Roster Building XXI: It Gon' Go Down.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The reason why Carolina doesn't feel like it needs to play desperate for Guentzel is precisely because we're in a great position as far as our team's stability and overall success is concerned. Even if Guentzel ultimately chooses Vancouver (honestly, as much as I don't personally like it, it's a lot better than an Eastern team!), there will be tons of good players in UFA who will want to play for us.

Name them.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Now we win cup
1719009420298.png

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Name them.

The guy I would pay close attention to is Marchessault. Him being a little older means he could be amiable to a lower-term contract. Lindholm fits an even bigger want than Marchy and probably won't be as expensive as Guentzel, either. There's a few different ways the Canes FO can go here.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The guy I would pay close attention to is Marchessault. Him being a little older means he could be amiable to a lower-term contract. Lindholm fits an even bigger want than Marchy and probably won't be as expensive as Guentzel, either. There's a few different ways the Canes FO can go here.

Marchessault might be a little older, but he's also coming off a 40-goal season, and that alone will get him a ton of interest. Lindholm has already (apparently) rejected long term, high dollar deals from Calgary and Vancouver, and Boston is apparently the front runner for his service.

It's a rather weak FA class in terms of high end talent, and a lot of competition for the talent that IS our there. So I don't think we can just dismiss Guentzel and say "Don't worry, we'll find someone to replace him!"

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
i had hoped we would have won it all by now to help plant the seeds in the lemming like microcosm that is NHL team leadership to adapt more of our strategies... it's better for the league as a whole...

almost all GM and teams do not care about the length of deals. they want the player and cave completely to whatever the agents want just to get the player and hopefully win... they wont be around to ahve to clean up their mess 5,6, or 7 years later if they sign a dumb contract that messes up the entire cap structure and makes it untradeable... the GM that gave all those long term deals to Sharks players wasnt around to have to fix the mess they got themselves in and had to blow it all up and lose so bad... one example in hundreds over the cap era so far...

so yes, I have no doubt that GMs will be utterly stupid and offer dumb contracts to players at the start of UFA and cave entirely to the demands of the agents and let the agents have too much influence in the whole process... I'm not exactly a big pro-agent person in this whole process... there are a lot of teams that will likely pay out the nose for limited elite talent... the flat cap helped us and our strategy... but if teams dont jam themselves up as much because of rising cap, these next few years will really test our Borg's strategy of holding the line on valuations and trying to moneypuck things while still spending to the cap to get the deepest team. I wished Dallas had gone further as they are doing good things with scouting and building a deep team... Florida GM and his team have done a crazy good job of reshaping their team in the past few years and setting them up even with some bad contracts on the books when he took over...

Guentzel at 37 is NOT going to be earning 9.5M per year... he will be lucky to get a fraction of that unless he is one of a very microscopic small percentage of folks that are still elite at that age... so ensuring you are getting a check until 38 whereby the total dollars spent over those 8 years spreads out and is slightly to your advantage versus taking on the risk of a 7 year deal at a higher AAV and then being good enough at the end to sign anotehr deal and get enough to outperform the total money in the original 8 year deal when added together is not a risk most players will take... its a completely different calculus for a 23 year old signing an 8 year deal or even a 27 year old signing an 8 year deal versus going to UFA and taking 7 and trying again at 34 versus 35...

If Marchessault makes it to UFA, he is more in line with what the Borg typically would go after... less term demands on an older player... so will pay up to a higher dollar but not be tied down to 7 or 8 years of it... a higher end player for a deal similar to what we did with Bunting last year... given Marchessault age he likely might join us on a 3 year versus having to give a 6 or 7 year term... the fact we were willing to go 8 years at a realistic number for Guentzel is a nice surprise and shows the borg really see his value and are willing to risk and adapt their strategy in key situations... yes we can dump bad contracts and it seems like lots of teams will help out teams with bad contracts for free or minimal penalty... can't believe the sharks just helped the rangers that much... but I digress..

Reactions: chaz4hockey

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
Today's hit of hopium...

Ty smith is about the age chatfield was when signed. Maybe smith gets here and the system fits and things click like they did for chatty.

I mean, go back and look at what canuck fans thought of chatfield - compared to that, pens fans and smith is a veritable love fest in that they don't universally want him fired into the sun.

Cue up the beach boys

wouldn't it be nice...

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
i kind of see Smith as potentially the 7th dman that fills kind of the TonyD role as the extra dman who is more geared for puck moving than the extra hulking defensive dman sitting in the press box waiting on an injury... and at a price cheaper than Tony cost last year....

which means we may need an 8th dman on the roster or who isnt a problem waiver wise to call up and send down who is the extra defensive dman in case of injury....

or our #5 beside Morrow needs to be more defensively oriented to cover and balance things out...

or Smith comes into camp and shows out well enough through pre-season in our system to force Morrow out of the lineup and down to the minors for development at 25 min a night in all situations.... then Smith is a league min #6 just like Chatty as mentioned above... leaving more money to be spent on high end forwards in free agency... we can hope :)

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
thoughts on trade for huberdeau? assume we lose guentzel due to contract being above team's comfort zone, huberdeau for Necas type deal. thinking outside the box just like the borg does..

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
thoughts on trade for huberdeau? assume we lose guentzel due to contract being above team's comfort zone, huberdeau for Necas type deal. thinking outside the box just like the borg does..
Calgary would never retain enough to make it palatable.

I’m not sure the league allows Calgary to retain enough to make it palatable.

• Haha
Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
STLs The Athletic writer wondering if we wouldn’t match a 5 x 6.84 million dollar offer sheet for necas. Lol
Apparently 6.84M is just below (or above?) a pick compensation tier?

edit: yes, at 6.87M 1+3 would turn into 1+2+3. I was afraid from the 5 year duration that they would be just that dumb (not that the 2nd would make a difference).

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'd rather move on from Necas all things considered but I'd sign that as soon as I stopped laughing. Worst case is you eat having him for a year on a perfectly decent contract and then move him.

I would only be left to assume that Marty actually truly wanted to remain a Cane but didn't know how to walk back the hard feelings so he signed the offer sheet to save face.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Could be interesting. I know he’s a big body; does he project to be close to NHL ready though?
According to The Athletic write ups he is already nhl size and should be a serious roster candidate for next year.

Would make the Canes’ interest in Ehlers make more sense if McGroarty was part of that return too. Question would be, what else do the Canes need to add. That package is worth a bit more than n Necas imo.
He is a top 25 drafted prospect, we would have to add a high ranked forward prospect to do that swap

It would be more like McGroarty and Montreal’s 2nd for Necas

Last edited:

baconandbread

Oct 30, 2019
I would totally interested in dealing for him separately from a Necas deal. Would definitely give up this year's first plus a B prospect and another draft pick if the Jets would be interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad