Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIV: Walk the line into the ring of fire

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The Devils played a season with 6 left handed defensemen on the roster. Martin, White, ODuya, Salvador, Greene, Mottau in 2009.

It's just out of fashion, not impossible.

The faster the opponents are, the harder it gets.

I wouldn’t put any relevance into how well someone did it in juniors or in the past in the NHL (not that 09 is ancient history, but still).

It’s a handicap and it also wears on players. The opponents dump the puck in on their side and hammers them. It’s tough.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The reports were not that he was “able to play LD in spurts” but that he excelled at LD with Sarnia.

having played there in juniors would make the transition easier and is likely why he has looked comfortable when playing on the left from time to time here...but excelling at it in juniors is completely meaningless in terms of being able to do it in the nhl. juniors he was playing against 16 year olds...I agree with you that he could do it and be fine, i just don't think his success in juniors means much

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Id characterize it more as KZB, and Panarin plus two freeloaders. But Panarin can only carry two forwards at a time, unfortunately.

Strome averaged .50 points a game last year and had 19 goals without Panarin. He's on pace for 72 points this year which is much more productive than Fast who benefits from Panarin as well. Why do some have to constantly diminish the guy's production? He's been good since he has been here. Period.

Reactions: egelband

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
This is false. 100% false. Of course it fits as a conforming contract, because it was signed under the current CBA. But that actually doesn’t have anything to do with cap recapture. It’s entirely the amount of cap saved spread out over the remaining term of the contract.

Article 50.5 doesn’t include any language about anything about deals that violate contract rules.

Take a breath, you are right the cap hit would be $3MM next season if he retires. Some are too high strung on these boards.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Take a breath, you are right the cap hit would be $3MM next season if he retires. Some are too high strung on these boards.

I'm not upset or anything. I just think incorrect information should be responded to in strong terms because people around here will believe whatever they want.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I'm not upset or anything. I just think incorrect information should be responded to in strong terms because people around here will believe whatever they want.

Or you could just provide the facts with supporting information in an appropriate manner instead of talking to people like they are children. There are some posters on here that are adults and can take being corrected.

GoAwayGiannone

Feb 2, 2012
Queens, New York
Let's say we sign Kreider for 6 years at 7M per. Who do we lose to get under the cap?
Probably Mika who I feel is more important to this team throughout the line up than Kreider and will no doubt cost $10m+.

And not in the sense that keeping him would be impossible, but would they really want to dish out another 6-7 year contract for another player approaching 30? Who also has an injury history?

Reactions: mschmidt64

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
you don't resign kreider to lose deangelo.

if you must resign kreider, then you move out strome and fast and skjei and theres always henrik.

makes no sense to recommit to #20 if you are moving #77

this is awful roster management
I proposed Skjei. I love Fast but he is due for a bigger raise and he doesn’t give enough offense to warrant that

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Probably DeAngelo, which is just one of the many reasons I think that is a bad idea.

Buchnevich+Strome is another possibility.

If we can extend Kreider for 6 years or less and not have to move ADA I could warm to it. We could buyout Hank and clear about 5M too but that's another conversation I guess.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Probably Mika who I feel is more important to this team throughout the line up than Kreider and will no doubt cost $10m+.

And not in the sense that keeping him would be impossible, but would they really want to dish out another 6-7 year contract for another player approaching 30? Who also has an injury history?

I'm have not advocated for keeping Kreider. Just trying to understand all the options. Ideally someone would blow us away with an offer and make it an easy decision.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
If we can extend Kreider for 6 years or less and not have to move ADA I could warm to it. We could buyout Hank and clear about 5M too but that's another conversation I guess.

The options for Lundqvist and associated savings:
  • Buyout: $3MM Savings 20-21 and Dead Space of $1.5MM in 21-22.
  • Trade: Likely would have to retain 50% so savings would be $4.25MM.
  • Retirement: as I have now learned there would be a $3MM cap hit so savings would be $5.5MM.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The options for Lundqvist and associated savings:
  • Buyout: $3MM Savings 20-21 and Dead Space of $1.5MM in 21-22.
  • Trade: Likely would have to retain 50% so savings would be $4.25MM.
  • Retirement: as I have now learned there would be a $3MM cap hit so savings would be $5.5MM.

I'm cool with options 2 and 3.

I can't get behind buying him out.

Reactions: Siddi

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

I highly doubt Mika would be the one to go especially if he is playing at a high level. Teams find a way to sign 1C's. There is close to 20 million coming off the books at the end of next year. The cap situation should be manageable by a competent GM such as Gorton.

Reactions: NYRangers0723

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Carolina has the prospects and the extra 1st rounder to work with

Wouldn’t mind making another swap with them
If they give us the Toronto first and a very good prospect I would be more happy with that honestly. However whenever I hear “kick the tires” I feel like it’s not serious interest. I’m a Mets fan and hear that phrase all the time when a good player is on the trading block/free agency and of course we never get him but I digress lol

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Or you could just provide the facts with supporting information in an appropriate manner instead of talking to people like they are children. There are some posters on here that are adults and can take being corrected.

You know what's funny? I was under the impression that the articles I've read about this were quoting the entire thing. Turns out... it's somewhat murky.

50.5 (B), which defines the recapture penalties, says

For any period during which the Player under a Long-Term Contract is no longer playing in the League during the term of that Long-Term Contract by reason of retirement, "defection" from the NHL or otherwise (but not death) (such that he is not playing and is not receiving Salary pursuant to that Long-Term Contract), an amount attributable to that Player shall nonetheless continue to be
included in his Club's Averaged Club Salary as described below.

I was under the impression that Long-Term Contract was anything 6 years or longer. But 50.5 (A) says

For any SPC entered into prior to the execution date of this Agreement (including any binding Memorandum of Understanding) that has a term in excess of six (6) League Years ("Long-Term Contracts"), the Averaged Amount of such Long-Term Contracts shall be calculated and included in a Club's Averaged Club Salary in accordance with Section 50.5(d)(ii) above so long as the Player is playing or is injured and is being paid pursuant to his SPC.

That seems to define it as only deals that were signed before this CBA. Which was technically retroactive to Sept 2012. Lundqvist signed his deal in Dec 2013. But a lot has been written about how his contract qualifies, so I'm somewhat confused now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad