say that the hawks need the latter rather than the former. the two arguments aren't mutually exclusive.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
from what i've seen, the consensus on the demidov side is that lev doesn't project as a top pairing d while demidov does project as a top line forward. from there, it's pretty straightforward to say that the hawks need the latter rather than the former. the two arguments aren't mutually exclusive.
If Lev doesn't project as a top pairing D he shouldn't be going top 10, let alone 2nd overall. This seems to be a really weak class outside of Celebrini.

I have seen a couple public scouts rank Lev as low as 16th recently.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
If Lev doesn't project as a top pairing D he shouldn't be going top 10, let alone 2nd overall.
i don't know what to think. i lean demidov, but i also think the lev detractors are probably exaggerating his weaknesses. i also have hardly seen anything of either, so take my opinion for what it is: entirely uninformed.
This seems to be a really weak class outside of Celebrini.
that seems to be the way of it.

Reactions: TheDachKnight

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Not really talking about this draft pick but Hawks D prospect pool is pretty overrated by our fan base and the offensive pool is slightly underrated by our fanbase.

If I was a Hawks hater I could say:
Vlasic needs to prove it with another year (I think he will)
Korchinski was objectively the worst defensemen in the NHL last year
Edm is a 4th rounder
Rinzel was an old freshman behind his age curve

And for the offense:
Bedard is just like… not considered? Look at the bruins 23-24 season stats. Pastrnak had 110 pts. The next closest player had 67. Bedard is all you need for a plus offense pool. Before you even consider Moore (wildly underrated) and Nazar (slightly overrated) then some very promising lottery tickets— Kantserov et al.

Mjul Qvist

Nov 28, 2009
If Lev doesn't project as a top pairing D he shouldn't be going top 10, let alone 2nd overall. This seems to be a really weak class outside of Celebrini.

I have seen a couple public scouts rank Lev as low as 16th recently.

Yet he was picked three times no 2 and eight times in top 5 by 10 NHL scouts in McKenzie´s rankings. If Davidson, Doneghey and co thinks he is the best player after Celebrini so it be. I´m all for Demidov but who knows what they´ll eventually become.

I remember being disappointed when Hawks took Toews and not Kessel and cheered when they picked Mark McNeill in 2011 because I thought he would become no 2 center behind Toews eventually.

You can be mad and disappointed if they pick Levshunov but let´s not pretend that we hold crystal ball here or anything.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Feels like there's no one to trade up with now.

Maybe Philly (#12)?

Utah's pick is available, but seems to rich.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad