Roster Building XX: How Many Patents Does Your GM Have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Some Canes tidbits ~27-28mins in:

-they have a “long list” of GM candidates
-Tulsky is most likely promotion if they keep it in house
-mentions Chuck Fletcher as a possibility
-doubles down on Hronek speculation on potential deal with VAN
-Slavin a proirity
-more potential for keeping Pesce or Skjei with Waddell gone

Chucky? Oh Chucky!:nod:

There's going to be a LOT of Dundon and Canes-slamming online if someone like Fletcher or Chiarelli is in the Waddell role. Simultaneously, though, the group of people making decisions on the Hurricanes is miles different from the folks in Philly and Edmonton at the time, so I wouldn't be as excited about this as many opposing fans in the Metro probably are going to be.

One consistent pattern I'm seeing from Dundon, though, is that he seems to like having an old-school hockey man as the face of the front office. This is speculation on my end, however, having Tulsky officially being at the front of the ship would be a big change away from that, which has its risks.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
At the end of the day it seems like any GM would have to be a yes man to Dundon/borg. I don’t really think it matters. Seems more likely they can Identify that person within the org. I doubt we are going to like whomever if it is outside, as it will probably be someone with little experience looking to jumpstart their career or a washed up retread that is ok being a yes man because they have little to no prospects gm’ing elsewhere.
I'd still rather go with some nobody as that guy than Chuck frigin Fletcher.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Chuck Fletcher? He'll fit right in.

We’re just looking for the right player. If we can get him at the right price and if that player is an upgrade for our group, we’ll do it. We're comfortable with our group, we like our team, we already have a lot of players signed and a lot of kids that we feel can push for ice time and opportunity. Cap space is a very valuable commodity and if we’re going to use it, we want to use it wisely. Otherwise, we’re very content moving forward with cap space and let things play out.”

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
If we’re potentially re-signing both Slavin and Skjei would Nikishin be available for a hypothetical B Tkachuk trade?

Not sure if Necas + 1st + lesser prospect would be enough.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
If we’re potentially re-signing both Slavin and Skjei would Nikishin be available for a hypothetical B Tkachuk trade?

Not sure if Necas + 1st + lesser prospect would be enough.

The rumor going around is that the Canes and Skjei may agree on an Orlov-style of contract: high-dollar, low-year (say, a 2x8). That would leave room for Nikishin next year when Orlov's contract expires.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I don't see it. Offseason 2025 is the more logical time for the trade speculation than offseason 2024. Tkachuk's NMC kicks in July of next year. He'd still have a good amount of term to justify a hockey trade or a major package; 3 years is what Hamilton had at the time of his trade here. If Ottawa fails to improve, major change becomes even more justifiable.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
At the end of the day it seems like any GM would have to be a yes man to Dundon/borg. I don’t really think it matters. Seems more likely they can Identify that person within the org. I doubt we are going to like whomever if it is outside, as it will probably be someone with little experience looking to jumpstart their career or a washed up retread that is ok being a yes man because they have little to no prospects gm’ing elsewhere.

Seems like I've heard multiple Borg members say that while Dundon is actively involved (and almost certainly makes the final decisions), he solicits and takes seriously the honest opinions of the rest of the Borg. I'm guessing that he wants someone who can constructively contribute to the analysis, not a yes man.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Seems like I've heard multiple Borg members say that while Dundon is actively involved (and almost certainly makes the final decisions), he solicits and takes seriously the honest opinions of the rest of the Borg. I'm guessing that he wants someone who can constructively contribute to the analysis, not a yes man.

I wouldn't say a "yes man" by any means, but I do wonder if Dundon sees the Waddell role differently from the Tulsky/Yorke role, in the sense that it actually is about who is the guy with all of the old hockey men handshake connections. I mean, it's not that a Tulsky or a Yorke can't grow into that role in the coming years, but a Fletcher or a Chiarelli is a more established version of that type of figure, and either one of them likely would be an inexpensive hire because they flamed out so badly in prior organizations.

Justicebork

Jul 13, 2022
With the way we do business, it probably makes sense to have the face of the FO be somebody who is trusted and respected - maybe even liked - around the league. Its all about managing the egos of people who have come to expect control, though - honestly, we are probably looking for something of a unicorn. This might be the perfect role for Fletcher after past failures, TBH.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Some Canes tidbits ~27-28mins in:

-they have a “long list” of GM candidates
-Tulsky is most likely promotion if they keep it in house
-mentions Chuck Fletcher as a possibility
-doubles down on Hronek speculation on potential deal with VAN
-Slavin a proirity
-more potential for keeping Pesce or Skjei with Waddell gone

@cptjeff Well he doesn’t really say that Pesce/Skjei is related to Waddell, because that seems a little odd to me anyways. Freidman does say that when we first got eliminated he assumed those two were gone, but he’s heard rumblings that the stances may have softened a bit on that? He wouldn’t go as far as to say it’s really on the table but just that it isn’t as crazy an idea as he thought it was a week or two ago.

Didn’t seem related to the Waddell situation when I listened though?

As far as Fletcher goes they were emphasizing that Waddell had a particular role as every team in the league has friends of Waddell working for them. He facilitates and schmoozes. Friedman made a point to say twice that Dundon realizes that there is value in that role. Fletcher’s name came up as that, aside from the podcast I’ve heard many times Fletcher is a popular guy who knows everyone. Crap gm, but he always knows a guy. Friedman states this role would be someone who could do that for them while letting Yorke/Tulsky/TD do the real work.

Also mentioned someone named Aaron, I’m forgetting the last name but he’s an asst gm who does the contracts. That guy is a possible internal president hire.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
With the way we do business, it probably makes sense to have the face of the FO be somebody who is trusted and respected - maybe even liked - around the league. Its all about managing the egos of people who have come to expect control, though - honestly, we are probably looking for something of a unicorn. This might be the perfect role for Fletcher after past failures, TBH.
I'm not really thrilled to hear Fletcher mentioned because even if he's not "a true GM" as much as a guy with connections and reputation, this role would still make him "a voice in the room" of the brain trust and his decision-making in the past has been very suspect.

Then again, I wasn't really keen about Don Waddell either and that worked out well for us. So...who knows?

Still, if we're looking for someone who would fit the room well, has connections, and is well regarded around hockey, I'd rather look at someone like current Bolts AGM Mathieu Darche. Yes, he's not an old-boy's club guy...but he's been around hockey for a long time as an experienced FO executive and former player, and with additional background in business and marketing, he seems like a Dundon kind of guy. (It's the same line of thinking as hiring J. Willy, except that Darche has FO experience already. He's clearly highly thought-of, he's interviewed for 4 different GM jobs in the past year.)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
And now LeBrun has an article out re. Tkachuk (lol, said the GM) and Necas (good chance he’ll be traded).
Interesting tidbits in that. Supposedly we have plans to expand Necas’ role if he stays, and we think he has another level to him. That’s all that’s said there but that could be anywhere from letting him play center to moving him up to the first pp…. Which frankly after the previous season he belonged on anyways.

Suggests we want a star piece back, and not really needing futures as we’re in win now mode.

The irony of Don’s comments about wanting a righty center if we were thinking Necas was finally going to get his chance next season if he stayed….

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Interesting tidbits in that. Supposedly we have plans to expand Necas’ role if he stays, and we think he has another level to him. That’s all that’s said there but that could be anywhere from letting him play center to moving him up to the first pp…. Which frankly after the previous season he belonged on anyways.

Suggests we want a star piece back, and not really needing futures as we’re in win now mode.

The irony of Don’s comments about wanting a righty center if we were thinking Necas was finally going to get his chance next season if he stayed….

If not a star piece, a really-good premium-position player makes sense. I know some folks here are skeptical of Hronek, but organizationally-speaking, a long-term fixture at RHD makes sense for a Necas return package.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007

A Canes fan recently tweeted that Necas had the second-highest even strength TOI among forwards … by one minute behind Aho. Not a minute average, but one total minute accumulated. I thought that was interesting.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
A Canes fan recently tweeted that Necas had the second-highest even strength TOI among forwards … by one minute behind Aho. Not a minute average, but one total minute accumulated. I thought that was interesting.
Just goes to show it's not the system or his usage that is holding him back, it's his own play. He has never fully adjusted to the smaller NA rinks, and it rears it's ugly head each and every time defenses tighten up against him.

Maybe he eventually figures it out, but I'm kind of tired of waiting and I don't want to waste the 2C spot on someone who is still trying to figure things out 4 years into his career at wing.

Yeah that's a no from me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad